logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Patricia G.  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 27, 2017 7:00:00 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Hi there,

You can generate gable auto roofs using gable walls.

Patricia G. / Forum Moderator
--> My website: www.punchhelpers.com
--> My all in one e-book for V19 (Windows): Learning Punch Software (R): Training, Tools & Tutorials for V19 - Windows Version
--> My all in one e-book for V19 (Mac): Learning Punch Software (R): Training, Tools & Tutorials for V19 - Mac Version
--> My all in one e-book for V18: Learning Punch Software (R): Training, Tools & Tutorials for V18
--> My Home Design e-book: Designing your Dream Home Using Punch Software
--> My all in one e-book for previous versions: Learning Punch Software (R): Training, Tools & Tutorials - 2nd Edition
--> My e-book: Learning Punch Software (R): Basic & Advanced Training-Second Edition
--> My e-book: Learning Punch Software (R): Importing, Exporting and Printing-Second Edition
--> My e-book: Learning Punch Software (R): Power Tools-Second Edition
--> My free e-book: Learning Punch Software (R): Mini - Tutorials
--> My e-books free video presentation: Pat's e-books
--> My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/punchhelpers.links
--> My Tips & Tricks notes: https://www.facebook.com/punchhelpers.links/notes
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
smolenr  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 28, 2017 7:00:00 PM(UTC)
smolenr

OK, I guess I answered my own question. I went ahead and created the gable walls and then used the auto roof function and it still only created hip roofs. Is there a way to teach the software to automatically create gable roofs?
Per instructions, I went into auto roof properties and adjusted the pitch to 6:12. Then I made sure that the outside walls were gable (where the peaks would be formed) and yet the auto roof function still created hip roofs. Is this a glitch?
Patricia G.  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 28, 2017 7:00:00 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi there,

No glitch here. You just need a little practice to see how the program works.
Punch, as any program, has a learning curve. The best way to learn the program, IMO, is practice + practice + practice => Read and follow the manual (this is important), see the videos => try to create elements not related with your project, so you will become familiar with the commands and how to develop the different components.

Try to follow these instructions in order to visualize the basic concepts:
1 - Create 2 separated rectangles => one rectangle with all the walls styles' as "Flat" => for the second rectangle, set the end walls' style as "Gable".
2 - Click on the eave of each rectangle and create an auto roof for each rectangle => see the different roofs in the image attached => for flat walls, the program creates hip roofs => for gable wall ends, the program creates gable roofs.

For some situations including odd roofs, or if the walls are not correctly defined, the program just creates the default (hip roof).

--> My all in one e-book for V19 (Windows): Learning Punch Software (R): Training, Tools & Tutorials for V19 - Windows Version
--> My all in one e-book for V19 (Mac): Learning Punch Software (R): Training, Tools & Tutorials for V19 - Mac Version
--> My all in one e-book for V18: Learning Punch Software (R): Training, Tools & Tutorials for V18
--> My all in one e-book for previous versions: Learning Punch Software (R): Training, Tools & Tutorials - 2nd Edition
--> My e-book: Learning Punch Software (R): Basic & Advanced Training-Second Edition
--> My e-book: Learning Punch Software (R): Importing, Exporting and Printing-Second Edition
smolenr  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 28, 2017 7:00:00 PM(UTC)
smolenr

I get the practice bit, but what wasn't obvious to me is that you must use the descriptor that has "Gable" in it, for the gable roof to take effect. I was also using shed and shed reversed to create the gable style wall. That's because I have an endpoint midway along the wall. So how do I create a gable, using the gable style wall, on a wall that has an endpoint in the middle because I had to protrude the wall out?
Patricia G.  
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 28, 2017 7:00:00 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi there,

In Punch, as in any program, there are rules and procedures that allow the programs to get an output strictly related with the correct input. So for example, if you put a wall upside down (just to put an example), you won't get a roof upside down :-)
In this case, although they may look similar, a gable wall is not the same that a 2 shed walls together.

So, let's review the following concepts:
- The walls' styles are as strictly as defined in the information bar (right side of the screen)
- The flat walls (first style) are the ones with a straight top.
- The gable walls (second style) are the ones with angled top.
- If you use the Auto Roof feature => for flat walls, the program creates hip roofs => for gable wall ends, the program creates gable roofs.
- Certain project's conditions or design characteristics require special walls => in this case, the walls created using 2 or more styles in the same component are called "Custom Shape Walls"(you can lean more in my eBook, page 53)
- Of course, Custom Shape Walls need Custom Roof Shapes (you can lean more in my eBook, page 74)
- In my opinion, the best approach to create a Custom Roof is suing the "Freehand Roof Tool"

Now, if you have hip roof created with the "Freehand Roof Tool" or the Autoroof feature, you can easily edit it and convert the hip roof to gable roof => delete the ends and move the ridge points towards the wall ends (see attached)

smolenr  
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 28, 2017 7:00:00 PM(UTC)
smolenr

Thank you for further clarification and I believe that I do understand these (including the gable is not the same as shed). My frustration is trying to execute some commands and they do not seem to work as I think they should. The attached picture should explain my frustration. And yes, converting hip to gable would be easiest for me (I think).

https://www.dropbox.com/...to+Gable+Roof+Issue.pptx
Patricia G.  
#7 Posted : Saturday, October 28, 2017 7:00:00 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi there,

Your link can't be opened (as a private account, I can't access it). Can you post the picture using a public link?

