logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Patricia G.  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 27, 2010 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi Garret

Regarding your questions--> Is this normal? --> depends of several factors. But the issue can be synthesized talking about the balance between file size and computer capabilities
For example--> I am working in a project that includes all the kitchen elements (cabinets, all the appliances, open bar with wine glasses, bottles, even the small details of the espresso machine!!, so we are talking about a 30 Mb Punch file. My computer with a 1.5 Gb Ram + 512 Mb video card + 2.66 Ghz processor, takes approx 30 minutes to render the scene. But, with computers with 8 Gb ram and / or 1 Gb video card, it takes approx 2 minutes. So as you see, 20 minutes may be normal or not, depending of the conditions
How to reduce it--> As per the title you're working with the CWP, so I'd suggest to export it as 3DS format and use a free polygon reducer tool
Also, I'd suggest the following test--> create a file with 4 walls and a roof, and try to render this file--> it should take a real short time (few seconds actually). But if with this file, the rendering process takes 20 minutes, then, nope, this is not normal, and some other problem should be considered

Patricia
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
Manahan, Garrett  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 28, 2010 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Manahan, Garrett

Thanks for the reply, Patricia...My actual punch file is only about 400k. I have yet to add any internal decorations. In fact I am just starting to add windows. To the model itself...when I export the railing..it's a wopping 40+ meg. Now this begs the question...why would punch create a 3d modeling utility for use with there program that creates such high detail models that said program can't use them??? Furthermore, why would then not include some sort of polygon reducing utility within the utility itself (If there is one, I can't find it). Anyway...I will search for a free polygon reduction utility and see if that helps. One thing I know for sure is that is not my system specs.

BTW...another problem I have is that if I import the DXF files back into Custom Workshop Pro...it takes forever to save to the library and crashes the program when trying to add the object to my project. Yikes!!! In fact, the same thing happens if I try to edit the object from the project. As soon I try to save it back, freeze, then boom! hehe!

Thanks again...
Garrett
Patricia G.  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 29, 2010 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi Garret,

First, lets analyze the file types. DXF is a very basic file format. I'd say that is like a primitive or rudimentary form of DWG. Is one of the few graphic formats that can be edited as text. The text shows the graphic entities, and for this reason, the size in Kb of a DXF file is 8 or 10 times larger of the same file in a 3DS format, for example
So my first advice is--> if possible, avoid DXF. Choose 3DS instead. Their polygons can be reduced drastically with any polygon reducer program
I agree with you that a clean / reduce polygon tool would be a nice addition. I know that in the past, Lyle and I discussed this topic with Punch

Free reduction programs--> You can go to www.download.com and perform a search with the keywords "polygon reduction" and you will find some names, however, most of them work mostly with 3DS or OBJ
I'd suggest Meshlab as an open source

About the crash, yes, I found this problem before. Try to work with 3DS binary, it works

I have several 3D programs, so if you have problems with the objects, send me the file and I'll fix / clean them

Patricia
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store