logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GRuehl  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2020 8:25:34 PM(UTC)
GRuehl

United States

Hi,
Just upgraded to V21 and was trying to use the Group Tool. Can't find it on my Control toolbar. Help please.

Only seeing the new alignment tools along the bottom. Checked all the File, Design, etc. drop down menus and not seeing it there. The online manual shows a chain like looking icon but just not finding it. Selecting items and then right mouse clicking doesn't show a Group option either.

It's probably something simple that I'm just missing.

Thanks in advance for you help!
Patricia G.  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2020 9:05:44 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi there,

Originally Posted by: GRuehl Go to Quoted Post
Just upgraded to V21 and was trying to use the Group Tool. Can't find it on my Control toolbar.
The online manual shows a chain like looking icon but just not finding it. Selecting items and then right mouse clicking doesn't show a Group option either.

The user guide is divided in chapters according with the subjects and tools.
The group / ungroup symbols that you are mentioning are part of two power tools => Symbol Editor and Section Detailer
In the image attached, you can see a screenshot showing the name of the Power Tool tool outlined in green (Symbol Editor in this case) and the group / ungroup icons (outlined in red).

Group Symbol Editor.jpg (41kb) downloaded 3 time(s).

There isn't a Group Tool in the main program.

Hope this helps.
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
GRuehl  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2020 9:47:33 PM(UTC)
GRuehl

United States

HI,
Thanks for that, but it leads me to another question. As an example, I'd like to Group my bedroom layout (bed, nightstands, dresser, bench, etc) so that I can move it about (different location in the design) without having to move each individual item. How do I get these items into the Symbol Editor to Group and then get them back in the design?

Would like to be able to group them so that it still shows what is grouped. Having the Symbol Editor open it looks like I have to create a new symbol for the items I want grouped.

FYI - I have been selecting each item holding the shift key and then moving. The issue with this method is that sometimes you accidentally select something else and it gets moved too. Was hoping to be able to group things and then move the group. Is this not possible?

Thanks in advance

Patricia G.  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2020 10:27:06 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi there,

How do I get these items into the Symbol Editor to Group and then get them back in the design?
Having the Symbol Editor open it looks like I have to create a new symbol for the items I want grouped.

The Symbol Editor is a Power Tool intended to create only 2D symbols, constructive details, etc. It is not related with Group / Ungroup elements. I mentioned this Power Tool just to answer your question "The online manual shows a chain like looking icon but just not finding it." => I just showed where the chain like icons are.

As an example, I'd like to Group my bedroom layout (bed, nightstands, dresser, bench, etc) so that I can move it about (different location in the design) without having to move each individual item. Would like to be able to group them so that it still shows what is grouped. FYI - I have been selecting each item holding the shift key and then moving. The issue with this method is that sometimes you accidentally select something else and it gets moved too. Was hoping to be able to group things and then move the group. Is this not possible?

I'd suggest that you create a template => see "Building Rooms Using Templates" => User's Guide (page 174)

Punch, as any program, has a learning curve. The best way to learn the program, IMO, is practice + practice + practice => Read and follow the manual (this is important), see the videos => try to create elements not related with your project, so you will become familiar with the commands and how to manage the different components and effects .

If you are interested, my eBook for the V21 programs includes several tutorials about this subject.

Hope this helps.
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store