logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dittmeier, Chris  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2005 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Dittmeier, Chris

1. It isn't a cheap solution with shared memory. I have an NVidia GeForce 5700 with 128MB Video RAM. I do very little gaming. The drivers are the latest version. 2. I find that lowering the acceleration causes the rendering to be significantly slower. 3. If I understood the exact reason this occurs, perhaps there is a setting that can be adjusted other than acceleration so that I can get the performance back. You can get a technical as you like, please.
Dittmeier, Chris  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2005 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Dittmeier, Chris

Let me pose the question differently. Is there a way to apply an exterior texture or color without dropping it onto the wall and not having to use the 3D view? It gets around any video card issues and is within the control of Punch to implement.
Patricia G.  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2005 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
The definitions are accurate and I work with an ATI card too, with excellent results, and by the way, using full accelerations
However, I'd like to add some comments
My daughter's computer (where she plays lot of games!!) has a Nvidia VC, and some times, I run Punch in her computer without problems. However, the classical video issues are there, the diagonal lines, textures going to the wrong place, etc.
I don't think that NVidia is a "bad VC" and ATI is a "good VC". ATI has a driver called Catalyst with frequents updates. It provides an excellent performance. IMHO, this driver makes all the difference for Punch users
So, I'd suggest a contact with the Nvidia people and ask for additional drivers to increase the performance

Hope this helps

Patricia
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
Dittmeier, Chris  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 5, 2005 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Dittmeier, Chris

If I knew why or how Punch is doing things that work on some cards and not mine, then I could ask Nvidia for help in changing the settings. I have no other issues as far as lines or any other video abberations.
termlk  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 2, 2006 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
termlk

I am currently running a Nvidia 6600 GT card with the latest drivers. I thought it was something I was doing wrong when I tried to apply a color to a wall and the sky would change....well if someone could explain why virtually every other piece of software on earth works just fine with a "new" Nvidia card except this Punch Home Design Series then please go ahead and explain! (I have AS4000 and AS3000 both have the problem!). Turning down the acceleration feature is not an option....plus it doesn't even solve the problem with the 6600 GT. So for all the people wanting to play the ATI vs Nvidia game....well I have a ATI Radeon 9600 and 9800 Pro and a Nvidia 6600 and 6800. Guess what!, the wall coloring works fine with the ATI cards and with both Nvidias it doesn't work at all.... I have absolutely no problems with my ATI and NVIDIA cards on anything else.... Punch! has a problem period!
Patricia G.  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 2, 2006 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi termlk,

Well, this is your opinion, so let me tell you my opinion.
Video cards have several applications, including video games and 3D sw as Punch.
I have two computers with the same configuration, one of them with Nvidia 128Mb (mu daughter's) and other (the computer I work) with ATI 128 Mb.
Both are great for video games but only ATI works great with Punch, offering speed and precision. In addition, my laptop has also a ATI video card 64 Mb, however, ATI doesn't offer the CATALYST driver for laptops and I can see the difference
Therefore in my opinion, the difference is the CATALYST driver. Perhaps, Nvidia's focus is only video games and they are not interested in other apps, and this is why they don't have a driver for these apps.

Patricia
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
termlk  
#7 Posted : Monday, January 9, 2006 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
termlk

So let me get this straight....because you think that by defending Punch's! strict adherence to OpenGL rules and basically alienating all Nvidia users that this is a smart thing for Punch? You think that going in and monkeying around with Video Acceleration settings is a good thing to do to make an application work....are you kidding....are we back in the days of Windows 3.x or something...come on..... the Punch graphics view is not state of the art in anyway shape or form.....I love the software but lets be resonable....you shouldn't have to go out and buy an ATI card for just this software... The bottom line is that Punch doesn't work properly with Nvidia and hasn't for sometime .... is it not in Punch's best interest to make a small 'fix' for this....I think so. Now I expect someone else to come back and say why don't you save yourself all the grief and buy an ATI video card....well sure if ATI made an AGP compatbile card that supports dual DVI output for LCDs....Nvidia does in that configuration so I am stuck I guess in hoping Punch does something...