logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MPRMPR  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2019 1:44:33 AM(UTC)
MPRMPR

United States

Hi All,
I'm using latest version (19.0.8.1023) and have run into what I think is a bug with 3D Rendering when set to Framing style. I have four Triangle Corner Windows on my 2nd floor layout. It shows properly when viewing 3D in Textured style, but when I change 3D Rendering to Framing, it display rectangular framing members for the triangular windows.

I have attached 2 screen shots:
- one shows 3D Textured with the expected appearance of the 4 Triangular Corner Windows
- other shows 3D Framing - notice the rectangular framing of the 4 windows that sticks thru the roof?

3D Textured displays Triangular Corner Windows as expected.png (677kb) downloaded 7 time(s).
3D Textured displays Triangular Corner Windows with rectangular framing.png (689kb) downloaded 6 time(s).

BTW - is it possible to simply insert an image from my computer into a post like this? I see an icon for Insert Image, but if I click on it, it asks for a URL. The file I want to insert is locally on my C drive, not a web image... So I ended up using the attach (paperclip) tool instead.

TIA,
mpr
Patricia G.  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2019 3:22:23 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi there,

regarding your questions
Originally Posted by: MPRMPR Go to Quoted Post
I'm using latest version (19.0.8.1023)

V19 is not the latest version (V19 was released in 2016). Current version is V20.

I have for Triangle Corner Windows on my 2nd floor layout. It shows properly when viewing 3D in Textured style, but when I change 3D Rendering to Framing, it display rectangular framing members for the triangular windows.

Punch creates only square or rectangular openings in Framing Mode.

BTW - is it possible to simply insert an image from my computer into a post like this? I see an icon for Insert Image, but if I click on it, it asks for a URL. The file I want to insert is locally on my C drive, not a web image... So I ended up using the attach (paperclip) tool instead.

Follow these instructions to include pictures

Hope this helps.
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
MPRMPR  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2019 11:52:23 AM(UTC)
MPRMPR

United States

Hi Patricia,

Actually, when I go to Help->Check for Updates..., Punch! Updater window reports "You have the latest version of the software". I guess their update checker doesn't inform users of new major version numbers, just incremental patches/updates of the same major version number. Guess they are missing out on some sales opportunities :)

Is it documented somewhere that it doesn't properly display framing for triangular windows, or just an accepted quirk/bug? Considering all the other amazing and complex things it can render, this doesn't make sense to me...

Your link that was supposed to point to instructions on how to paste pics - it doesn't point anywhere (http:///)

Tks,
MPR
Patricia G.  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2019 1:57:09 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi there,

Actually, when I go to Help->Check for Updates..., Punch! Updater window reports "You have the latest version of the software". I guess their update checker doesn't inform users of new major version numbers, just incremental patches/updates of the same major version number. Guess they are missing out on some sales opportunities :)

For any program (MS Word, Photoshop or Punch, for example), there is a huge difference between a software update and a software upgrade. In our case, if a Punch program needs a patch, an update will be released, and you will get it for free, using the update feature ( Help => Check for Updates). If a new version is released, you can get it in the Upgrades section of the Punch Software page
Of course, upgrades and news are announced in the Welcome Screen of your program => this is the welcome screen of Punch AS 19 => you can see the upgrade option is outlined in red in the image below.

Welcome Screen Upgrade.jpg (76kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

So, as you can see, the update and upgrade options are not mixed, following the industry standards.
Of course, if you wish to report suggestions, I'd suggest that you contact Punch directly. In the Forum we are just volunteers. BigGrin

Is it documented somewhere that it doesn't properly display framing for triangular windows, or just an accepted quirk/bug? Considering all the other amazing and complex things it can render, this doesn't make sense to me...

In real life, shaped openings require specific (technical) solutions. You can reproduce these framing options with an engineering program, but not with a Home Design program as Punch. So, in Punch we have only a standard framing for windows.

Your link that was supposed to point to instructions on how to paste pics - it doesn't point anywhere (http:///)

Did you check all the solutions, particularly number 4?

Hope this helps

thanks 1 user thanked Patricia G. for this useful post.
1234PT on 3/26/2019(UTC)
MPRMPR  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2019 4:09:38 PM(UTC)
MPRMPR

United States

Hello Pat,

1. Yes, I'm familiar with patches/updates vs upgrades. But, if you go to Help->Check for Updates..., it reports "You have the latest version of the software." It would make more sense if it instead said something like (There are no updates available for your version of this software. Click here to see newest version..."

2. Punch support seems to agree this might be a bug (just got an email back from them). I sent the same 2 screenshots as I posted here. They asked for the .pro file, so I just sent that too. I would think if it was a known limitation, they wouldn't have asked for the .pro design file. Anyway, I'll post their response as an update here...

