logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Patricia G.  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 29, 2006 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi again Ed,

In Punch, the ceilings are just floor planes with different elevations. Therefore, the floor tools are also "ceiling tools".
In the Floor tab, the 13th and 14th icons (floor tool and floor cutout) will help you to design your ceiling

Regarding the moldings and trims with different elevations, you can do the trick stacking two or more walls

In these images
http://www.punchhelpers.com/residential14.html
http://www.punchhelpers.com/residential16.html
http://www.punchhelpers.com/residential18.html

you can see the ceilings with different elevations, floor cuts and moldings also with different elevations.
To use the floor cut tool remember that
--> The ceiling elevation is the bottom face of the ceiling. This means that if you the floor of the second floor is @ 108", and your 1st floor has a ceiling of 12", the ceiling elevation will be 96" and the settings of the cutout will be the same: elevation at 96"and thickness= 12"
--> If you used Autofloor in the 1st floor, the ceiling elevation will be the walls' height + the Autofloor thickness
--> If you used a floor in the upper floor, you must consider this thickness in the floor cut

Hope this helps

Patricia
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
EdPunch  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 30, 2006 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
EdPunch

Thanks again Patricia, Making a ceiling with the floor tool makes sense, I will try it tonight when I get home. As far as making a trim that is not on the top or bottom of the wall...are you sure that making walls that are stacked on each other is the only way to do this? It seems odd to me that the software wouldn't let you set a height for a piece of molding. You can do so with windows and other "wall mounted" items. Still, thanks again. Do you work for Punch Software or are you just an expert who helps people out here ? Ed
Patricia G.  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 30, 2006 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi Ed,

Regarding the trims and moldings: yes, I am sure that the you can't set different elevations for the moldings, using the Trim tool.
However, if you don't want to stack walls, you can create moldings or panels using the 3D workshop and set the necessary elevation, as you can see in this image
http://www.punchhelpers.com/residential8.html

Nope, I don't work for Punch. I am an Architect and the owner of
http://www.punchhelpers.com/
a website providing resources and services using Punch software
In this Forum, I am just a volunteer, helping Punch users

Patricia
Keck, Roger  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2008 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Keck, Roger

>>...are you sure that making walls that are stacked on each other is the only way to do this? << Actually, there is another way. But it in no way excuses Punch for not providing a height setting in the trim section. There's been a thousand times I've wanted that option. The trick is to place a lower door (or window) casing in the wall, or in a separate thin and short wall-within-the-wall, Elevate the casing (door) to the height you want, then apply whatever custom trim profile you want to it. To make the casing, use the door (or window) designer and just draw one single casing piece at the bottom, making certain that it's a lower casing. You can check that by noting that the handles should be on the top line of the casing, not the bottom or sides. Save the piece. Apply it the same way you place a window or door. The disadvantage to this trick is that your wall will appear to have a very long door or window in it in 2D. It also doesn't go around corners very well, for obvious reasons. If you place it in the subject wall (instead of a separate thin wall), the molding will appear on both sides of the wall (because those components are designed to span the wall thickness). However the molding will break appropriately when encountering other windows or doors. Incidentally, the door (or window) designer can be used to make other neat stuff - like custom stairway bannisters and railings, and knee wall caps with molded edges (useful in some basements). I'd like to post the procedures for that here along with some example components that members could use, but it's too difficult to explain in text-only mode and there's no picture, nor file posting function here that I can find.
Patricia G.  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2008 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi Roger,

Some important notes

- Not all the Punch programs have the windows / door designer power tools.

- If you are applying the casing / trim piece in a separate wall, and elevating the wall, then you are technically stacking walls

- The main problem I see in your solution of a casing / trim piece is the fact that you can't set a door or a window in that space--> in this case, the trim will appear across the door / window

Patricia
Kupono  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2010 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Kupono

We bought Punch Home and Landscape Design and we have multiple rooms that should have different ceiling heights can you please tell me how to make this happen so that each room is visually correct and so the auto generate roof with fit more to the room sizes. Aimee
Patricia G.  
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2010 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi Aimee,

I think that you posted this message before you email me, so I know that you have the solution (separated ceilings with different elevations)

Patricia