logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Brown, David H.  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 28, 2005 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Brown, David H.

FWIW: I signed up for KraftMaid's tech specs site to download their .dwg files which I'd hoped to import into the custom object editor. No luck; errors every time ("...supports up to version 2004 files"). The files display fine in a free DWG viewer. I also downloaded a trial app that was supposed to convert .dwg to .dxf and vice-versa in your choice of versions. Still no luck, even converting to earlier versions.Then I tried a second commercial application thqt converts directly from one version of dwg to another. Still no success. It will probably be moot in a few weeks when the cabinets arrive, but this lack of capability was disappointing.
Patricia G.  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 28, 2005 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi David H. Brown,

Let me clarify some points

- The DXF / DWG importer tool works only with the main Punch program and it doesn't import files to the cabinet wizard or the 3D workshop
- In addition, the DXF / DWG importer tool is intended to import CAD plans and convert lines to walls, roofs, etc, but unfortunately, it doesn't convert to cabinets.
- At last, the DXF / DWG importer tool, works only with CAD 2D files. I downloaded / opened a Kraftmaid cabinet file and it is a 3D file. If you check the image attached, in the CAD file you will see the positions / shapes of the UCS Icon and the cursor (outlined in red), these are indicators of 3D files, so you can't import them in Punch

Hope this helps

Patricia
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
Brown, David H.  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 2, 2005 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Brown, David H.

Thanks for the clarification. I don't suppose there's a commercial powertool or anything like that to import 3D models?
Patricia G.  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 2, 2005 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi David H. Brown,

I am not aware of any tool to import 3D files to Punch in the old versions. Of course, with the new versions you can import 3DS and Sketchup files
Of course, you can create your own 3D cabinets with the help of the Cabinet Wizard and 3D Workshop

Hope this helps

Patricia
Wright, Peggy  
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 17, 2005 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Wright, Peggy

The value of being able to import the Kraftmaid or other cabinets is desirable because we don't have to take time to create cabinets that may or may not exactly reflect what is avail on the market. And, if we could import our renderings/elevations would be a true reflection of what we are wanting to create. Altough being able to create 3d objects is highly desirable, from my standpoint is for those times when I need non standard items. I am amazed there are no stock book cases that I can find in the library - as of yet. Any chance anyone here has built a replica of Kraftmaid or other brand name cabinets in the library that is for sale? Although most designers find creating custom objects fun and creative It takes valuable time away from other parts of my business. I would prefer not to have to create everything in the wizard (especially since it opens and closes one cabinet at a time) and would much rather have a pre-build library. I only have a select amount of time to spend on design since I also build. I can not see this program will be able to move into the mainstream with the professional designers because it lacks so many basic features that even 3-d has (more cabinet styles). Granted - it offers other things that are more advanced in the presentation of the data - but if the basics aren't there it is very time consuming, Just my thoughts.
Lower, Steve  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2005 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Lower, Steve

If enough customers were to go to kraftmaid,com and request 2 D Product drawings. Simple marketing economic would be the motivating factor for kraftmaid,. I for one is very impressed with kaftmaid cabinets. I think that Interior Product design software might be just what I need, I plan to buy it as soon as I can afford to. Since I am a Professional School Bus Driver by Day and an amateur house designer by night. I find the house designing to be very relaxing.
Patricia G.  
#7 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2005 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Kraftmaid Cabinets can be imported to the 3D workshop

Please check this message
http://forums.punchsoftware.com/WebX?50@@.fac60d5

Hope this helps

Patricia
Patricia G.  
#8 Posted : Monday, December 11, 2006 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

If you are interested in the import 3DS information as well as in my FB page, you will find it at
http://www.punchhelpers.com/3dsfiles.html

Patricia
wickline, lew  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 12, 2006 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
wickline, lew

I would like to make a forum apology to Patricia, and to every one in the community.When I said to Lyle "your the only one that does anything"I was way out of line!I am pushing my talent to even be able to post a message on this sight.
Patricia G.  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 12, 2006 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Apologies accepted, however, notice that, asking and answering questions at the Forum is better, because the info is shared by all the community

In addition, you can set the Forum preferences to receive the info by e-mail

Patricia
wickline, lew  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, December 13, 2006 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
wickline, lew

Yes it is... I just learned to use the search engine in this sight last night. Know I can really find stuff alot faster. Man you guys have answered alot of questions. Thankz Again Lewis