logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Patricia G.  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 30, 2006 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi Mark S Borders,

What kind of structural detail you are looking for? 2D? 3D? cross section? plan? CAD format?
AS 4000 V10 has a library with many structural details--> Objects --> 2D symbols

If you need other elements, let us know

Hope this helps

Patricia
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
Borders, Mark S  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 31, 2006 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Borders, Mark S

I saw all the details in Punch. They should get rid of the extreme detail on the insulation -takes too long to load. I'm looking for typical wall to roof/footing to wall details. It seems the creaters of these details could have spent less time with all the fill in the blanks and actually typed in typical specs and dimensions in the detail. Then, one could use the whole detail with less editing. Too much brick and block to remove. How bout some typical west coast details?
Patricia G.  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 31, 2006 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi Mark S Borders,

I know very well the person who develops these details ;-), and I can tell you that each line in these details is there or is not there by a reason

The details are exactly this: the typical constructive details following the codes, including the fact that, for a better understanding, the details are required to show different patterns for different materials. Of course you can delete the patterns if you wish, and save the details

But, in my opinion, the most important point here is why these details are in Punch, and what they are representing. These details are intended for presentation purposes only, for building permits, for example. Therefore the Punch user or the builder should fill the specifications
As I stated previously, if Punch or other sw manufacturer or any professional creates a building detail specifying that the height of a certain joist is 10" or 12" or other value, and then you use this detail to build your house and your house falls, the person who specified the values is liable for this fact

This why, the Punch details are not intended for construction and they show the "??" signs instead of a value

Yesterday a Punch user asked for the typical dims of the structural pieces. This is part of the answer
Regarding the "typical values" for the pieces, as you probably know, I am an Architect, so for your own safety (and your family's), let me explain some issues, starting with the building codes
As we all know, there is a building code, but each state has its own version / adaptation as well as each county.
An Architect, Engineer, etc must elaborate the interpretation / application of the Building codes, calculation of structures and foundations, etc. Not only for the technical understanding of these issues, but for the liability.
An advice regarding a technical subject (something basic as the wood dimension and independent if you are paid for this advice or not) implies liability. And this could be a legal issue if I (or other professional or a software) provide advice about a technical problem
Structures / materials are quite different depending the characteristics of the soil / topography, wind conditions and seismic calculations.

I'd suggest also, to read my article "Do I need an architect?"in my website

http://www.punchhelpers.com/need_arch.html

or you can check lots of interesting discussions about this topic in this forum. Perform a search with the word "architect" and "CAD"

Hope this helps

Patricia
Taylor, James  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2007 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Taylor, James

How does one view the structure of a wall in AS4000. For example see spacing of studs, headers and door/window openings etc.
Patricia G.  
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2007 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi James Taylor,

In the main program, the walls' structures just two vertical surfaces, textured or not.

To set studs, headers, etc, go to Power Tools--> Framing editor--> right click the wall--> set the parameters
This structure will be visible in the framing editor and of course, the info will be incorporated automatically in the Estimator

Patricia