logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GJ12MJ  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2019 12:36:12 PM(UTC)
GJ12MJ

United States

Hi all, I read the posts in this thread to learn what may be the cause of the crash and burn in my Punch! Pro v20. Here is the situation that I could not find an answer for:

I have a fairly simple design with some basic walls for a 1-level structure. I have added an image to trace the property lines using the Design -> Properties -> Floor Plan Trace Properties menu option. Regardless of the image format, after I perform some operations; especially creating draft lines in details and converting to property lines, etc.; OR definitely performing several "Undo" functions under Edit menu, like undoing added Length Dimensions, etc., the program gets extremely slow to the point that is not responsive and then does not save changes, nor allows "Save As" function work any longer.

Here is the worst part:
- Punch! Pro v20 somehow manages to corrupt the .PRO file on the hard drive to 0 KB size. In other words, it wipes out the entire content of the file.

So, I am chugging along my work happily that I have been saving every change I have made and be harshly disappointed that ALL of my work, not just recent changes, all of the work is lost because the file got wiped out, and there is no recovery file anywhere for it, either.

I think what triggers this nasty bug in the software is the repetitious "Undo" function that the program cannot handle properly. Regardless whether the "Undo" setting is left at default value of 25, or set to a custom value, the application seems to malfunction after you have done, say, 10 or more of Undo's.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I am almost giving up this application because it keeps destroying ALL of my work, not just new changes I make.

Thank you.
Patricia G.  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2019 1:51:23 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi there,

Your case is quite different.
You can be sure that the problems that you are experiencing are not bugs. I beta tested this version program and I use it non stop for more than a year and I didn't see these problems before.

IMO, this is a hardware problem.
As you probably know, this Forum is user to user (I am a Punch user like you) so we can't deal with computer / hardware issues because we can't access and evaluate your computer conditions.

Please, contact technical support so they can check the issues in your computer, Windows settings, etc and also they will check your system, limitations, etc. They are experts for this type of problems.
[email protected]

Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
thanks 1 user thanked Patricia G. for this useful post.
GJ12MJ on 2/7/2019(UTC)
GJ12MJ  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 7, 2019 12:36:17 AM(UTC)
GJ12MJ

United States

I will try to get in touch with technical support and see if they can help with the problem.

Thank you.
Patricia G.  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 7, 2019 2:36:24 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

You're welcome! Smile

Let us know if they find the problem.

Ralph Noddin  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2019 7:58:28 AM(UTC)
Ralph Noddin

Canada

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Six years ago I had the similar things happen when using an earlier version of Punch, to my computer.It never destroyed any whole files but, it would slow down to to the point that it was unbearable to watch after I had a lot of detail added to a 3D plan. So then I upgraded to a new computer that has a top video gaming card,a much faster processor, and a 250 GB solid state drive! Now I run everything at the highest quality rendering and add all the detail I want, and the computer does not even start to slow down. I also save the work on multiple files under different names, just in case. Also I store some copies of the same files, on a removable hard drive, just incase.
thanks 1 user thanked Ralph Noddin for this useful post.
Patricia G. on 2/15/2019(UTC)
Patricia G.  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2019 1:40:37 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Ralph,

Thank you for feedback.
These are some additional notes for all the users' information, regarding computer hardware.

Unfortunately, not all the video cards that are prepared for gaming are good for rendering, because games require speed over quality: for example, if you need to catch the Mars warrior (in your game, of course) you should run very fast and you don't care about the thickness, height or specs of the wall behind the Mars warrior, right? Laugh So, in a game, speed comes first and precision after. In Punch and the rendering world, it is different, the walls' specs come first (precision) and this takes a toll in the speed.
The good news are that some video cards have great drivers and can be used in games and rendering.

My advice for serious 3D rendering users is to avoid onboard video cards, because they share the memory with the motherboard.

Ralph Noddin  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2019 6:53:01 PM(UTC)
Ralph Noddin

Canada

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Yes Patricia I agree.

I did want to buy the top of the line Graphic video card the "Quadro P 6000" but because the price was over $5000.00 I changed my mind. Instead I purchased the best gaming card there was at the time that cost under $600.00. I read that the difference between the two types of cards was mostly the name, and the inner workings was almost the same. Like you say the graphic cards leaned more towards accuracy, and the gaming cards towards speed. I also noticed that since I upgraded to "Punch Home design V20" the zoom-ability is so much better that my accuracy has much improved. But now with the rendering of final 3D plans,When showing it to clients that walking around in it and flying around it with the chopper, there is no lag, no stalling, and everything that we view looks great.

the funny part is, I never play video games on my computer!
Patricia G.  
#8 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2019 7:44:05 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Glad to know that all is working without problems! ThumpUp
thanks 1 user thanked Patricia G. for this useful post.
G E Buck on 2/15/2019(UTC)