logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Patricia G.  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 11, 2017 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi there,

You can't attach a POB to your post.
Let me know the name of the object and pieces and I will explain how to create these elements.

Or, if you wish, you can do a screenshot of the issue and then follow these steps:
- upload your picture to a free online photo album like Photobucket or Flickr or Picassa, for example
- Look for the link of your picture (usually, photo albums provide a "link for a forum" script) --> copy the full URL --> Paste the link in your post.
If you prefer, use a dropbox for the file and post the link for the file. Or attach the file to an email.

Patricia G. / Forum Moderator
--> My website: www.punchhelpers.com
--> My all in one e-book for V19 (Windows): Learning Punch Software (R): Training, Tools & Tutorials for V19 - Windows Version
--> My all in one e-book for V19 (Mac): Learning Punch Software (R): Training, Tools & Tutorials for V19 - Mac Version
--> My all in one e-book for V18: Learning Punch Software (R): Training, Tools & Tutorials for V18
--> My Home Design e-book: Designing your Dream Home Using Punch Software
--> My all in one e-book for previous versions: Learning Punch Software (R): Training, Tools & Tutorials - 2nd Edition
--> My e-book: Learning Punch Software (R): Basic & Advanced Training-Second Edition
--> My e-book: Learning Punch Software (R): Importing, Exporting and Printing-Second Edition
--> My e-book: Learning Punch Software (R): Power Tools-Second Edition
--> My free e-book: Learning Punch Software (R): Mini - Tutorials
--> My e-books free video presentation: Pat's e-books
--> My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/punchhelpers.links
--> My Tips & Tricks notes: https://www.facebook.com/punchhelpers.links/notes
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
Patricia G.  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 12, 2017 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi there,

The 3DCW Power Tool includes lots of commands that allow different options.
Regarding the parts of your table and your question about the different "level", there are 3 important concepts to review (please follow the explanation with the images attached). As you posted about my V19 eBook, I am including the pages of my eBook where you will find more about the described features.
1 - If you create a shape => select the shape => double click the extrude tool => a menu will open (pointed with a black arrow in the first image attached) => you can extrude the shape in a number of segments with a custom spacing between them. For example, I extruded the shape with 5 segments and spacing = 2" (pointed with a blue arrow in the first image attached). In my V19 eBook, see page 325.
2 - If you wish to work separately with the different levels, you need to work using the point mode, so you will see the object defined by lines and points (pointed with a green arrow in the second image attached). Using this type of definition allow the selection of each point or a group of points as well as a specific segment and (for example) adjust the curve (pointed with a red arrow in the second image attached). To adjust the curve, in my V19 eBook, see page 313.
3 - You can also select the points of a level (pointed with a yellow arrow in the third image attached). With these points selected you can resize the shape by using the "Resize Object(s) button (outlined in magenta in the third image attached). The resize menu will open => set the desired dimensions. Of course, if you wish, you can move the points or the shapes. Resize feature, in my V19 eBook, see page 315.
Hope this helps.

--> My all in one e-book for V19 (Windows): Learning Punch Software (R): Training, Tools & Tutorials for V19 - Windows Version
--> My all in one e-book for V19 (Mac): Learning Punch Software (R): Training, Tools & Tutorials for V19 - Mac Version
--> My all in one e-book for V18: Learning Punch Software (R): Training, Tools & Tutorials for V18
--> My all in one e-book for previous versions: Learning Punch Software (R): Training, Tools & Tutorials - 2nd Edition
--> My e-book: Learning Punch Software (R): Basic & Advanced Training-Second Edition
--> My e-book: Learning Punch Software (R): Importing, Exporting and Printing-Second Edition
RBond  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 12, 2017 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
RBond

ah HA! THANK YOU PATRICIA! Great explanation... and thx for the book references!

The moment you said "double click the Extrude Tool" I knew what I was missing! Awesome. I've been using the tool "manually" the whole time... never thought to double click it.... or even choose "Extrude" from the Edit Menu... Major "DUH!" I swear I read that section of your book... but it never clicked (pun intended!) The info went right past me! My apologies... I need to read more carefully ;)

So... going back to the POB I sent you... the cabinet piece started out as the basic "shape" (call it Segment 1, the bottom "layer") and it was extruded into 4 Segments (5 altogether including the originating shape) ... then each "layer" (segment) was then modified by the resizing, elevating and curve functions.

... ok... now off to more designing... :)

THANKS AGAIN!
Patricia G.  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 12, 2017 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi there,

You're welcome!

You wrote "So... going back to the POB I sent you... the cabinet piece started out as the basic "shape" (call it Segment 1, the bottom "layer") and it was extruded into 4 Segments (5 altogether including the originating shape) ... then each "layer" (segment) was then modified by the resizing, elevating and curve functions. => Yes, exactly! :-)

RBond  
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 12, 2017 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
RBond

When dealing with a Multi-Segment Extruded Object... it seems that adjusting the Curve Tension will affect the arc between points that exist on the SAME Segment... but I can't seem to affect the curvature between points that exist on the same extrude path... is that not possible?
Patricia G.  
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 12, 2017 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi there,

Yes, it is possible.
It depends of the view / grid that you use. Remember that the 3DCW lines or shapes always extrude in the perpendicular direction from the grid that you are using.

RBond  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
RBond

hmmm... seems no matter which direction (x,y, or z) I extrude a shape, or what view/grid combination I try... I still can't affect the curve along the extrusion path... only the segment path. Am I missing something?
Patricia G.  
#8 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi there,

You can't.
The image attached shows the POB you sent => if you analyze it you will see that the shape along the extrusion path was created using the resize or the skew features.

RBond  
#9 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
RBond

ok... right. So the program deals with the surface mapping along the Extrusion lines... which means the more extrusion layers (segments) the "smoother" the transition between them... provided you modify them appropriately. ;)
Patricia G.  
#10 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi there,

Yes, correct :-)