logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WRM  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2002 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
WRM

Awhile back I purchased the Ultimate Deck & Landscape package. It is still installed on my machine. LiveView rendering is superfast and smooth. I liked the package, so about six months ago I bought the Professional Home Design Package.

I found the LiveView rendering in the Professional Home Design package to be VERY SLOW. Doing a walk-through is almost impossible.

As an experiment, I created a simple room (nothing in it) using the Ultimate Deck package and an identical room using the Profesional Home Design package. I can walk through the one created with the Ultimate Deck software - perfectly smooth. However, the one created with the Professional Home Design seems like it updates the screen about 1 frame per second - IMPOSSIBLE TO USE. I have set the speed to fast and I did all the suggested speed tweaks.

What is the problem here? My computer is reasonably fast. I have a 1.0Ghz Pentium III with 256MB of RAM. My video card is a 32MB nVidia geForce.... not a low-end card. The LiveView is virtually unuseable in the Professional Home Design package. why does the sme room in the Ultimate Deck package render so quickly?
Gardener, RB  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2002 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Gardener, RB

This may seem obvious, but... If you want to view one certain floor in Live View, set the Working Floor button (little house) to "View Working Floor Only" before going to Live View. This button controls what is seen in both 2D and 3D. This may speed things up a lot.
Gidzinski, George  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 29, 2002 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Gidzinski, George

Try turning off your video card hardware acceleration, that helped my rendering speed.
Gardener, RB  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 2, 2003 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Gardener, RB

One of the complaints heard often is that as a house plan file becomes larger it takes longer and longer to display in 3D LiveView. Even very fast computers with lots of memory will slow noticeably as the file size gets very large. Another factor that may be even more important is the number of curved objects in the design. I did an experiment to help understand the relationship between file size and display times using both curved and non-curved objects.

In the 3D Custom Workshop I used the 3D Oval tool to make a cylinder, 6” in diameter and 8’ tall. Objects created with this tool are curved by default. I used the Duplicate function to create a total of 100 cylinders in the Workshop. I saved this file. The file size is 69.1KB.

I made a second file in the Workshop. This file consisted of 100 3D octagons standing on end, just like the cylinders. The octagons are 6” across the flat sides and 8’ tall - approximately the same size as the cylinders. There is no curvature in these 3D octagons. I saved this file. The file size (surprisingly) is 129KB.

I put the 100 cylinders in a new, empty house design plan. I used copy & Paste to create a total of 1000 cylinders. I pressed the button to display this in full screen 3D Live View and timed how long it took to display with a stopwatch. The average of three trials was exactly 17 seconds.

I put the 100 octagons in a new, empty house design plan. I used copy & Paste to create a total of 1000 octagons. I pressed the button to display this in full screen 3D Live View and timed how long it took to display with a stopwatch. The average of three trials was 7.64 seconds.

Judging by the file size alone, one would think that the octagons would take nearly twice as long to display than the cylinders. Just the opposite is true. The cylinders (curved objects) took more than twice as long to display.

If your LiveView display time is slow the most effective way to speed it up may be to eliminate some curved objects or to replace them with non-curved substitutes. When creating custom Workshop objects, simplicity is a virtue. Don’t use curvature without good reason. Don’t create surfaces or parts that will not be visible. Don’t make 3D parts where 2D parts will work.
Wells, Scott  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 26, 2003 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Wells, Scott

For what its worth, I too upgraded to AS18 and upgraded my OS to WIN2000pro. Somewhere in or over that period of time I finally sat down to use AS18 and suddenly found that live view no longer was "live" but was now dead or asleep. All my hardware remained the same since the last time I used Punch Pro. The live view speed at that time was screaming fast. I spent a great deal of time tweaking everything hardware related with no perceptible increase in speed or quality and was about to give up when I switched my display color depth from 16bit to 32 bit. KA -Boom !!( the explosion was rather loud at the time). I was now getting somewhere. Things were now rendering and frame rates were now flying upwards. I'm using DX9.oa so I cant use hardware acceleration of the DX as my video card drivers do not support DX9a.so I cant vouch for the usefulness of tweaking DX exceleration options. I've also tweaked all the hardware Open GL settings available with my card and checking all the boxes did not seem to change the liveview rendering speed or quality. This problem seems to be purely a software dll issue. I'm not complaining ( I would be if my video card did not support 32bit). JUST REMEMBER " 32bit" Don't forget it, ever !! Punch still rules!!!
boone, chevis  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 3, 2012 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
boone, chevis

What is the best VGA card for running, Home & Landscape Design Architectural Series v-17, with out breaking the bank. I am running a Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB. With this card the Program runs very slow. Thanks Chevis
Patricia G.  
#7 Posted : Friday, August 3, 2012 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi chevis boone,

Depends of the type of work, and the type of file. Are you going to develop interiors? animations? topography?

In my experience, for intensive rendering use, just a good video card doesn't solve the issue--> you'll need a good "render set"--> good processor (2.8 GHz or up)+ plenty of memory (4 Gb or up) + a good video card (512 Mb or up with dedicated memory).

Now, if you wish to go to better levels, say RAM= 8 Gb, notice that not all the OS are able to handle this, so you'll need a 64 bits OS

Video Card--> I'd recommend ATI Radeon (512 Mb or up)--> The ATI Radeon cards manufactured by HIS have a double deck cooling system and it works like a charm. The new NVidia cards work fine, however, not all of the models work with full accelerations
Currently, I am using an AMD Radeon 6900 with 2Tb

Video cards are mainly designed for games, and games require speed: if you need to kill the Mars warrior (in your game, of course ;-) ) you should kill it fast and you don't care about the thickness, height or specs of the wall behind the Mars warrior, right?. So, in a game speed comes first and precision after. In Punch is different, the walls' specs come first (precision) and this takes a toll in the speed.
This is why, for some issues, we recommend to run Punch with less acceleration in order to improve the precision and quality
However, most ATI cards (not all) have a driver called Catalyst. This driver seems to balance speed and precision.

Patricia
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store