logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Keck, Roger  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 2, 2008 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Keck, Roger

Hi Trimsparky, I too have an Nvidia card (FX5900 Ultra - 256) and wouldn't have anything else - despite the noise made around here by all the ATI salesmen. I run the FX at full acceleration using the Forceware version 81.98 drivers and have to tick the Liveview speed setting back to the 1st or 2nd notch to be able to control it. It's fast, stable, and reliable - and has been for five years! If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Of course once I get three floors loaded with tons of complicated objects and textures Liveview slows down - but it does that with the ATI card too. The grass problem isn't nVidia's fault. To eliminate it just trace around your foundation with the Building Pad tool and make sure to set its elevation below your floor level. Of course, like practically everything else about this software, the building pad tool needs improvement. It's biggest headache when used for basements is that it doesn't dig vertically (nor offer the option to). The excavation walls will be sloped - even when you check "steep slopes" (which doesn't seem to have any effect at all in my observations). So you'll need to tweak the placement of the building pad outline to get an acceptable compromise between a little earth showing at the bottom of your basement walls, or a moat around the outside of your foundation. (Like I said, the tool needs improvement).
Patricia G.  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 2, 2008 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi Roger Keck,

The grass inside the basement is not related with videocards or other hardware issue. If it happens only in liveview, it is normal
If the grass is permanently in the basement, the exterior wallset is open and the walls are not perfectly fused

Regarding the video cards--> this is my experience of 9 years creating 3D and 7 years using Punch --> I will disagree with you and I don't sell video cards. I just work with 3D Architecture 10 hours a day.
I have 3 computers with 3D capabilities. 2 of them came with ATI Radeon and the 3rd with Nvidia. The ATI cards worked flawless since day one, with full acceleration. I upgraded one card to other ATI Radeon without problems. I am using now a X1050 256Mb in my main computer.
The (ex) Nvidia computer ran Punch only reducing the accelerations and after a couple of hours, it crashed
Few weeks ago I tried to install a 3D rendering program in my (ex) Nvidia computer. TG for the Windows XP Rescue Console!!! result--> I got a new ATI Radeon 9550 for this computer--> works flawless and we are talking of the same computer

I know that there are Punch users that have a different opinion, as you for example. I respect this, but as described, it is not my experience during these years

Patricia
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
Patricia G.  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2011 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi there,

This is a very common problem. The issues you are describing are symptoms of a video card problem. Try these steps

1 - Check the website of your video card manufacturer and update the drivers

2 - Go to the video setup on your PC (may be different for different versions of Windows and video card); for most, click on an empty part of the windows Desktop, click on Settings->Advanced->Troubleshoot). Back the accelerations slider to the left, one level each time and see if the problem dissapears

3 - Right click on the wallpaper (look for a place without icons)--> Properties--> Settings--> Advanced--> Open GL--> Compatibility Settings--> Force 16 bits--> Apply--> OK

4 - Set your video color depth at 24 or 32 bits ("true color")

5 - Go to www.microsoft.com/directx, and see what version is current and check if you have this version installed in your computer

6 - Some NVidia card users reported additional problems--> in this case change the color settings from 32 bit to 16 bit

For Windows 7 --> Right Click on your desktop. --> Personalize --> display --> Change Display settings--> Advanced

Now, if you the accelerations controls are not available, this means that you don't have a dedicated memory for video. In this case, you can't replace a videochip with a video card
You should check the manufacturer of your computer about this upgrade

You'll find several discussions about this here--> search with the keywords "black screen" or "frozen image" or "texture going to the grass" or "texture going to the sky"

If you experience additional problem, send me your file and I'll check it

Patricia
[email protected]
Patricia G.  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2011 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

The Nvidia 7300 is a GPU ( mobile graphics processing unit) so there is not an acceleration control.
They share the memory with the motherboard, therefore the acceleration cannot be controlled separatelly

Patricia
Patricia G.  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2011 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Yes, indeed, when this process is available. Unfortunately, not all the devices (as the above mentioned) allow this solution
All my customers with Lenovo computers + Nvidia GPU have the same problem

My 2 new computers with Nvidia videocards work with few problems

Patricia
Patricia G.  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 12, 2011 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

I became curious with this issue, because I saw the same problem in two laptops
I contacted Nvidia and this is the answer to the question I sent--> "Can you please confirm if there is any way (or not) to control the 3D accelerations using GPUs or Chipsets?"

Thank you for contacting NVIDIA Customer Care. The option to turn off hardware acceleration will depend more on the version of Windows you intent to run. Windows XP does support such an option and you can easy turn off hardware acceleration from the Windows display properties control panel. Unfortunately this is not true for Windows Vista and Windows 7, mainly because part of the OS UI is actually rendered using the DirectX API using the graphics hardware, and both OS and graphics driver will not allow this to be turned off. Windows XP does not use DirectX API for any UI element so driver can completely turn off hardware acceleration. In general most laptops running Windows XP should have this option to disable hardware acceleration, unless the laptop manufacture specifically disable this feature. It's best to verify with the laptop manufacture to be 100% sure.

I'm afraid there is no way around this for Windows Vista/Windows 7, not unless the application has built-in option to by-pass the hardware acceleration. Some applications that won't work well with hardware acceleration have been able to workaround the problem by disabling Windows Aero or by changing the Windows theme to "Windows Classic". This will disable certain advance UI elements and enough to allow applications to work better. This doesn't solve all problems though so I can't say it will solve your specific issue. Hope this helps, let me know if you have further questions.

Best regards,
NVIDIA Customer Care

Hope this helps

Patricia
Patricia G.  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 12, 2011 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Did you do this with a chipset or a GPU or with a video card?
The case I was commenting (and asked to Nvidia) is only for GPUs / Chipset included in laptops
In addition, as you saw in the answer, this can be different in different laptops

Patricia