logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Patricia G.  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 15, 2010 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi bagby,

You are in the Platinum section of the Forum, so my first question is--> what Plat (or other program) version do you have?--> in general for all the programs, the newest versions (version 10 and up) have the Palette--> you paint all the doors, trims, etc using the palette (say with red color), and then, you just need to change the red color in the palette with a blue color (for example) and all the elements painted with the red will become painted with blue

Patricia
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
bagby  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 16, 2010 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
bagby

My version does have the palette, but

the help file says,"Click and drag the color or material you want from the palette tile to the area of your design. Your selection is displayed in LiveView. "

Um, no it ain't. Having loaded the palette, when i click and drag from the palette onto the 2d drawing I get a little ghost "forbidden" circle and nothing happens. If I tell LiveView to render, the palette disappears.

The only way I know of to reveal the palette is LiveView -> Edit Palette. 3d disappears. Clicking on, say quarter 3D view, makes the palette vanish.

So how do I use it?
bagby  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 16, 2010 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
bagby

Tricky, this forum software. I don't know where my message from yesterday went, but apparently it was not treated as a reply. Wonder where it went?

Anyway, my version DOES have the palette, it just cannot be used.

I can edit the palette (the only way I've found to make it visible to me at all), and drag materials/colors onto it.

Whenever I try to get any sort of 3d view however, the palette disappears. I bring the palette back and the 3d view disappears. Looks like it's one or the other but not both, which makes the palette useless.

"Help" doesn't.

How do I see the palette AND the 3d view at the same time?
Patricia G.  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 16, 2010 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi bagby

Some important concepts
1 - The palette is not for use in 2D, so, yes, it disappears in 2D (floorplan view)
2 - if you Export 3D or Print 3D liveview, yes, the palette disappears, because it is not part of the exported image

The palette correct use is the application of colors and materials in liveview

Please, follow this explanation with the attached image--> Visualize your project in liveview--> Open the palette--> Open the Materials tab (or the color tab)--> prepare your palette --> drag and drop the colors and materials you will use, one in each slot--> In this case I loaded Red color, Blue color, Brick and Siding--> Pick the materials from the palette--> drag and drop on the desired element on the image--> the color blue (first slot) on the door (I included the door trim), brick on the first segment of the wall, etc
Now, say you don't like the blue color on the door and you wish a white door--> you just select the white color on the tab color --> drag and drop the white color on the palette (blue slot)--> all the elements painted with that color will adopt the new color (white in this case)

Let me know if you experience problems with this procedure

Patricia
bagby  
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 17, 2010 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
bagby

I have rendered the image in LiveView, which is what I take "Visualize your project" to mean.

I am attempting "Open the Palette" I am at a loss as to how to do that. I see no obvious way, or even a non-obvious way.

Help -> Search -? "open palette" gives me
"Managing LiveView Palettes"

It offers me a selection of "To Organize Palettes", which I expand. It says,"Click the palette menu and ..."

I seek in vain for something that looks like the Palette menu. The word, "palette" on a menu bar, an icon of an artist's palette.

The only reference I have even seen is on the LiveView drop-down menu in the top bar, under "Edit Palette", and selecting that closes LiveView.

Help -> Search -> Palette Menu provides nothing directly on point except "Using the Decorator Palette", which tells me what the palette does, and how to use it once it's open, but not how to open it.

There's also "Managing LiveView Palettes" which tells me how to save, import and export them, and repeats the "manage" instructions -- but not how to open a palette and use it.

I study each pull-down menu at the top, "File, Edit ,Design, LiveView, Window, Help" and mouseover each, looking for anything else relating to "Palette"

I look at the tabs on top, "Foundation, floor, electrical, plumbing, roofing, hvac, deck, landsape, detail.

I look at the tool icons on the right side, but there's no palette icon. Select, resize, rotate, pan, zoom, magnify, add text, couple of dimensions, the elevation scale.

Tabs on the left, "Properties, PowerTools, Objects,Templates, Plants, Trim, Colors, Materials. Click on each of them looking for "palette" or an icon. Nothing.

The various view icons on the upper right. The icon for this web site. The ruler on the lower left, the calculation icon, the floor icon. Over on the lower right, the compass icon, the plant inventory icon.

No palette. No palette menu.

Am I just very dense, or missing something?

I must be missing things. I was also looking in the 3d object library for any kind of window treatment. Didn't find any, so I searched for "blinds", "curtains", "drapes", all came up empty. Can that be right? There are no window treatments to be had? There's no "earth" or "sand" among the grass objects either, which I do kinda dig (sorry), but that does make planning xeriscapes difficult. Is there something else I can do about windows?
Patricia G.  
#6 Posted : Saturday, July 17, 2010 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi Bagby

First of all, it would be helpful if you tell the Punch version you are using (Platinum V8, V12, etc)--> Just to be sure the palette will be there and I am writing the right instructions

I wrote "visualize your project in Liveview"--> In 2D (Floorplan) view --> Main menu--> LiveView--> 3D viewing method--> Fly Around (or other option)--> or render final quality --> or if you prefer--> in the upper right corner there are 4 icons--> icons #2 and #3 are partial liveview and # 4 is full live view--> (see 1st image attached--> the 3 liveview icons outlined in red and the palette icon outlined in green)

With your project in liveview--> in the upper right corner of the liveview screen--> it is the palette icon--> click on the icon to hide / show the palette (see 2nd image attached)

Window treatment--> In the Floor tab--> the menu has 16 icons--> the first is a wall and the last looks like "curtains"--> Click on this icon--> The accessories library will open--> see 3rd image attached
In the Help Menu, you will find this as Accessories

Also, in the Help section--> A quick tour--> you will find a complete list and specs of all the controls, icons and menus

Patricia
bagby  
#7 Posted : Saturday, July 17, 2010 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
bagby

I put the version info, v12 in my case, in that previous, lost message. I notice not all messages seem to survive. Anyway, as I said in another lost message, I did find the palette menu. I also found the curtain (??? Only after being told it's supposed to be a curtain) icon and am exploring that very strange behavior. (Not quite a 2D thing, nor yet a 3D object.)

Thanks.

The "A Quick Tour" section of the help menu does not mention any controls, icons or menus in the LiveView window, or indeed the existence of the LiveView window itself (nor any other sub-window like Room Wizard, or Plants, for that matter), at all It mentions only the LiveView icons (quarter view, half view, &c) on the main window. As a quick tour, it's remarkably incomplete.
Patricia G.  
#8 Posted : Saturday, July 17, 2010 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

You're welcome! :-D

Quick tour--> please, check the screen layout to see the location of the different icons, like liveview, for example

A quick tour is just this, a fast review, however, the user manual is quite complete :-)

Patricia