logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Lars-of-NM  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2020 8:09:31 PM(UTC)
Lars-of-NM

United States

Hi, I have Punch Professional Home Design Version 8.0.0 I am running Windows 10. It appears to load and run correctly.
I have some experience in SolidWorks and drafting but I am new to this software. I want to design a garage and create drawings for permitting and construction.

1) I have played around a little and am having problems. I set my lot size, and then quickly drew the foundation shape thinking I could tweak the dimensions and the placement in the lot once I had the basic shape.
I couldn't figure out how to then enter the final dimensions. All it seemed I could do was grab the corners of the foundation and adjust them with the mouse. This is tedious, I would prefer to enter the exact dimensions. I tried to go around the perimeter and adjust each corner with the mouse, but the other sides would then move and I was never able to get the dimensions correct or the foundation square. Can anyone explain the process? Is there anyway to drive the design parametrically on key dimensions, and have other dimensions set as dependent dimensions?

2) Is it worth my time to learn this program or should I upgrade, and if so what feature am I missing in V8?

Thanks for your time.

Lars
Patricia G.  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2020 9:02:02 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi there,

V8 is a very old program (2006), therefore, some V8 features used with some Win 10 hardware elements (such as video card, for example) will not work as expected.
In my experience, the program speed and some Power Tools will be compromised.
However, if you wish to learn the program, I'd suggest that you check my eBook Learning Punch! Software: Training, Tools and Tutorials for V17.5, that covers all the Punch programs up to V17.5.

The new programs are more efficient and include new features that perhaps, you will need for your permits. For example, scaled elevations. https://www.punchsoftwar...-version-is-right-for-me

I am not sure if I understand your question, but as a general concept, to set the exact length using V8 => point the element with the #Arrow.

Hope this helps.
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
Lars-of-NM  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2020 11:35:13 PM(UTC)
Lars-of-NM

United States

Hi Patricia,
This is what is happening:
I have drawn the approximate shape of the footing. It is basically a rectangle with some protrusions. I then use the #Arrow and select the footing segment I want to change and enter the new exact dimension. As I go around the perimeter changing the dimensions of the segments, the software changes the dimensions of the other segments.

Is there a way to lock a segments dimension from changing?

As far as V8 compatibility with windows 10 I don't see any problems. I can use compatibility settings in windows 10 (pro) to make the Windows environment look like XP SP3 but I haven't noticed any differences doing that. I am running it at a display resolution of 2560x1440 and It seems to be fully compatible.

Patricia G.  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 24, 2020 2:02:00 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi there,

Originally Posted by: Lars-of-NM Go to Quoted Post
Is there a way to lock a segments dimension from changing?

You can't lock the segments but you can adjust the segments manually.

Originally Posted by: Lars-of-NM Go to Quoted Post
As far as V8 compatibility with windows 10 I don't see any problems. I can use compatibility settings in windows 10 (pro) to make the Windows environment look like XP SP3 but I haven't noticed any differences doing that. I am running it at a display resolution of 2560x1440 and It seems to be fully compatible.

The hardware drives are not adjusted or related with the use of compatibility mode.

Hope this helps.

Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store