logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Patricia G.  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 11, 2004 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi Villengineer, The export DXF tool of Punch Pro works with a difference of 20%. You can read this message http://isuzu23.webcrossing.com/WebX?230@@.fa6f2f6 My suggestion is: upgrade to Punch AS 18 or AS 3000, the DXF export tool works fine and they also have DXF import tool. Punch doesn't work with fractional dimensions. However, notice that Punch is not a CAD program, but a home design program. Their concepts are different Hope this helps Patricia
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
Murphy, Rob L  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 12, 2004 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Murphy, Rob L

Hi Villengineer. I too find the dimensioning parameters in this program frustrating; spoiled by AutoCads exactness I guess. Still, this program started as a "Suzi-homeowner" picture maker and it has improved considerably. For the scale of exports: In AutoCad, have you tried scaling the dxf to a line you know the required dimension of (SCALE; Reference, existing length say 3.33901 to required length of 3.5), then updating dimensions (bottom of the dimension pull down menu)to see if they all follow suit? I'd like to know because I'll be doing similar work on an upcoming plan. Thanx!
Villengineer  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 12, 2004 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Villengineer

The dxf wasn't at a difference of 20%. I found it to be about 4.993501%. That's just plain ridiculous. If a program states it can export dxf it should be able to do it correctly. I'm a mechanical engineer and have used all sorts of different drawing programs, from the relatively cheap and simple to the very expensive and complex, and never had one not export dxf correctly. By the way some of that info in the link about AutoCad is wrong. I've used every version on AutoCad since 10 and .dwg has always been the native format. Dxf is simply an industry accepted fomat to transfer the data between different programs. I purchased Pro b/c it is portrayed as a drawing program that has been tailored/simplified for use specifically in the design of home. Having all the archtitectural symbols available was a big selling point. Plus they at least give the impression that you can create prints with it. They should plainly state in their info that in fact can't. Not being able to display fractional dimensions boggles my mind. That's not even a difficult programing function since the ability to work in units less than 1" is already built in. Not to mention that their "standard" interior wall thicknesses aren't even correct. I can't find anything from Punch that states that AS18 or AS3000 are actually any more capable at producing usable prints. Besides, I already have 2/3 or it redrawn in AutoCad. Not to mention for that kind of money, if I didn't already have AutoCad, I could get ahold of a seat of IntelliCad which even uses dwg. I just hope they will stand behing their 90 day guarantee because there's a big difference between what they at least imply this program can do and what it actually will. Don't get me wrong there are some "neat" things about the 3D stuff, but I viewed that stuff as just icing on the cake not a reason to buy the program.
Villengineer  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 12, 2004 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Villengineer

The thing is AutoCad is stone tablets and a chisel compared to what I spend my workday on. I was hoping this program would keep me away from the tediousness of AutoCad. Anyhow, I did try the Scale Reference function, but it still didn't make every thing completely to scale. It was close, but all I had to find is one thing off and you have to question everything else. Not worth the headache IMO. Especially since all the doors and windows end up as cluttered messes, no dims and some other things don't transfer either. So I just started over. I know this isn't high end software, but here's a question to ponder. If you can't make accurate drawings or prints, why can you create footers, grade beams, etc... This stuff is transparent to the homeowner. Why add these functions if you can't even get dimensioning correct. Just doesn't make sense.