logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
UncleFester  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2018 10:58:04 PM(UTC)
UncleFester

United States

OK, so I've ALWAYS (since AS14, 2007) had issues with applying colors/textures/etc in the 3D views. No matter how carefully I place the cursor, the color/texture/whatever often gets applied to something other than what I placed it on, usually something in the same line-of-sight, but behind or in front of the object I'm trying to paint.

AS20 has the same issue, especially in the animated walk-through. However, I've discovered that the overhead "room view" in 3D is almost 100% accurate. Which solves 99% of the problem (still a pain trying to get a custom toekick on a cabinet, or crown molding, but whatever, I can live with it.

What isn't acceptable is the "Smartwand" menu that pops up, even when I have Smartwand disabled. If I've got a relatively simple design, the menu isn't a problem - it lets me make a selection as to how the color should be applied (as designed, I'm sure).

But if I have an even mildly complicated design, or if I've put in a lot of 3D furnishings, cabinetry, etc., then that menu just pops up and instantly disappears, without applying the color to anything.

FWIW, I'm running AS20 on an Intel Corei5, with 16gigs of memory, Win10-64, and my OS on an SSD. I've yet to find a program that stumps this machine, but maybe AS20 is it?
Patricia G.  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2018 11:40:50 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi there,

Issues applying textures => the problems that you described are probably related with your computer video card. Sometimes, video cards that are good for games are not good for rendering.
In the new Punch versions (like V20), we have a solution for this issue => try this: in your Punch program => Go to => Edit => Preferences => System => Graphics => Hardware Acceleration. By default, the level of the accelerations is "Full" => Move the control to the center and see if your issue is solved. If not, move the control to the left (None) => check if your issue is solved.

In addition, there are few tricks to apply the textures
1 - Try to set the position of the little man close to the surface you wish to apply texture or color, however, you don't need to be on the floor to texture a floor, for example. If there are not interferences, you can even apply a texture from the chopper.
2 - If the element elevation is under the 0.00" level => the little man elevation must be also below the 0.00" level.
3 - Doors and windows => apply the color / texture on the surfaces parallel with the wall where the door / window is installed.

SmartWand: go to Design => Options => the Design Menu will open (outlined in green in the image below) => Select 3D preferences => general => (outlined in blue in the image below) => Go to Decoration Options on the right panel (outlined in red in the image below) => unselect the "Enable SmartWand" option (pointed with a red arrow in the image below)

Smartwand option.jpg (44kb) downloaded 2 time(s).

Alternatively, you can use Main Menu => 3D => Decorating options = unselect Enable SmartWand.

Important: notice that, the SmartWand is activated by default, so, if you unselect this option => it will be deactivated while you use the program but if you close the program and then, you reopen the program => the SmartWand option will be activated again.

Hope this helps.
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
thanks 1 user thanked Patricia G. for this useful post.
mjsmith000 on 1/4/2019(UTC)