logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Patricia G.  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2005 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi MJVisner,

Let me clarify some points.
Until the release of Punch AS 4000, there wasn't a way to add new textures in Punch, so we replaced the old textures with new textures. However, this procedure was not approved by Punch and it generated interferences with the Power Tools
This situation changed with Punch AS 4000 and Punch Platinum 8, because they have the Material Workshop, and you can create your own library with your own textures.
Notice that the old Platinum V 4.5.1. hasn't this feature

Therefore, if you have Platinum 8, forget the texture replacement and enjoy the Material Workshop

Let us know if you need additional help

Patricia
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
Patricia G.  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2005 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Sorry, I imagined that Punch introduced a new feature in Platinum V8, because they are announcing in the TV that Platinum V8 includes the free Material Workshop

Patricia
Patricia G.  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2005 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Check this (specially at the end of the commercial)

http://www.drpshop.com/p...pid=54&requestid=7766456
MJVisner  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 15, 2005 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
MJVisner

Thank you so much for clarifying that for me. Now that I know I can import my own wallpaper makes me happy. Do you happen to have any info or know where I can find out how. As stated I played with it for hours, I have read the in software help as well as the pdf manual (which Punch themselves referred me to, which is funny because it is exactly the same as the in software help which I told them I already read and it was no help, so they tell me to read the pdf manual which is helpful for "learning curves" lol I have the learning curve? but I didn't just blow my customer off by telling them the exact same information they already told , they read and it wasn't helpful??) I have also spent hours doing searches here and at punch alternatives and can't find any information. I was assuming it would be something fairly simple like just take one of their existing wallpapers and modifying it by maybe copy and pasting your own texture over it and saving it as a different file? Pretty much all I am interested in doing is making some different wallpapers and exterior covering. I have tons of wallpaper jpeg from my SIMS games. :-) Thanks again for your help.
MJVisner  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2005 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
MJVisner

I have been to that site before Lyle. I'm sorry I am feeling rather stupid right now. I am normally pretty good at figuring things out, in fact I know nothing about designing and have never before used any program like this but I have been able to figure out how to design a home as well as a little bit of the 3D custom workshop, but I have figured out how to use punch to design a home, but for some reason I just can not figure out the materials workshop. I have used photo explosion deluxe to edit pictures say for instance a picture of some marble for a counter top. I have created 2 files both .bmp. one that is 256x256 the other 50x50. Now that is where it ends I can not figure out how to get them into material workshop. I have tried doing open custom color from inside material modifier and going to where I have these saved (under my documents/my textures) and open but they don't open. I am just lost as to what to do from here. I have figured out how to take one of their existing textures in material modifier drag it into the window use the custom shapes to draw a color on the texture. That is about the extent as to what I have figured out. Please help I know it has got to be something simple I am just not getting it. I am very familiar with paint and especially photo editing programs. I have done a lot of creating objects, clothes, floors and wallpapers for The SIMS games but this has just got me stumped.
MJVisner  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2005 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
MJVisner

Lyle I have read all of your Commandments previously & just read the Textures & Colors. Thank you so much for all your time & effort you put into helping us.:-) However I am feeling rather stupid. I have pretty much figured out everything I need to know to design & even a little bit of 3D workshop, but for some reason I just do not get this Material Modifier. The thing I really liked about this program was the fact that it looked like you didn't have to be an architect to use it, and 2nd the on line community where you could share creations for your designs, but unfortunately the program is too technical for dummies like me. All of the directions I have come across tell you how to save this or that it doesn't just say 1) take a texture use paint shop to modify 2)re size to 256x256 3)save as .bmp 4) click on (x) to import into material modifier etc...just easy step by step once I figure that out I will know how it works & I will be able to figure out what else I can do with it. Your information is probably wonderful for people that know software & it probably helps them out, but you are like a doctor talking in medical terms to a patient & I just don't get it sorry :-) (I am very familiar with editing software especially photo explosion deluxe & the only paint I have is MS paint) I have created textures & have 2 of each 1 in 256x256 & another in 50x50 saved as .bmp just in a file in my documents but I don't know what to do with them now. I am guessing I have to get them into Material Modifier some how so I can use them to Modify one of Punches existing textures but I can not for the life of me figure out how to get my textures into the modifier.
MJVisner  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2005 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
MJVisner

