logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RBond  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 6, 2019 5:35:32 PM(UTC)
RBond

Pat... What's the trick to placing a cabinet object (from the Cabinet Power Tool) on a short wall length? I would think entering the cabinet dimensions (pressing enter after entering the change) before placing the object would create a cabinet of my desired dimension... but doesn't seem to be working that way.

I'm trying to create a Bookshelf as an "endcap" on a short wall (2'-4"). Looks like all cabinets get created at a default of 2'-6".

... you've probably answered this question a million times... but I'm not finding this answer on the forums anywhere

ASv.19

thx
Patricia G.  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 6, 2019 11:30:36 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 140 time(s) in 138 post(s)
Hi there,

Originally Posted by: RBond Go to Quoted Post
I would think entering the cabinet dimensions (pressing enter after entering the change) before placing the object would create a cabinet of my desired dimension... but doesn't seem to be working that way.

Yes, this is the way it works for most of the cabinets. So, if you place a base cabinet, for example, the default width will be 30", so you can select it and change the width as desired (28", as you stated).
However, there are 2 situations where the rules are not the same.
1 - Cabinets with appliances: if you place a fridge cabinet (width= 36") you can't resize the width to 30", because this is less than the width of the fridge.
2 - If the wall space is not enough for the width of the cabinet. So, if you have a wall with length= 28", you can't place a cabinet with 30", independently of the fact that you are going to change it. There are some tricks to solve this, as you will see below.

Originally Posted by: RBond Go to Quoted Post
I'm trying to create a Bookshelf as an "endcap" on a short wall (2'-4"). Looks like all cabinets get created at a default of 2'-6".

A few options:
1 - Don't insert the cabinet close to the end of the wall => place it one or two feet towards the interior => select the cabinet => resize as desired => drag the cabinet along the wall => you will be able to place it at the end of the wall
2 - If you have a particular situation where you can't drag the cabinet along the wall, you can use a cabinet object. There are several cabinets and bookshelves in the furnishing library.
In addition, you will find free cabinets as objects (Cabinet Objects 1 and Cabinet Objects 2) as well as tutorial 1 and tutorial 2 about this subject in my Facebook page.

Hope this helps.
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
thanks 1 user thanked Patricia G. for this useful post.
RBond on 4/7/2019(UTC)
RBond  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 7, 2019 4:46:31 PM(UTC)
RBond

Your point re. the default cabinet width is exactly the issue I am dealing with... I have to place the cabinet first, and THEN resize it... as opposed to setting the dimensions and THEN placing it (with default dimensions over ridden). Unless I am mistaken, that's been my experience... please correct me if I'm wrong Wink

The way I ended up solving the issue was to temporarily distort the endcap wall to a length long enough to accept the default cabinet width - place the cabinet - resize the cabinet - then return the wall to it's original length. But your point of simply using an item from the furnishings library would be the easiest!

… as always, Pat... you're patience with us "hacks" is astounding... thank you BigGrin

Patricia G.  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 7, 2019 9:33:31 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 140 time(s) in 138 post(s)
You're welcome! ThumpUp

Yes, the main idea is => you can insert any cabinet in a wall, ot very close to the wall end. Then, select the cabinet => set the cabinet model, new dimensions, doors, drawers, etc => drag the cabinet along the wall to the desired position.

In your case, for a bookcase, yes, probably an object from the library will be a good option.

Hope this helps.

Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store