logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Patricia G.  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 3, 2016 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 114 time(s) in 112 post(s)
Hi there,

I am surprised regarding your questions because the "walking inside of my house" issue is well documented in my eBook. Actually, there is a full section related with 3D navigation and the different tools, elevations, etc. (page 188)
In addition, this is described also in the user guide as well as many post at the forum.

Regarding the problem # 1 A short review of the issue and solutions => In 3D Live View you have 4 different tools:
- Walk-through tool => you will see a little man in Live view => to walk, confirm that you selected the little man and not the chopper
- Flying around tools => you will see a chopper in in Live view
- The Aerial View tool => you will see the icon showing a satellite/ earth icon to see a top aerial view
- Room View => select a room and then click on the icon showing a floor plan to see an aerial view of the room

In order to Walk-through inside the house => use this system to start => Set the screen as half floorplan / half live view (Split View) => set live view as Walk-Through (the little man)--> in the floorplan view, you will see an arrow symbol --> point the arrow with the mouse and move this arrow to position the desired Walk-Through view (in this case, inside the house)--> also if you rotate the point of the arrow, the Walk-Through point if view will rotate as well.
Of course, if you wish, you can use the mouse only => If you click the little man icon in the live view screen => using your mouse => hold the left button => go forward / backward / left right. The mouse wheel will look up and down. The right button will change the elevation of the little man.
If you wish to visualize the second floor of your house, for example, and the floor elevation is 120" --> double click on the icon of the little man--> set the elevation at, for example, 160" (40 or 50"above of the floor elevation)
If you can't see the point and arrow--> set the zoom with a very low value (2D --> set zoom --> for example--> 10%) --> see attached

Problem # 2 => I am not sure what do you mean. Why do you need to change the elevations? Do you mean the working elevation? Are you editing the floor?
Try to detail the problem as specifically as possible, so we can understand the issue. Let us know exactly what you want to do, what you tried, what seems broken, etc.
If you wish to post images --> follow these steps:
- upload your picture to a free online photo album like Photobucket or Flickr or Picassa, for example
- Look for the link of your picture (usually, photo albums provide a "link for a forum" script) --> copy the full URL --> Paste the link in your post.

Patricia
--> My website: www.punchhelpers.com
--> My all in one e-book for V18: Learning Punch Software (R): Training, Tools & Tutorials for V18
--> My all in one e-book: Learning Punch Software (R): Training, Tools & Tutorials - Second Edition
--> My e-book: Learning Punch Software (R): Basic & Advanced Training-Second Edition
--> My e-book: Learning Punch Software (R): Importing, Exporting and Printing-Second Edition
--> My e-book: Learning Punch Software (R): Power Tools-Second Edition
--> My free e-book: Learning Punch Software (R): Mini - Tutorials
--> My e-books free video presentation: Pat's e-books
--> My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/punchhelpers.links
--> My Tips & Tricks notes: https://www.facebook.com/punchhelpers.links/notes
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
Smitty  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 4, 2016 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Smitty

"If you can't see the point and arrow--> set the zoom with a very low value (2D --> set zoom --> for example--> 10%) --> see attached "

OK, that fixed problem #1. I never saw that arrow on the 2D side of the split window at the 75% zoom I had it. You have to scroll waaaay down from my plan to see it. I set zoom to 10% and there it was. Thanks. I'm still not sure why you can't "walk through" (make your little man go through the door) on the 3D side like other 3D programs, but whatever.

"Problem # 2 => I am not sure what do you mean."
I create a floor. I add another floor. I attempt to make the first floor the basement by setting the working elevation underground (-7'). I set the second floor to just above ground height (1'). When I switch floors, the basement resets to 0 and the upper floor resets to 8'.

I've tried to set the working elevation by selecting the perimeter (turns brown around the outside walls of the house). I've tried setting the working elevation by selecting each room of the floor. I've tried setting the working elevation of each wall on that floor. Doesn't matter which approach I try. When I switch view to another floor the working elevations are reset to 0 for the basement and 8' for the upper floor.

