logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Patricia G.  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2008 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi there,

I find advantages in the V12 version of the CW (like the counters' reflection, just to name one)

There is a simple way to change the textures to the models developed with the CW (in addition of the liveview option)--> With your cabinet ready--> just click --> File --> Export to Custom Workshop --> You will save your cabinet as POB --> Open the object with the 3D workshop --> change the textures or colors individually, by group or by matching

Hope this helps

Patricia
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
Keck, Roger  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2008 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Keck, Roger

I found the "countertop reflection" feature to be of little practical use. For one thing, I never include countertops on any cabinet I create in the wizard - for one simple reason: Individual countertops on a line of adjacent base cabinets looks awful due to the way Punch does shading (starting it over everytime it reaches an edge or seam). In any application composed of multiple adjacent base cabinets or desk drawers, a one-piece countertop made of flooring is FAR more realistic. Plus, it's extremely simple to cut a hole for a sink into a countertop made of flooring. As for the "Export to...." as a POB file. Sure you can color them there. But the cabinet becomes an "object" once exported, hence ruining it for future tweaks in the cabinet wizard. Which is something I pointed out to Peter. Besides. Why should applying color or textures be such a tedious (two-program) process when it wasn't before? This was, after all, billed as an "upgrade".
Keck, Roger  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2008 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Keck, Roger

The final message from Peter was simply to confirm that the color and texture features in the Cabinet Wizard are no longer there. No details. No reason given. I've changed all my shortcuts to read: "Punch Semi-Pro Bronze". ------------------------------------ USING CUSTOM TEXTURES WITH THE VERSION 8 CABINET WIZARD in VERSION 12. If any of you have tried this workaround, you might have noticed that very few (if any) of the custom textures show the picture, or sample, in the list, even though the texture is still applied as expected. The reason for that is that the version 8 Cabinet wizard needs a PPV picture file, but version 12 uses PTX files. This isn't really a problem even though the two file types use different resolutions. In the end, they're both bitmap files. To get the custom (or any missing) textures to show in the v8 Cabinet Wizard texture list, you'll need to do some copying, pasting, and re-naming within the affected texture directories. The goal is to create a PPV file for each of the textures in the directory that don't have one. CAUTION: Practice SAFE computing!! Before doing any of the following, copy the target directory to a place out of the main Punch installation path. In the event of a calamity, just copy it back where it came from and all will be as it was. Since there's always multiple ways to do anything involving files, I'll let you decide how to execute the copying, pasting, browsing, etc. I also won't give detailed instructions on other OS techniques, nor will I address the Apple OS. If you're not experienced nor comfortable doing this kind of thing - Don't! As for the renaming. This can get REALLY tedious doing them one by one. If you're going to do more than just a few files, I highly recommend using a file renaming utility. The one I used is a neat little freeware called Oscar's Renamer. You can download it at the mediachance web site. The instructions that follow assume you'll be using that utility, but others should have the same kinds of features. First, decide which kinds of textures you might want to apply to a cabinet (or countertop) and make a note of them. Some of the hardwood flooring textures make for some very interesting cabinets. But, obviously, some other types are totally inappropriate. Browse to the directory containing the textures you want to appear. Copy the directory to a location out of the Punch installation path. See "Caution" above. 1. Change to List View. We only want to see the filename and extension. If you're an experienced computist, you already have "Hide extensions for known file types" un-checked. 2. Holding Ctrl and using the mouse, click to select (highlight) each file in the directory with a PTX extension. DO NOT select any other file type. DO NOT select the PTX file for a texture that ALREADY HAS A PPV FILE. If there's more than about 20 files to select in a single directory, you might want to do them one column at a time. But you CAN select them all at one time if you want to. Note that this is non-contiguous file selecting. ie. there will be un-selected files between the selected ones. See Note at bottom of this post for a caution. 3. Copy to clipboard using your favorite method. (Ctrl-C; Edit/Copy, right click, etc.) 4. Paste (Ctrl-V; Edit/Paste; right click, etc.) 5. You now have copies of all the PTX files and they're all located in the directory you're working in. In Windows systems, all their names begin with the words "Copy of ". Notice that there's a space after the word "of" (but the text editor on this forum strips it out even though I specifically included it within the quotes for clarity), and all have the PTX extension. 6. Right click any file in the directory and click "Renamer" to start Oscar's Renamer which will automatically load all the files in the directory. 7. The renamer automatically shows the directory contents in alphabetical order. Scroll to the first instance of a filename starting with the words "Copy of ". Using your favorite method, select ALL the files whose names start the same way. Make sure they're all completely selected. 8. On the menu, click Edit/Replace. 9. In the Replace dialog, in the "Find What:" text field, enter "Copy of ". Don't forget the space after the word "of". Don't type the quotes. Press Tab to go to the next field. 10. In the "Replace with:" text field, make sure the field is empty (no characters or spaces and cursor at far left). 11. In the "Replace In:" option box, make sure the "Selection" radio button is ticked (change only the selected files). 12. Click "Replace All". Click OK on the box that pops up. 13. Back at the "Find What:" text field, enter "ptx". Press Tab. For "Replace with:" enter "PPV". 14. Click Replace All". Click OK on the box that pops up. Click Cancel on the Replace dialog to close it. 15. Examine the list before writing the changes. The files proposed to be changed will have a yellow background and a yellow circle in front of them. Make sure all the copied files were converted. Make sure there's no leftover characters or spaces at the front of the file name, and that the original filename is intact. If you find a problem, use the ordinary editing features of Oscar's Renamer to make corrections. However, there'll be nothing to correct if you selected ALL the "Copy of" files, and followed the other directions correctly. 16. If all is well, click the "OK" button at the far right of the toolbar in Oscar's Renamer. Click OK when asked if you want to write the changes to the folder. Wait for the changes to be written (yellow background and circles disappear). Close the Renamer. Repeat these steps for any other texture directory you want to have showing in the wizard. NOTE: Selecting multiple non-contiguous files with the mouse can sometimes cause problems if the file type has an association and you inadvertently drag the mouse while making a selection. If you associated PTX files with a graphics viewer or editor (or any other program), it's a good idea to delete that association before starting this procedure. You can always double-click one of them later and re-establish the association.
Patricia G.  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2008 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

