logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Keck, Roger  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 20, 2008 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Keck, Roger

I wasn't pleased with the sinks that had water showing up past the overflow, and needed to be set ABOVE the countertop surface, so here's how I do it.... First, I took a sink that I liked and lowered the water level to something realistic, then saved it back to the library. If the sink object allows (if it's deep enough), you can also color or texture the water to match the sink and lower it right to the bottom to create an empty sink. Next, I created the sink cabinet (and all adjacent cabinets) WITHOUT a countertop, and exported the sink cabinet to 3DCWS (*.pcw.pob file). Then imported just that cabinet into 3DCWS and applied the transparent texture to the top surface (effectively removing it). After placing the cabinet I contructed a 1" thick countertop over all the cabinets using the flooring tool and textured it to my liking. You can also construct back and side splashes the same way. I then used the 2D oval tool on the "Details" tab to create a sink opening on the countertop and converted it to a flooring cutout 1" high. After placing the sink, I adjusted the cutout by nudging the points and modifying the curve until it fit correctly. All this allows me to set the top of the sink flush with the countertop, and even recess it below the countertop without the countertop surface (nor the cabinet top surface) interfering. The cutout can colored or textured like any other object.
Bates, Bryan  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 1, 2009 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Bates, Bryan

It could be that I'm more impatient than other users, but it seems to me that this is much more complicated than it should be for a consumer oriented product. Most every kitchen that users are going to want to design features a base cabinet with a sink. If the program can't be made "smart" enough to make adding a sink as easy as dropping it on a countertop, then it should at the very least provide a half dozen cabinets with sinks already in place. Ideally, a cabinet with sink would be one of the options in the fly-out menu that allows you to choose the kind of cabinet you'd like to create.
Patricia G.  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 1, 2009 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi Bryan Bates,

Did you check the Punch library of objects? There are kitchen / bath cabinets with sinks

Patricia
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
bagby  
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 3, 2011 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
bagby

>Next, I created the sink cabinet (and all adjacent cabinets) WITHOUT a countertop, How, exactly? I see no option to do this with the cabinet wizard. Does this have to be done in the 3D workshop? If so, I'm not looking forward to tackling that. This is an old thread, but the question is still viable. There's no option to add a sink in the cabinet wizard and trying to create such a basic thing in 3D custom workshop is a masterclass. It's interesting to know that the flooring tool can be used to create counters, but likely this is another masterclass. Still, from abusing the roofing tool I get an inkling of how to do countertops, and can see that you'd need something like this because the cabinet wizard lacks the ability to cut holes in countertops (or cabinet tops, for that matter). (later) Ok, setting the countertop to zero thickness and unchecking the backsplash seems to do this.
Patricia G.  
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 3, 2011 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
I'd assume that you've an old program (version 12 or older) and we are talking about the Cabinet Wizard Power tool: in the case, develop your cabinet --> File --> export to Custom Workshop --> Open the cabinet with the 3D workshop cabinet --> delete the counter

To develop with the hole, using the 3D workshop--> you can follow this tutorial by RB Gardener
RB Gardener, "Hole in Counter Top" #1, 18 Jul 2002 3:20 pm
- develop a counter using the floor tool--> create a floor following the counter shape --> set the elevation and thickness --> create the hole using the Floor Cutout tool

Patricia
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store