logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Patricia G.  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2005 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi David Houston Jr,

Well, first thing is, the tech support is right and I will use the same resource.

Let me explain: Punch has 3 floors (levels), and each level has (in AS 3000) 9 tabs. You can consider each tab as a different layer, with the exception of the foundation tab. The foundation tab and the floor tab work together, so the exterior walls of the 1st floor are the foundation walls, you don't need a second set of walls.

Perform the following test: Create an empty file (File--> new)--> Go to the floor tab--> you will see a small arrow at the right of the name. By clicking the small arrow you have the option of view / hide other tabs--> click in the small arrow--> the floor tab will be selected--> select also the foundation tab--> draw an exterior wall--> go to the properties bar--> be sure the foundation is selected--> in your plan, you will see the wall + the foundation--> put a window / door, etc--> Go to the foundation tab--> click on the small triangle--> foundation tab will be selected--> select the floor tab also--> your plan will look in the same way in the floor tab and in the foundation tab, right? --> Now, in the foundation tab--> click on the small triangle--> unselect the floor tab--> the wall and the foundation will disappear!
This means that you can draw a wall with or without a foundation, but you can't draw a foundation without a wall. If you draw a foundation, as this step includes a wall, and the you draw a wall, you will be duplicating the process

Hope this helps

Patricia
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
Houston Jr, David  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2005 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Houston Jr, David

First of all, THANK YOU for responding and trying to help, I greatly appreciate it! ... Ok, maybe I'm just slow (in my opinion, I'm not, but hey, who knows)... if the Foundation level and the First floor are basically one in the same, how can I put elements like windows and doors on the First floor without having them appear on the Foundation? I'm sure once I can wrap my brain around this concept, it'll just "click" and I'll be off and running, but for now, it's not making sense. Before I continue to the garage, the second floor, etc... I want to be sure I fully understand the various "levels" in the software and how they work together. (see the plan I'm experimenting with here: http://www.dreamhomesour...ecord1=1&RecordN=6#) I want to complete the plan in AS3000 before I approach a builder and purchase plans. I want to be able to "see" the house and walk through it before we make such a huge decision. That's why we purchased AS3000 in the first place. However, at this rate, it'll be 2009 before I even know if THIS plan will work. Please help!
Patricia G.  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2005 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi David,

I checked the plan. In my opinion, there are different approaches, depending of different aspects of your project
You can start, for example,with the garage and the basement (if it exists) in the first floor. Draw the walls forgetting the foundations.
What you will have is a set of walls with some X elevation, the garage door will be in one of these walls and the only foundation for these walls will be the footer appearing in the foundation tab. As I stated in my first message, you will be creating the walls, and these walls will create the foundations, in case you need them.
From there, you can put additional foundation elements if you find necessary, however, I would suggest to forget the foundations, and concentrate your efforts in the walls (floor tab)
If your goal is a set to show your ideas to the builder, certainly, the foundations will be defined by the builder so they will not make any difference in Punch

Hope this helps

Patricia
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
Houston Jr, David  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 8, 2005 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Houston Jr, David

Although Patricia's post helped, your post seems to have made the whole thing "click" in my head. I don't know if it's the way you worded it or not, but something you said helped a great deal and now I'm off and running! Thank you SO much! I'm not sure what I would've done without your help! :-D
Houston Jr, David  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 8, 2005 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Houston Jr, David

Although your post helped, Lyle's post seems to have made the whole thing "click" in my head. I don't know if it's the way he worded it or not, but something he said helped a great deal and now I'm off and running! Thank you SO much! I'm not sure what I would've done without BOTH of your help! :-D
Hollinger, Steve  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 9, 2005 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Hollinger, Steve

Using AS3000 the Help says to define a new layer, go to Design menu and select Layer Properties. When I do that, there is no layer properties choice. The only way I can get the illustrated dialog box to show up is by going to the 3-D tool but that puts me in a Design box for 3-D objects and not on the floor plan I would lake to create layer entries for. Help?