Well Lyle as I stated in my 1st post I have also tried this step of taking my 2 textures both are saved as .bmp extensions and dropping them in the folder, re naming the 256x256 as cover31.ptx and the 50x50 as cover31.ppv then I left punch's cover31.pti as it was & named the 2 original ppv & ptx files as cover31old.ppv & cover31old.ptx. Both of my bitmaps by the way are still listed as .bmp (of course) under thier properties even though they are named .ptx & .ppv unlike existing punch textures under their properties they show as ptx & ppv. Is this what is wrong? Am I supposed to somehow save my 2 files as ptx & ppv? Which there is no program that I have that allows to save with that extension. Well when I go to the very last spot on wall covering after re naming my 2 textures, it is just a gray square & of course if I drop it into my home design it colors gray. Thanks anyway for the help, this has just got me frustrated I give up, I will search for some other software that will do what I want easier. This has just been a huge waste of my time and money. This is not in anyway your fault Lyle & please don't think this is directed at you. I appreciate all the help you have given me, my fault it's not working, I guess I'm doing something wrong. (sorry for the double post I thought the 1st one didn't go through because it never showed up here):-)
Patricia G.  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2005 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi MJVisner,

Try in this way.
Say you are going to replace the file(s) "cover31" using the file "mytexture.bmp"

- Go to your Window Explorer
- Select--> Tool--> Folder Options--> View--> Uncheck "Hide Extensions for known file types"
- Now all your files will appear as the first image attached
- Open MSPaint(if you have MS Windows, you have it)--> File--> Open--> "mytexture.bmp"
- Delete "mytexture.bmp" and write "cover31.ptx". You need to write the name of the extension with the name of the file as you see in the second image attached
- Proceed in the same way with the "cover31.ppv" file

Hope this helps

Patricia
MJVisner  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2005 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
MJVisner

That worked Patricia thanks for the help. I read somewhere before about the double extensions as soon as you told me how to turn off the hide extension I knew where you were going & sure enough that is what was happening. Finally I have my wallpaper ty ty ty. Now if I can just bother you for one more thing. How can make my texture not repeat but stretch instead. I have some wallpapers that have a border at the top and bottom it is not a repeating pattern. I'm sure you know what I mean if not tell me how to do an attachment like you did and I will show you a picture. :-) Thanks again for the help.
Patricia G.  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2005 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi MJVisner,

I am glad to know you are using your wallpaper!

Regarding the size of the texture: say you replaced a brick texture, you can resize it using the PTI file information. Suppose you replaced the texture "BrickXY".

1 - Go to the Windows Explorer-->Program Files-->(your Punch Program)-->Textures-->Bricks
2 - For each texture, you will find 3 files (2 bitmaps and 1 PTI). The PTI is the description
3 - Right click in the file BrickXY.PTI File-->Open with-->Notepad
4 - You will see
[Size]
Width=xx
Height=xx
Change these values until they fit your necessities
5 -Save it using Notepad.
6 - In liveview, check if the size is OK, or repeat as necessary

To add an attachment, reply this message and at the bottom of the screen you will see 3 boxes (see picture attached). You can attach 3 files

Let us know if you need additional help

Patricia
Eveson, Bob  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, April 20, 2005 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Eveson, Bob

Hi, Patricia

I have been using Punch for 6 years now and I still can't figure out how to reply with an attachment.
I have never seen any place for attachments on my replys. Its all I have is Title and Message thats all.
How do I get the attachment buttons to start with.
Thanks for your help Patricia.
Haspiel, Myles  
#12 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2005 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Haspiel, Myles

I too have spent hours trying to get the Materials Painter to do something that evidently it was not designed to do even though the instructions indicate you can customize paint, brickwork (per page 169 of the of the user’s Guide). Changing the tint falls far short of customizing, cannot even modify the size. So what is the point? I thought Version 8 Materials Painter would be an improvement and from what I see, it is not. Why not put 451-texture editor in Version 8 and stop this silliness. Do not fix something that is not broken.
Martin, Angela  
#13 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2008 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Martin, Angela

I am not having any luck applying a material type to the exterior of a self-created design or pre-made template. When I go to the Materials toolbar and select brick and then try to drag with the arrow to the selected house exterior, nothing happens. I have refreshed changed the display settings and tried everything else I can think of. I can get the grass to change, some interior walls, but not exterior walls. Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong? Any help is appreciated.
Patricia G.  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, April 22, 2008 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi Angela Martin, Does this happen only with the MM materials? this is odd Send me your plan + material and I will check it Patricia [email protected]