logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ckerch  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 24, 2008 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
ckerch

I was seeing how the elevation editor worked and it is worst than live view. Anytime I try to move the house right or left it has to render again. It also will not do diagonal slice either. I don't have that problem with the notebook.
I am not sure were to go from here. Any suggestions?
Patricia G.  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 24, 2008 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi ckerch

In my opinion and in my experience a good performance in games doesn't mean necessarily a good performance with Punch. Not always.
Please, check this post
Punchhelpers, "The two 3D workshops" #9, 31 Dec 2007 6:45 pm

My experience with ATI cards was and it is very good, despite of some problems with the drivers
Punchhelpers, "AS 5000 programmed for Quad core processors?" #3, 7 Jan 2008 1:29 pm

I can't tell you why you have these performance problems. I'd suggest that you try with a simple and new model (say 4 walls and a roof) and check the performance of both computers, so you'll verify the real performance

If you wish, send me your PRO file (with a short description of the problem) and I will check the rendering times in my computer and laptop
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
ckerch  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 27, 2008 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
ckerch

With a little help from Punch tech support, forum and a lot of help from Patricia, I found my performance problem.

The first thing was a hardware/driver problem. With reading the forum and talking with tech support it was determined I have a hardware issue. I needed to take the acceleration down to a minimum and then keep increasing until I started having problems. This problem seems to be limited to the Elevation Editor constantly rendering when I would try to slice or move the cursor over the house. Initially, I was running the catalyst 8.3 driver but wound up only using the video card driver. This fixed the problem with the Elevation editor rendering issue but still ran with the same slowness.

The second issue dealt with my file. Even though I did not have landscaping in the file, I had objects inside the house. The objects included two kitchens, washing machine, book shelves w/books in the library, three bathrooms w/fixtures and a baby grand piano. This brought my file size up to almost 5Mb. Not knowing any better, I figured that was not bad until Patricia enlightened me that certain objects take a lot of computing power to render. To use her example, “if you open the Baby grand piano with the 3D workshop Power Tool, you will see that the number of polygons is extremely large (see it in wireframe mode). You will be surprised to know that this object is composed of 484,848.00 polygons!!! Therefore, it is not only the size of the file but the number of faces to be rendered”. WOW …no wonder the computer was breathing hard. Following that example I removed all my objects and my rendering went from 1min. 45 sec. to 3 sec. Yes....3sec. My file size also went from 5 MB to 367KB. Another WOW!! Special thanks to Patricia for putting it in proper perspective.

I will use the objects again but not until I have my structure complete and all my Elevations correct. Then I will use the objects for walk-throughs and decorating.

Hope this helps someone else
Carl
Patricia G.  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 27, 2008 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Carl,

Glad to know I helped :-)

An additional note, for learning purposes--> the 484,848.00 polygons is a number I got using a program (outside Punch) specific for 3D polygons modification

Patricia
georgia  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 9, 2008 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
georgia

hello,
I've got the home design architectural series 5000. My system has 768 ram, 128 vga and enought free space in the hard disk, but the 3d view is very slow (I've got to wait aprox 5 min, not to mention the ed shadows and the night lighting, nigthmare).
The project I'm working on is very big (landscape)
Does anybody not what's wron?

thank you.
Patricia G.  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 10, 2008 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi georgia,

I just finished the project of a strip mall + topography and each image took up to 2 hours to render. And I had more slow examples in the past
Anyway, 768 of RAM is a little low for AS 5000 (The minimum is 512 but is low, in my experience)

You have several workarounds
- Click on the pencil icon at the top of the LiveView window. Clicking on the different icons you can disable temporarily the lights or 3D objects, etc. This will speed the rendering
- Use View--> Render Clear view--> use this during the elaboration time
- At the bottom / left of the LiveView window is a slider for controlling speed (slow / fast). Use it to slow/fasten the mouse movements
- Try to develop your work in 2D and then go to 3D, so Punch doesn't need to render all the model with each modification
- You can turn off the "Undo" feature--> Edit--> Undo preferences. This will speed your work. Just remember to save frequently.
- To get a good Punch performance, close other programs, including the e-mail. Perhaps, other programs are using resources otherwise required in Punch.
To verify your CPU resources--> Close all the programs--> Click Ctrl+Alt+Del in your keyboard--> check the Performance value, it should be a very low value. If not, check the Processes tab and verify where the resources are going (check high values)--> Then open Punch--> Repeat the Ctrl+Alt+Del process and verify the CPU usage and processes--> This will provide a good piece of information if the problem is with the file or with the computer or both
--> Don't forget to defrag your HD, it will speed your performance

Hope this helps

Patricia