logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RoseRRR  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 29, 2019 4:30:09 PM(UTC)
RoseRRR

United States

Hi,

Any suggestions as to how to be able to view an exposed Framing Beam when 3D Rendering Style is set to Textured? e.g. I have a typical basement with a Framing Beam that is below ceiling height (exposed), with Framing Support Columns holding up the beam. When I 3D render in Textured style, I do not see the exposed beam or support columns. I was able to overlay the Framing Support Columns with plain Columns as a way to be able to see the supporting columns. But how would one get the exposed framing beam to show in Textured mode? Was there a better (easier) way to be able to view the Framing Support Columns?

I am aware of the Framing 3D Rendering Style. In this case though I want to see a Textured view of the room, where a person would see the beam.

Lastly, what is the easiest way to cover the Framing Beam with say sheet rock, or 3/4" thick pine boards?

TIA,
R
Patricia G.  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 29, 2019 4:42:38 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi Rose,

You can add faux beams using the following resources

1 - Use beams as 3D objects created with the 3D Custom Workshop Power Tool. If your beams are flat, you will find a few beams in the Furnishing library.
2 - Create beams using the Ceiling designer Power Tool.
3 - in my website, check my Advanced Collection => it includes a collection of pitched beams, trusses, etc with different pitches (ready to use and with installation instructions).

After you insert the beams you can cover them as well as add texture, etc.

Hope this helps
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
RoseRRR  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 30, 2019 9:30:51 PM(UTC)
RoseRRR

United States

Thanks Pat! I guess you're saying that one shouldn't bother using a Framing Beam if you simply want a realistic (3D) view that would show the exposed beam? Maybe one would only bother adding a Framing Beam if they wanted to Render using the Framing style?

I wonder why there isn't an option/property for Framing Beams to enable the display of them if they protrude into the living area (e.g. exposed beam)?

I guess your recommendations are kind of like what I did when I placed Columns right on top of Framing Support Columns - so I could see the supports in 3D? I'm still unclear as to why a 3D rendering doesn't display objects like beams/posts - when they would clearly be visible in the real world?

Again, thanks for your prompt answer!

-R
Patricia G.  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 30, 2019 10:25:59 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi Rose,

You're welcome! ThumpUp

In Punch, in order to suit your necessities, you have different rendering modes. So, for example, if you need to render an image for presentation purposes, you can use the Textured Mode. If you need to render the structure, you can use the framing mode. The components defined as "structure" (such us support columns, beams, joists, etc) don't appear in textured mode.

In your case, the rendering mode will show the upper face of the roof and the interior ceiling, but it won't show the structural components between both surfaces. The framing mode will show the roof structure, but won't show the upper face of the roof or the interior ceiling. You can't add a pitched ceiling in framing mode.

So, answering your question, if you wish to render a room or house with exposed structural elements, you can use 3D objects to simulate the structure, as you can see in this image.

Hope this helps.
RoseRRR  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 30, 2019 11:12:20 PM(UTC)
RoseRRR

United States

Hmmm, I'm still not understanding why an exposed beam (comprised of a Framing Beam) doesn't show in Textured mode. I guess an enhancement to the program that offered a property checkbox for Framed Beams, "Show exposed portions in 3D Textured Mode", would do the trick. But no worries - I found an easy way to add them: on the Floor tab I simply added a section of floor, set its elevation and dimensions to match my beam. Then applied my desired material... Seems like a simpler/faster way than using the 3D Custom Workshop tool (but I might experiment to get familiar). I suppose your suggestion to use a stock beam (in Furnishings) would also be just as easy too...

Patricia G.  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 31, 2019 12:12:18 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Rose,

The reason is, as I stated, that each element is referred to a certain rendering style (there are 5, as you can see in the image below).

Rendering Modes.jpg (17kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

Glad to know that the problem is solved!