logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Patricia G.  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 15, 2017 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 114 time(s) in 112 post(s)
Hi there,

Does it happen with 2D or 3D or both?

Patricia G. / Forum Moderator
--> My website: www.punchhelpers.com
--> My all in one e-book for V19 (Windows): Learning Punch Software (R): Training, Tools & Tutorials for V19 - Windows Version
--> My all in one e-book for V19 (Mac): Learning Punch Software (R): Training, Tools & Tutorials for V19 - Mac Version
--> My all in one e-book for V18: Learning Punch Software (R): Training, Tools & Tutorials for V18
--> My Home Design e-book: Designing your Dream Home Using Punch Software
--> My all in one e-book for previous versions: Learning Punch Software (R): Training, Tools & Tutorials - 2nd Edition
--> My e-book: Learning Punch Software (R): Basic & Advanced Training-Second Edition
--> My e-book: Learning Punch Software (R): Importing, Exporting and Printing-Second Edition
--> My e-book: Learning Punch Software (R): Power Tools-Second Edition
--> My free e-book: Learning Punch Software (R): Mini - Tutorials
--> My e-books free video presentation: Pat's e-books
--> My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/punchhelpers.links
--> My Tips & Tricks notes: https://www.facebook.com/punchhelpers.links/notes
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
Charlie95722  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 15, 2017 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Charlie95722

Well, something interesting happened. I clicked to open a 3D window, and it worked fine in 3D. Then I went back to 2D and it now works fine - the problem I described went away. I then closed the program and restarted several times. Most of the time it worked fine. There was only one instance of the problem reappearing. Switching to 3D fixed it.

Intermittents are very hard to troubleshoot. So I will keep testing to see if there are any parameters that affect it. But between when I posted the problem and then tried 3D, I hadn't closed the program or made any changes to any other program or settings.

Can we keep this open and I'll update as I use it? Thanks.

Question, do I repeat the title in the blank title field of the reply window or leave it blank? I would think it would self populate with the string title?
Patricia G.  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 15, 2017 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi there,

Glad to know that the issue seems fixed :-)

Just in case, I'd suggest that you check and update the drivers, especially the video card.

Also, check if the issue happens with all the files or with "heavy" files (in Mb)

As per the email you sent me => can you inform the name of your program?

Of course, this thread will remain open, so please, let us know if the issue continues.

You don't need to fill the title line each time, unless you have a different problem.

--> My all in one e-book for V19 (Windows): Learning Punch Software (R): Training, Tools & Tutorials for V19 - Windows Version
--> My all in one e-book for V19 (Mac): Learning Punch Software (R): Training, Tools & Tutorials for V19 - Mac Version
--> My all in one e-book for V18: Learning Punch Software (R): Training, Tools & Tutorials for V18
--> My all in one e-book for previous versions: Learning Punch Software (R): Training, Tools & Tutorials - 2nd Edition
--> My e-book: Learning Punch Software (R): Basic & Advanced Training-Second Edition
--> My e-book: Learning Punch Software (R): Importing, Exporting and Printing-Second Edition
Charlie95722  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 16, 2017 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Charlie95722

I just checked to see if the problem was still there and it is. So I switched to 3D Walkthrough. Problem remained in 2D. Chose Fly Around mode. Problem remained in 2D. Chose Fly Around again. Back to 2D and problem gone.

Also, even in 3D, when the problem remains, there is a flicker at 5 seconds, but the mouse selected rotation doesn't drop out. When the problem goes away, there is no flicker.

This file is 637KB, so not large.

My program is Punch Home Design & Landscape Professional V19.

I will check for updates to my drivers.
Patricia G.  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 16, 2017 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Did you try a new and empty file?

Let us know what happened after drivers' update.

Answering the question of your new email: the notifications of "posts to moderate" don't include the forum's sections. If you send me a message or if you state the name of your program in your post, I will be glad to move the post to the correct section.
After we finish here, I'll move this post.

Charlie95722  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 16, 2017 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Charlie95722

I updated the driver, but the problem remains. It also remains with a new blank file. Let me describe the symptoms again:
1. left click the mouse somewhere on the drawing and hold.
2. wait 6 seconds
3. drawing screen goes full white and drawing disappears, but the Punch window remains with the pulldowns, buttons, etc.
4. Also, at the exact same time, on the top bar of the Punch window where the file title is shown, it briefly flashes "Not Responding" for a few milliseconds.
5. the drawing comes back if I move the mouse.

