logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mao, Benjamin  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 18, 2003 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Mao, Benjamin

I have the curved staircase issue as well. I cut curved staircase into sections but they not connected well and steps on curved staircase are not right. Is there any better way to do that?
CliffHua  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 28, 2007 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
CliffHua

Hi - I've got Platinum v10. For my purposes, I do not need mm accuracy, but do need things to look right in visual presentation. The interesting bit for one of the properties is an oval stairwell and stairs over three flights that follow one side of the oval. This is a fantastic feature that I wish to work on. I am happy to upgrade if this gives a better answer - but how can I get a visually good staircase & as important, is there a way I can edit/change/add new railings/rails/poles/finials? I appraciate that stairs have a different intelligence to an normal object, so have mucked about building a straight and complete stair, then deleting all other drawing features and importing to 3D workshop etc., but still haven't found a way to achieve desired ends. Haven't seen any similar queries on FAQs or anywhere in the Forum, so any direction gratefully received. I can send a plan view if that is any value.. Grateful thanks CliffH
Patricia G.  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 28, 2007 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi CliffH,

there is not a direct and magic solution or upgrade. However, there are workarounds

Curved stairs--> this is the way I'd do this (please, check the image attached--> notice that it was developed with AS 4000, some other additonal elements are not available in Platinum)

1--> draw the central landing with the help of the floor tool (floor tab)--> set the elevation 2--> In the Detail tab--> trace a curved line following the curve shape--> Select the line--> Convert to (properties bar--> right of the screen) --> staircase
3--> Adjust the stair settings (width, steps, etc) as necessary

Regarding rails, etc, Punch has, by default, only one model (square segments), however, you can design your own models using the 3D workshop

Check the staircase in this image, the rails, bars, newels, etc were created with the 3D workshop
http://www.punchhelpers.com/residential8.html

Hope this helps

Patricia
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
CliffHua  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 1, 2007 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
CliffHua

Patricia Hi & many thanks. V. helpful and inspiring that you can maintain this level of comitment as says product must be sound. yr image #19 shows the problems of patching stair sections together, which I need to improve on, so it looks as though the whole staircase needs developing in 3d workshop. I will upgrade (again) to as4000. Your image #13 also helps as have similar terrace requirements. My "Punching" ability, which I'm fully aware is going to involve some frustrated efforts, needs to be at a quite high level as am hoping a picture will represent the proverbial 1000 words - all my workers are chinese and I can't even swear well enough in Chinese to let them know what I don't want. Much less command the detail for what I do want. Is there a way to build my stairs in normal plan mode, export the stairs and import into workshop so I can edit, or do you recommend I just bite on that particular biullet and start from scratch in workshop? Sorry to be a pest, but if I use as4000 am I wandering into workstation demands? At present am using a pretty average desk top with tons of ram and disk, and even my lap top, which works surprisingly well thus far. Thanks again, Forum makes a huge difference to my ability to plan even while still so ignorant. with regards CliffH
Patricia G.  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 1, 2007 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi CliffH, Thank you for your words! :-) I understand you, I just developed a project for a customer in Japan, and the specs were a real challenge!! Regarding your staircase, is hard to provide advise without a clear image of your project Send me a plan of the staircase and I will help you Patricia
CliffHua  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 2, 2007 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
CliffHua

tnks patricia. Plan images sent. I wonder if i could invoke Kyle's help in this general area? e.g. could something like TKE Plans Plus be used to export a splodged together stairrun that nevertheless had the main features attached and use a format such that stairs could be imported back into 3d workshop for editing rather than creation - thus hopefully saving a lot of work in wokshop? regards Cliff
Patricia G.  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 2, 2007 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi Cliff, I received them and I already sent the answer. basically is what I wrote in the Forum, plus the use of the floor / floor cutout tools Do you mean Lyle? sure, only Lyle answers regarding his power tools Patricia
Patricia G.  
#8 Posted : Friday, March 2, 2007 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Regarding the design of Cliff staircase, is exactly as the image I attached, as I stated above The "Convert To" feature was implemented with Punch AS 18 V6 (right clicking), and all the following versions of Punch (for Windows) have this feature Punch Platinum V8 and Punch Platinum V10 have the Convert to button Please, see attached Patricia
CliffHua  
#9 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2007 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
CliffHua

Kyle, tnks

fully understand yr stairs and object description although not the answer I wanted:-). Why don't these people start off with what I want to do as their only concern?

yr last line is the key, but I can't see how best to do it as yet.

