logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GregDIY  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 3, 2024 12:31:40 PM(UTC)
GregDIY

United States

I don't know where to start... I just bought Home Design Essentials v21 for Mac last night and I am at a loss. I have to drag and drop pre-sized rooms on to a 2D grid layout, resize them by clicking and dragging, and then click 'next' to create a 'blueprint' of sorts? Huh? It doesn't make sense. I then pick a element from a list of tools that are a cartoonish representation of what I think I need and click where I want it? My head hurts. Where is my ability to add walls individually as I see fit? Where is my ability to look for a element using its common blueprint schematic image? Where is anything that resembles a traditional drawing/design/layout program at? Please tell me there is a mode I can switch on or off so that I see and can use something that makes sense. I apologize to everyone who loves this software but Home Design Essentials v21 for Mac is not for me. I thought it might be the answer for what I would like to do, and I had high hopes it would be, but it isn't. I am not a professional by any means but I am not beginner. I would try out one or more of the other levels of the software but I am not going to shell out that kind of money without being able to trial it. Why is 3D so important? 3D should be a bonus after creating something in 2D, not the focus. I wish there was a software package that was more traditional. Software that was understandable, easy to use, and that didn't break the bank. Any suggestions or help before I ask for a refund?
Patricia G.  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 3, 2024 2:10:45 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi there,

The QuickStart mode is just this, a fast layout, that you can use or just bypass it by clicking "Continue" and going to Project Mode. If you prefer, you can deactivate the Quick Start Mode.
In Project Mode you will be able to design, import, trace, print, move, set the precision and units, as well as use all the Punch features, and therefore, you can define manually the walls, roofs, topography, etc, for example.

Keep in mind that Punch is a Home Design program, so, differently of the drawing programs, you must follow the different steps to create the different building components. If you use just a drawing program, a shape can be any element (a wall, a roof or a chair). If you are using a Home Design program, a wall is just a wall, with its shape, dimensions, framing and other properties.

Regarding your question "Why is 3D so important? 3D should be a bonus": No, 3D is not just a bonus => I am an Architect (AIA International Associate) and I can tell you that currently, Architects, Designers, etc don't use just 2D programs. 3D programs are the best way to detect building conflicts => as all the elements are well defined and related, you can build lots of possibilities and options, check the interferences, etc before the real construction begins, saving money and headaches.
In the image below, you can see a 2D floor plan that "seems" well defined
Capture 2d.JPG (50kb) downloaded 0 time(s).
Actually, the elements are not well defined, so now, let's check in 3D to see the conflicts
Capture 3d.JPG (67kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You can see lots of images in my website.

Punch, as any program, has a learning curve. The best way to learn the program, IMO, is practice + practice + practice => Read and follow the manual (this is important), see the videos => try to create elements not related with your project, so you will become familiar with the commands and how to manage the different components and solutions.
If you are interested, my eBook for Punch V21 for Mac includes lots of tutorials and how-to guides. Also, I have other eBooks with step by step Guides

Hope this helps.
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
thanks 1 user thanked Patricia G. for this useful post.
GregDIY on 1/3/2024(UTC)
GregDIY  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 3, 2024 9:58:48 PM(UTC)
GregDIY

United States

Okay... now it is making more sense now. Thank you. There are still some very confusing aspects to the software but I think I have a good footing now.
Patricia G.  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 3, 2024 10:01:41 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
You're welcome! ThumpUp
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store