In the past, Punch used a 3 files set for textures and the preview was called PPV.
You don't need a re namer sw to convert a PPV file. You can do this with MSPaint or any basic graphic program

Please, check in my website RB's details and conversion info about the PTX and PPV files
http://www.punchhelpers.com/rb_resources.html

Patricia
Toucantango  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2008 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Toucantango

I have been using Punch for a couple of years, and for the most part been very happy with it. I am EXTREMELY disappointed that the color/texture feature in the cabinet wizard has been deleted - in fact I can't believe it. Using material application in liveview is totally unacceptable. Other than jury rigging an older version, isn't there some way that the Punch software creators can re-install this feature? Please - WHO DO I ASK???
krogh, michael  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 18, 2010 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
krogh, michael

I had the same conversation with this company. I have never seen a software company actually delete features in the "upgrade". it does not happen until now. the new version got rid of 1/2 of the functionality of 3D viewing...its terrible. I like some of the new features, but had to go back to the original version. they actually told me they did it because they had complaints about the button and people did not want those features anymore!!!
Patricia G.  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 18, 2010 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi Michael,

In my opinion, the best way of texturing the cabinets developed with the CW is exporting them to the 3D Custom Workshop --> open the cabinet with the 3D CW tool--> select the new material--> select the "matching apply" option (the apply mode icons are on the top of the right bar, this is the 3rd icon from the left) --> apply the new material--> in this way, all the elements that share the same texture will be re textured at once

Patricia
bagby  
#8 Posted : Friday, July 30, 2010 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
bagby

I tried this with V10 instead of V8. There is one essential step left out. First, some preliminaries. Open the v8/10 PEG file and look for the line that says, "PlugIn =" This is the name of the executable file that will be invoked for the plugin. In version 12, the PlugIn is named "CabinetWizard.exe" But in versions 8/10, it's "P!Cabinet.exe" You may want to look at this for yourself. The application expects to find its plug-in executables in the main program directory. Therefore, after following the instructions above, you must move (or copy if you want) the file "P!Cabinet.exe" from the new directory you created, to the main program directory, which is two levels UP from the directory you created-- the same directory that has "CabinetWizard.exe" in it Do verify that you have it in the right directory. If you do this wrong you'll get an error complaining that the program is improperly installed or out of memory. Neither is true, it just means you've got one of the steps wrong, so go over them carefully again.