logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mminaz  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 25, 2021 4:25:10 PM(UTC)
mminaz

I am using Essentials v21 on a Windows PC. I am trying to reproduce plans for our current house. We have walls of different thicknesses that range from 4" to 34", because of niches and such. When I try to connect these walls it won't define a room unless the mid-point of the walls are near each other but then because of the different thickness the outside edges don't lineup. I hope you understand what I am trying to describe. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help.
Patricia G.  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 25, 2021 4:57:04 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi there,

There are 2 situations:
1 - Exterior walls => in Punch, the exterior walls must be an enclosed perimeter. In this enclosed perimeter, the walls share the thickness.
2 - Interior walls => if you created an enclosed perimeter (exterior walls), you can add the interior walls using different thickness.

Important concepts:
- if you have two walls and you join them using the arrows of your keyboard, you are connecting the walls => this means that the walls are together but they are independent => they don't share the properties and work as 2 separated walls.
- if you have two walls and you join them using the mouse, you are merging the walls => this means that the walls are fused => they share the properties (including thickness) and they work as only one wall.

Note that exterior walls should be fused.

Punch, as any program, has a learning curve. The best way to learn the program, IMO, is practice + practice + practice => Read and follow the manual (this is important), see the videos => try to create elements not related with your project, so you will become familiar with the commands and how to manage the different components and effects .

If you are interested, my eBook for the V21 programs includes several tutorials about this subject.

Hope this helps.
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
mminaz  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 25, 2021 8:10:56 PM(UTC)
mminaz

Patricia thank you for your response.
Are you saying that all exterior walls must be the same thickness? We have one room in the front of our house that has a 31" thickness because it has two 24" niches plus two windows inset 24" from the exterior. How would I handle that thick of an exterior wall?
Sorry for being such a novice.
Patricia G.  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 25, 2021 8:31:15 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi there,

Yes, the walls in the perimeter will share the same thickness.

Say your external walls share a thickness of 12" => In order to create your external wall with thickness = 31", I'd suggest to create and additional wall with 19", so you will have a wall with thickness = 12"+ 19"= 31"

Punch, as any program, has a learning curve. The best way to learn the program, IMO, is practice + practice + practice => Read and follow the manual (this is important), see the videos => try to create elements not related with your project, so you will become familiar with the commands and how to manage the different components and effects.

Hope this helps.
mminaz  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 25, 2021 8:49:46 PM(UTC)
mminaz

Thanks again, I just purchased your book. I'm sure I will have more questions going forward.
Patricia G.  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 25, 2021 8:55:20 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Thank you for your purchase!ThumpUp

Regarding the walls, perimeter, etc => I'd recommend texts and images on pages 39, 40, and 41.