3. Maybe it's a browser issue, but the link in your first post only contained http:///, nothing else. It pointed nowhere... Maybe you can edit it?

Thanks for all your help!
-Mike
Patricia G.  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2019 4:28:10 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi Mike,

You're welcome for my help! BigGrin

1. Yes, I'm familiar with patches/updates vs upgrades. But, if you go to Help->Check for Updates..., it reports "You have the latest version of the software." It would make more sense if it instead said something like (There are no updates available for your version of this software. Click here to see newest version..."

You bought a software called "Punch! Home & Landscape Design Architectural Series v19", then you have the latest version of this software. "Punch! Home & Landscape Design Architectural Series v20" is a different software and its upgrade is announced in the welcome screen as I stated. As I am a volunteer here, this is my personal opinion.

2. Punch support seems to agree this might be a bug (just got an email back from them). I sent the same 2 screenshots as I posted here. They asked for the .pro file, so I just sent that too. I would think if it was a known limitation, they wouldn't have asked for the .pro design file. Anyway, I'll post their response as an update here...

Tech assistance have their opinion, that I respect. I am a beta tester and at the time, I discussed this issue with the programmers. I just answered what I was told.

3. Maybe it's a browser issue, but the link in your first post only contained http:///, nothing else. It pointed nowhere... Maybe you can edit it?

There are four options to set pictures in your post, all clearly explained in the link above. Just in case, I am copying them here. What option is not present here?

There are several ways to add images to your post.
There are 4 different buttons as shown in this image
How to add Images to your post.jpg (19kb) downloaded 2 time(s).

- Insert Image Button (outlined in blue in the image)
- Insert Album Image Button (outlined in pink in the image) => Notice that this button will appear only if you activate "My Albums"
- Attach Image Button (outlined in red in the image)
- Create link Button (outlined in green in the image)

These are the different options:

Option 1 => if you have the images in your computer, you can use "My Albums" => click on the albums option (outlined in magenta in the image below) => the "Add / Edit Album" section will open (outlined in black in the image below)=> Browse your computer to find the desired picture (outlined in brown in the image below) => Upload your pictures => In your post, use the "Insert Album Image Button" (outlined in pink in the image) => you will be redirected to your album => select and insert the picture.
My albums.jpg (15kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

Option 2 => if you have the images in your computer, you can upload and attach individual images => click on the Attach Image Button (outlined in red in the first image) => the Upload Image screen will open (pointed with a yellow arrow in the image below) => Use the Drop File(s) Here / Add File options to select the file (outlined in orange in the image below) => upload the image using the "Start Upload button" (outlined in cyan in the image below) => the image will be uploaded and inserted in your post.
Upload image.jpg (29kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

Option 3 => if you have the images online => If they are stored in an image host (as www.imagevenue.com for example) => in the host website, look for "Hotlink a clickable thumbnail on a Forum or Message Board" or the image address (see image below) => copy this link => use the "- Insert Image Button" (outlined in blue in the first image) => paste the link => the image will be inserted in your post.
image link.jpg (12kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

Option 4 => if you have the images online => If they are stored in a file host (as Dropbox or Onedrive for example) => as they can not be hotlinked => just copy the link => use the "Insert Image Button" (outlined in blue in the first image) or use - Create link Button (outlined in green in the first image) => paste the link in the post => a clickable hyperlink will appear in your post (outlined in yellow in the image below)
link post.jpg (17kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

Good luck with your projects!Smile
MPRMPR  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2019 4:39:36 PM(UTC)
MPRMPR

United States

Hello, Pat,

Good people can have differing opinions - we are/do :) . I am paid as a technical writer to review/edit all sorts of software and hardware documentation for over 30 yrs. So I was just expressing my opinion on how the wording of the "Check for Updates..." info dialog could be improved. If they made the change I suggested, I'd bet they'd sell more software... But, nuff said :)

I guess I wasn't clear enough in my earlier replies: your initial link was broken - it contained nothing other than http:///. If I clicked on it, it went nowhere. It did not take me to any web page of instructions. So - thanks so much for pasting the actual info/images in your last reply!!

I do realize you are a volunteer - kudos! I wasn't asking you to do anything - just sharing some bits of wisdom in the hopes Punch staff periodically monitor the site to learn about what their users want, issues they face etc.

Cheers,
-Mike
Patricia G.  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2019 4:46:17 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi Mike,

So, let's agree that we disagree BigGrin

Good luck with your projects!

thanks 1 user thanked Patricia G. for this useful post.
Forum Host on 3/26/2019(UTC)
Forum Host  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2019 4:51:45 PM(UTC)
Forum Host

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Yes, the Forum is monitored but without interference (unless we detect profanity, spam, etc). This forum is just an user-to-user space, for learning ask questions, etc. ThumpUp

Regards.
Punch! Software Forum Host
Questions or Comments about the Forum? Email Me!
[email protected]