logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Lucas, Thomas a.  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2023 6:25:21 PM(UTC)
Lucas, Thomas a.

I have PUNCH V-20,

When I noticed that the roof design tool automatically generates the roof as a 2x6 rafter. When right clicking on the roof design that I have generated and then right click
on the design to bring up the Framing properties and try to change the width of the roof rafter, no change takes place. I use a split screen (2-D plan and 3-D view side by side
to watch for this. This throws my dimensions off in the elevation view in 3-D as well as other aspects of my overall dimensioning. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a work around?

Thanks,

Thomas
Patricia G.  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 24, 2023 9:44:17 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi there,

By clicking on the exterior side of the perimeter walls, a yellow band will be created around the walls => Auto-Roofing => Options => the menu allows the customization of the Roof Options, including the Rafter Framing Options.

Hope this helps.
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
Lucas, Thomas a.  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 25, 2023 1:40:09 AM(UTC)
Lucas, Thomas a.

Did not help. I know how to go into the Framing Properties and type in the rafter width (2x6, 2x8 etc.) for whatever width that I need, but it does not change/generate in the 3-D view or the elevation view. The program, by default, makes the rafter width a 2x6. I know this because I drew a flat roof panel and then a 6" (inch) high section of wall to put beside it as a measuring stick. When making the change to the width of the rafter in the framing properties and and viewing the 3-D at the same time, no change in width takes place no matter what width for the rafter that I enter.

Thoams
Patricia G.  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 25, 2023 4:44:44 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Originally Posted by: Lucas, Thomas a. Go to Quoted Post
I know how to go into the Framing Properties and type in the rafter width (2x6, 2x8 etc.) for whatever width that I need, but it does not change/generate in the 3-D view or the elevation view. The program, by default, makes the rafter width a 2x6. I know this because I drew a flat roof panel and then a 6" (inch) high section of wall to put beside it as a measuring stick. When making the change to the width of the rafter in the framing properties and and viewing the 3-D at the same time, no change in width takes place no matter what width for the rafter that I enter.

I see two issues here:
1 - You need to visualize the rafters in Framing Rendering Mode. If you are visualizing walls, you are in Shaded textured mode.
2 - Glad to know that you know how to go into the Framing Properties. Now, next step, you need to apply these properties => delete the previous roof => change the properties => Build Roof.

Punch, as any program, has a learning curve. The best way to learn the program, IMO, is practice + practice + practice => Read, search and follow the User Guide (this is important) => try to create elements not related with your project, so you will become familiar with the commands and how to manage the different components.
Lucas, Thomas a.  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 8, 2023 12:02:10 AM(UTC)
Lucas, Thomas a.

STEP 1 : I click on and select the roof that I have drawn.

STEP 3 : I right click on the roof and select >>>> Framing Properties at the bottom in the drop down menu.

STEP 4 : I select >>>>Framing Rafters in the next box that comes up and type in the second box below that >>> Size: 2x (and then the width of the rafter in the box ( 8")
While doing this in the 2D plan, I have a split screen with the 3D Live View up as well to see if the change takes place after typing in the new dimension,but it does not1
I am beginning to wonder if this is a flaw in the program??? I have attached two (2) images of what I am trying to do. Hopefully, they uploaded properly

Thanks,

Thomas Lucas

4[/attach] 20230307_175859.jpg (216kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
Lucas, Thomas a.  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 8, 2023 12:03:14 AM(UTC)
Lucas, Thomas a.

20230307_181152.jpg (115kb) downloaded 5 time(s). 20230307_181152.jpg (115kb) downloaded 5 time(s).
Patricia G.  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 8, 2023 4:23:10 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

I have a split screen with the 3D Live View up as well to see if the change takes place after typing in the new dimension, but it does not

I don't see any 3D live view in your images.

I am beginning to wonder if this is a flaw in the program???
The problem is not the program Cool (actually, the program works fine!)

Did you read my previous answer? are you rendering in Framing mode?

Check the image below with 2 different rafters' sizes (8"and 20"), visualized in Framing mode. The difference is clear.

Framing 01.jpg (66kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

Framing 02.jpg (61kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

thanks 1 user thanked Patricia G. for this useful post.
1234PT on 3/9/2023(UTC)