Have played with the line convert function and seems a good start, but how do I "of course (grrr) add the 3d created balusters and railings to my basic design"? Grrr aimed at me as this is probably blindingly obvious to all except me. I've produce skirtless, stringerless curved stairs with convert (tnks patricia).I guess I now add balusters from 3dWrkshp and just position & rotate a tad and 1 at a time as I go -a pain in the thingy with 3 flights and different ceiling heights - but getting a smooth railing looks a though I'm going to need to build one round an exruded oval in 3DWrkshp unless can find an easier method. Short straight bits of roof beam? (not a question to bother you with, I'll poke about for a while and see what I come up with),

I'll also look at PunchAlternatives circular stair to see if dimensioning capabilities allow deforming x-y into an oval and then editing for baustrade detail.

what fun we have.
yr 10's of 10 commandments dead helpful - ta!

rgrds and tnks again to you and patricia
Cliff
Patricia G.  
#10 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2007 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

In addition, I recommended Cliff (by e-mail) ready to use balusters and newels ready to use 3DS sets There are many free models in the web, and they can be imported in the 3D workshop Patricia
CliffHua  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2007 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
CliffHua

Patricia and Kyle

Punch seems to have really developed the product on since the early days, so they must have good development attitudes.

Editable (not same a head hittable) balusters and newels, fancy finials and stuff must be normal for most people so present standard facilities assumedly cause lots of people unecessary work. Is it likely Punch might consider stairs as a 3D editable object for the future? So much easier to build in plan, tx to 3D and then edit & post back. (the next TKE power tool?) Its the best part of stuff like FloorPlan with its fairly seamless integration with TurboCAD. Downside is its all very weighty but of course if FloorPlan acutally worked it would offset some of that.

Seems best at present to grow the whole stair run round an extruded oval in 3DW. That should also make it easier to accomodate different ceiling heights. I'll give that a bash and hope graphic approach is good enough so I don't have to remember too much of my 3rd form maths.

Much ta. I'll send you my proud as punch results when ready to show off a bit. Look out 3D workshop, here I come.

While we're on developments, objects that snap together, like kitchen cabinets, would help resolve issues of overlap and gaps and potential resultant mess of measures. That sort of snap needs only last for a session, so does not need to make the Punch drawing voulme/intelligence more weighty when qiescent.i.e. just a drawing tool.

rgrds
Cliff
Patricia G.  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2007 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Cliff

Actually, I don't agree with some of the above concepts

The first thing you should understand is the difference between the 3D objects and the entities developed in the Punch main program
A staircase developed in the 3D workshop has the same properties of a 3D chair, this means that they are objects
Punch uses the concepts of information management, so if you create a staircase in the main program, the materials will appear (and you can modify the characteristics) in the Framing Editor. And of course, this information will appear in the Estimator. These events, as I stated, will happen only if you develop the staircase in the main program, not with the 3D workshop

Turbocad is a good CAD program (I use it), however it is not a home design program. A CAD program and a home design program mean 2 different concepts. The focus of the CAD packages is on drawing and precision, the Home Design programs (like Punch) are focused on design. This means that if you draw a rectangle in CAD, this can be a wall, or a machine, or just a rectangle. In Punch, a wall means a wall, it will have all the properties of a wall and you'll see a wall in 3D. The difference is the program's capability to understand what you are drawing.

Now, lets see your staircase issue, again.
Please check the image attached

To use the convert to tool to create a curved staircase, you need to create the right 2D shape--> in this case, I used a 2D curve (one of the tools of the detail tab. I added a rectangle to show the floor
I converted the curves in 2 staircases and the rectangles in 2 floor pieces (12").
Say the rectangles are showing the upper floor of a house
The unit of the left--> the top of the floor is at 96"--> therefore, I selected the staircase--> properties bar--> I set the height of the staircase at 96"--> you can see the staircase specs below the first step (width, # of steps, etc)
The unit of the right--> the top of the floor is at 140"--> therefore, I selected the staircase--> properties bar--> I set the height of the staircase at 140" (as you can see in the image)--> press ENTER in your keyboard--> you can see the staircase specs below the first step (width, # of steps, etc) --> these specs are different from the unit of the left
Other specification as the steps' properties, skirt walls, etc can be set also in the properties bar (always press ENTER in your keyboard after a modification in the properties bar)

So, as you can see, there are more resources in Punch than a 3D image ;-)

Hope this helps

Patricia