logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dave.t  
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 15, 2019 6:20:37 PM(UTC)
dave.t

United States

Hi there all,

HDSC v.20 for Mac on a MacBook Pro. OS 10.14.5.

I am encountering issues importing simple 6x8 rafter beams (12:12 pitch) created in Sketchup.

1. V.20 appears to only allow files saved under Sketchup 2017. I tried importing 2018 and 2019 sketchup files with no success.

2. When importing these beams, Punch appears to add a diagonal line to the faces of these beams. (Or Sketchup is adding them when exporting.)
Here is screen shot of Sketchup model:
Sketchup Beam Screenshot .png (43kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

Here is screen shot of Color Texture in Punch:

Screen Shot 3D View.png (712kb) downloaded 2 time(s).

You can see the diagonal lines in Punch wireframe 3D view. They are not in the original Sketchup model, and I have made sure to detect all hidden features in Sketchup before exporting. In 3D Color Texture, when applying a material to a face, only half of the face is changed, with the diagonal line between the corners as the delineator.

Any ideas how to deal with this?

Thanks much,
Dave
Patricia G.  
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 15, 2019 11:23:24 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi Dave,

Regarding your questions:
Originally Posted by: dave.t Go to Quoted Post

I am encountering issues importing simple 6x8 rafter beams (12:12 pitch) created in Sketchup.
1. V.20 appears to only allow files saved under Sketchup 2017. I tried importing 2018 and 2019 sketchup files with no success.

Punch V20 imports up to Sketchup V17 files.

Originally Posted by: dave.t Go to Quoted Post

2. When importing these beams, Punch appears to add a diagonal line to the faces of these beams. (Or Sketchup is adding them when exporting.)
Here is screen shot of Sketchup model

This is an issue related with 3D files such as Sketchup, 3DS, etc. It is not a Punch issue.
This is why => when you create a 3D object using Sketchup, for example, this program develops the objects based on triangles. Therefore, a rectangle is not created as a 4 sides shape, but as a set of 2 triangles. The diagonal line that you see in the beam, is, as a matter of fact the line where the 2 triangles are joining. You can't avoid this issue because this is how Sketchup works.

To visualize this concept, I created 2 cubes.
In the image below, the blue cube was developed with the 3D Workshop Power Tool. The red cube was developed with Sketchup and imported to Punch. They seem identical in Textured mode.

3DCW vs SKP Textured.jpg (64kb) downloaded 2 time(s).

However, when you see the same cubes in Colored Wireframe mode, you can clearly see the triangles on each side of the Sketchup cube (red). They are not present in the POB cube (blue).

3DCW vs SKP Wireframe.jpg (25kb) downloaded 3 time(s).

This is also the reason why imported objects are so heavy (in Mb) => they contain too many polygons. Although the Mac version doesn't include the 3D Workshop Power Tool, if possible, try to use POB objects.

Hope this helps.
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
dave.t  
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 16, 2019 2:20:31 AM(UTC)
dave.t

United States

Thanks, Pat!

Yes, I wish I had the 3D Custom Workshop. Quite the limitation on the Mac versions.

Such is life! Wink

Dave
Patricia G.  
#4 Posted : Sunday, June 16, 2019 3:38:19 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi Dave,

You're welcome!ThumpUp

Yes, I agree, the 3DCW Power Tool or at least a POB modifier should be part of the Mac programs.

I am working hard and very soon, there will be lots of objects, textures, and resources in the Punchhelpers store

Stay tuned! BigGrin
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store