If you wish to post images --> follow these steps:
- upload your picture to a free online photo album like Photobucket or Flickr or Picassa, for example
- Look for the link of your picture (usually, photo albums provide a "link for a forum" script) --> copy the full URL --> Paste the link in your post

smolenr  
#8 Posted : Saturday, October 28, 2017 7:00:00 PM(UTC)
smolenr

Sorry for the delay in getting this picture to you. Photobucket isn't working right now and Picassa is no longer available. It is now Google Photos. Anyway here is a link that should work. Thanks

https://photos.google.co...S3FJclZKRVFfbGFGVzRPYWxR
Patricia G.  
#9 Posted : Saturday, October 28, 2017 7:00:00 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi there,

Clearly, these are not gable walls because they form an angle. Actually, as they are not perpendicular with the ridge, they won't share the roof pitch.
Editing the gable roof => suggestion => trace a line following the ridge an another line parallel with the wall => set the snaps => drag the point to the lines' intersection.
The roof should look as the image attached.

smolenr  
#10 Posted : Sunday, October 29, 2017 7:00:00 PM(UTC)
smolenr

Sorry, I wish I could understand but these are still very confusing.

trace a line following the ridge an another line parallel with the wall:
- Do I use the Detail tab and draw a line with that? If so, what do I convert the line too?
- Should I put the 2 pieces from the hip back in place?
- Not sure how the lines will intersect if they are running parallel.
Mike78  
#11 Posted : Sunday, October 29, 2017 7:00:00 PM(UTC)
Mike78

This is why I suggested not rotating the structure, harder to keep lines straight. That's ok though you can still do what you want.

Basically what we are after is a point at the gable peak to snap the roof points to. Use the line tool from the detail tab to create a line we can snap to. Make it the length of your soffit overhang, then rotate it to match the plan angle. Move it to the peak and then snap to it.
smolenr  
#12 Posted : Sunday, October 29, 2017 7:00:00 PM(UTC)
smolenr

Mike, thanks, very helpful and I was able to execute very easily. Now there is another issue that I'm hoping is an easy fix (see attached).
BTW - I understand about rotating property VS house, but we are trying to see how the house will sit with regards to the property lines and it will be easier to actually see it when we walk the property.

https://photos.google.co...zSGXrFkOuPWoBSXgUi-Pce0D
Mike78  
#13 Posted : Sunday, October 29, 2017 7:00:00 PM(UTC)
Mike78

I get the angle thing, just easier to work on the house when it's not rotated. They need to do some work to make it easier to work with the angles or something.

Link to image doesn't work.
smolenr  
#14 Posted : Sunday, October 29, 2017 7:00:00 PM(UTC)
smolenr

Mike78  
#15 Posted : Sunday, October 29, 2017 7:00:00 PM(UTC)
Mike78

It's hard to see but I'm guessing the lower roof has points offset from the ridge of the other side. So the high point (ridge lines) aren't lining up. Hard to explain, the behavior is correct its just that roofs are hard!

Look at the attached image and where my arrow is pointing. See if there are points there that are offset from the ridge and adjust them or delete them.
smolenr  
#16 Posted : Sunday, October 29, 2017 7:00:00 PM(UTC)
smolenr

Thanks again for your posting. Once again it was very helpful. I think I've got it, but I have several more gables to adjust. You've given me some great tools to help. Hopefully I should be able to get the rest. And yes, these roofs are an extreme pain in the butt!
Mike78  
#17 Posted : Sunday, October 29, 2017 7:00:00 PM(UTC)
Mike78

No problem!
smolenr  
#18 Posted : Sunday, October 29, 2017 7:00:00 PM(UTC)
smolenr

OK, a little more general question. What is the best way to connect a 4:12 roof into a 6:12 roof?
Mike78  
#19 Posted : Sunday, October 29, 2017 7:00:00 PM(UTC)
Mike78

You'll have to post a pic showing what you are trying to do, or at least where on your drawing.
smolenr  
#20 Posted : Sunday, October 29, 2017 7:00:00 PM(UTC)
smolenr

I used a gable connector to connect a 6:12 roof into the side of a 6:12. Now I want to connect a 4:12 into the flat side of the 6:12 connector. Do I just raise the elevation of the 4:12?