I've tried setting the elevation by changing the value in the toolbar (next to the floor switch dropdown) and by selecting Design/Set Working Elevation. No luck.
Patricia G.  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 4, 2016 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi there,

You wrote "I'm still not sure why you can't "walk through" (make your little man go through the door) on the 3D side like other 3D programs" => Of course you can! :-) Did you read my entire answer? => In order to Walk-through inside the house => use this system to start => Set the screen as half floorplan / half live view (Split View) => set live view as Walk-Through (the little man)--> in the floorplan view, you will see an arrow symbol --> point the arrow with the mouse and move this arrow to position the desired Walk-Through view (in this case, inside the house)--> also if you rotate the point of the arrow, the Walk-Through point if view will rotate as well.
Of course, if you wish, you can use the mouse only => If you click the little man icon in the live view screen => using your mouse => hold the left button => go forward / backward / left right. The mouse wheel will look up and down. The right button will change the elevation of the little man.
In other words, the zoom= 10% is a trick just to start, but of course, using the mouse + the little man, you can really walk, go downstairs, upstairs, etc. (page 190 of my eBook)
If you prefer, you can see the tutorial called "Navigation"

Problem # 2: probably, you are following the wrong steps, because it doesn't work in that way.
1 - Did you set the default ceiling heights and the walls' elevations?
2 - Did you notice that the object elevation is different from the project working elevation?

Open the file attached => select one of the walls of the basement => the object elevation is -96", however, if you click inside of the room, the working elevation is = 0" => this means the 0" elevation of the project.
This is well explained in the Chapter "Undersatnding the Elevations" (page 17 of my eBook)

Independently of this issue, check if your program is updated http://patches.punchsoft...scape_Premium_1700a.html

Patricia
--> My all in one e-book for V18: Learning Punch Software (R): Training, Tools & Tutorials for V18
--> My all in one e-book: Learning Punch Software (R): Training, Tools & Tutorials - Second Edition
--> My e-book: Learning Punch Software (R): Basic & Advanced Training-Second Edition
--> My e-book: Learning Punch Software (R): Importing, Exporting and Printing-Second Edition
Smitty  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 6, 2016 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Smitty

Yes, I read it all, and my little man would just paste himself to the exterior doorway and wouldn't go in, and the viewpoint was still on the exterior of the house ... until I clicked the arrow on the 2D side. Now he'll walk through the door, even if I'm in full 3D view. Strange.

Anyway, I've read the whole elevations section - twice - and while it defines how elevations work, it doesn't tell you how to set them other than the way I'm doing it. I'm attempting to do Case #2.

"Problem # 2: probably, you are following the wrong steps, because it doesn't work in that way.
1 - Did you set the default ceiling heights and the walls' elevations?" Yes. They are set to 8'

"2 - Did you notice that the object elevation is different from the project working elevation?" They are the same. The perimeter, all rooms and all walls are -7'.

The elevation resets when I switch floors. If I'm in the basement and set everything to -7', then use the dropdown to switch to the second floor, then use the dropdown to switch to the basement, the basement elevation resets to 0". I've tried setting the elevation on the toolbar and using Edit/Set Object Elevation. No difference.

BTW, as a Web enterprise application developer, I find Punch's approach to elevations to not follow the tenets of Object-Oriented Design. Which is a shame since the individual objects themselves are object-oriented (their attributes are encapsulated inside the object, such as the walls contain their own height, width, etc.). If the following from your book is true ...

------
As we stated, the elevation of the elements unattached to the walls is related with the level of the
project, therefore the elevation of the table shown on the second floor is 66” => this means that
the table is 66” above the 0.00” grass.
------

To be object-oriented this would read ...

"... the elevation of the table shown on the second floor is 0" ..."

because the table should be encapsulated by the floor it's on, not by the project.

Hopefully Punch will rethink this in future versions.
Patricia G.  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 6, 2016 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi there,

I think that you are having problems with your computer, because the little man is a movement feature and it doesn't stop at the doors => it is working great for me since 2001.
Check this animation so you can see how the little man should work:
http://www.punchhelpers.com/movies_gallery.html

Same for the elevations. You didn't mention if you checked the Punch file, where the elevations work as they should, so I am sure that the problem is something on your side. It worries me that you wrote "The perimeter, all rooms and all walls are -7'" => in your version, this is not how it works.

Re: your comments about the Punch program => As you probably know, this Forum is user to user (I am and an Architect and a Punch user like you, I don't work for Punch) so if you wish to contact with the programmers, please feel free to email directly to Punch software or call them:
http://www.punchsoftware.com/

Anyway, you wrote "Punch will rethink this in future versions" => Did you realize that you are using a very old version? we are 3 versions ahead and the elevation settings are different in V18.

I'd suggest that you check with technical support so they can check the issues in your computer, installation, patches, etc. as well as check your system, limitations, etc.
http://support.encore.com/

Patricia