If I show two drawings at the same time within the Punch window (restore down), and I click on one of them and hold the left button, only that drawing will go white, the other one stays there and is not affected.

I reloaded HDLP V18 on this computer and tried to open a file I had modified with V19 - couldn't open it, as the file structure is changed in V19 the message said. So I opened one I hadn't touched with V19. Opened fine and no timeout problem with left button with V18. I opened the same file with V19 and it had the timeout problem and the drawing went white.

I also loaded V19 on my W10 laptop. All the files work fine and there is no problem. But this laptop has a 1920x1080 monitor screen, not 4K.

So it appears to be something within the program's engine in V19 that is making this happen with a 4K monitor. I want to restate that I am using an Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 video board (came with the HP 860 desktop) and have an LG 4K monitor. Windows 10 with latest updates.

Very perplexing. Since this seems to be a technical program issue, and not operational, should I copy this thread to the Punch support site? Thanks again.

Well, it doesn't look like the problem is caused by the 4K monitor, as my laptop (with HD&LPro V19) is now experiencing the same problem - open drawing, hold left mouse button down and drag, hold for 6 seconds and the drawing goes white. Punch window frame stays there. Move the mouse and the drawing comes back.

So it appears to be a V19..0.5.1016 problem with the latest W10.

I will test V18 some more to see if I can get it to fail. If so, then it is something to do with Windows update.
Patricia G.  
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 16, 2017 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi there,

(I merged your 2 messages so we have all the information together)

Since the program works fine in the laptop and both the laptop and desktop are using Win 10, I don't think that Win 10 is the issue here.

Yesterday I sent an email to my contact in Punch about your issue. I didn't get an answer yet, but we are in a holiday weekend so probably I won't get an answer until tomorrow (Monday)
Answering your question "should I copy this thread to the Punch support site?" => As you wish => feel free to contact the tech support if you prefer.

Charlie95722  
#8 Posted : Sunday, April 16, 2017 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Charlie95722

I would prefer to go through you and your contact for support, as that way the data is shared with you and other users. Just want to make sure tech support has access to the complete thread that has all my tests and observations including this entry. If they need any other data or want me to run some tests, let me know.

To summarize, the "left mouse click & hold - drawing disappears after 6 seconds" problem appears somewhat intermittently in 2D in HD&LPro V19 on my desktop AND on my laptop, both running latest W10. One is W10 Pro the other is Home. I can't get either to fail with V18. Upon opening the program, it doesn't fail immediately. I have to leave the file open for 5 or 10 minutes and then it fails for a while. If I switch to 3D, sometimes the problem goes away, sometimes not. Sometimes goes away on its own. And if I open two drawings in one Punch V19 window, only the one I am clicking on goes white - the other one is unaffected, and vise versa.

I am also testing with both V18 and V19 open in separate windows. V19 fails, while V18 runs fine. Can't get V18 to fail, on either computer.

I use Norton Security, but I disabled it while I installed V19 on both computers.

I think the "Not Responding" Windows message (on the title line of the window)at the same time the drawing goes white is a clue to the problem. But it is very brief and hard to see unless you look right at it while you click and hold.

Hope that helps in the troubleshooting. Thanks, Charlie
Patricia G.  
#9 Posted : Sunday, April 16, 2017 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi there,

One additional idea => Go to => Edit => Preferences => System => Graphics => Hardware Acceleration. By default, the level of the accelerations is "Full" => Move the control to the center and see if the problem is solved. If not, move the control to the left (None) => check if the problem is solved.

Charlie95722  
#10 Posted : Sunday, April 16, 2017 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Charlie95722

Tried both positions on both computers and no change - still have problem. Thanks, Charlie
Patricia G.  
#11 Posted : Sunday, April 16, 2017 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi there,

You're welcome. Thank you for your feedback.
Let's wait for the answer of my contact in Punch.

Patricia G.  
#12 Posted : Monday, April 17, 2017 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi there,

I received an answer from my contact in Punch: this is a random occurrence (all type of computers, OS and programs) and they (Punch) are working to fix the issue. Basically when tracking and holding the mouse down Windows thinks our application isn't responding.

estee  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, May 16, 2017 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
estee

Hi,
Any ideas how to set the mouse on MacBookPro??
Im having difficulties zooming...:(

thanks estee
Patricia G.  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, May 16, 2017 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi there,

Zoom using the mouse (Mac) => depends of the type of mouse => For a wheel mouse, hold the Command key down while you use the wheel.