logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pgriffy  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2019 4:48:20 PM(UTC)
pgriffy

United States

I've been messing around with punch since v 18. I get started trying to draw my existing 1972 brick ranch, get frustrated and put it away. I just upgraded to v20 pro and am determined to get this right this time.
I've got the original plans and have been working off of them. I thought I could:

1. draw the crawlspace as a basement with a height of 2' and elevation of -1'6"
2. draw the garage as a floor called "garage" with a height of 9' and elevation of 0'
3. draw all the rooms as a floor called "house"
4. add on the sunroom as an addition with same elevation as the house.

I've got it mostly ok, but put in the fireplace on the exterior wall and somehow messed everything up. Now the room with the fireplace has grass for a floor. Fixed that and now the kitchen that attaches to that room is a foot "taller" than the fireplace room. I've got a few other issues as well, but before I start over (again), is the original plan for drawing this (steps 1-4) the right way to go about it, or am I over complicating things? I'm also having problems trying to attach the switch inside the house to the lights in the garage as they end up on different floors, so that's why I'm thinking i'm headed in the wrong direction. But how do I get framing for floor joists in the house and slab for the garage if I don't do it that way?

I am also struggling with wall thickness. The exterior walls measure as 9" on the plans but the walls between the garage and the interior of the house are more like 3". If I have them connected and try to just change the "thinner" walls, it changes all of the perimeter walls.

Lastly is the pool designer and trying to draw a 5' above ground pool without it either being totally underground or floating three feet above the ground, but honestly I just tried doing that for the first time last night and haven't really read the directions on that.

Sorry this is all over the place. I can get a copy of my drawing if that would make it easier to see what I'm talking about but don't see a way to just attach it here. For now, here are a couple pictures to help visualize the layout

Thanks in advance for reading and any help!
Patricia G.  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2019 5:32:52 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi there,

Originally Posted by: pgriffy Go to Quoted Post
I've got the original plans and have been working off of them. I thought I could:
1. draw the crawlspace as a basement with a height of 2' and elevation of -1'6"
2. draw the garage as a floor called "garage" with a height of 9' and elevation of 0'
3. draw all the rooms as a floor called "house"
4. add on the sunroom as an addition with same elevation as the house.
I've got it mostly ok, but put in the fireplace on the exterior wall and somehow messed everything up. Now the room with the fireplace has grass for a floor. Fixed that and now the kitchen that attaches to that room is a foot "taller" than the fireplace room. I've got a few other issues as well, but before I start over (again), is the original plan for drawing this (steps 1-4) the right way to go about it, or am I over complicating things? I'm also having problems trying to attach the switch inside the house to the lights in the garage as they end up on different floors, so that's why I'm thinking i'm headed in the wrong direction. But how do I get framing for floor joists in the house and slab for the garage if I don't do it that way?

This is how I'd do this => Use the Working Floor button (see page 21 of the User Guide) => create a different floor for each location (garage, house, etc) => for each floor, set the different elevations (from the ground and related with other floors) => set the heights.

I am also struggling with wall thickness. The exterior walls measure as 9" on the plans but the walls between the garage and the interior of the house are more like 3". If I have them connected and try to just change the "thinner" walls, it changes all of the perimeter walls.

The exterior walls must be a closed perimeter. Once you draw the exterior walls, you'll be able to set the interior walls with a different thickness.

Lastly is the pool designer and trying to draw a 5' above ground pool without it either being totally underground or floating three feet above the ground, but honestly I just tried doing that for the first time last night and haven't really read the directions on that.

Check if you are using the pool designer power tool in the right floor / elevation.

I can get a copy of my drawing if that would make it easier to see what I'm talking about but don't see a way to just attach it here.

See the instructions to insert / attach pictures in the post called "How to Post Images in the Forum"

Some tips:
Punch, as any program, has a learning curve. The best way to learn the program, IMO, is practice + practice + practice => Read and follow the manual (this is important), see the videos => try to create elements not related with your project, so you will become familiar with the commands and how to develop the different components. In the manual, you will find information about the Pool Designer Power Tool, staring in the page 353.

In addition, you will find free tutorials in my Website and Facebook page
If you are interested, this is the link for the V20 eBook for Windows. My eBook includes tutorials about starting and developing a project, setting floors and elevations as well as a full chapter about the Pool Designer Power Tool.

Hope this helps.
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store