logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dave.t  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 22, 2018 12:05:23 AM(UTC)
dave.t

United States

Hi all,

Using Home Design Studio Complete for Mac 19.0.8 to draw an existing two-level outbuilding prior to remodel design. Fairly simple garage/shop on first level and bonus room above. Apologies if my questions have been answered already (could not find any topics) or if my questions don't make sense in the Punch world.

1. First issue is drawing a monolithic slab foundation/floor so that the foundation plan doesn't show the dashed line around the perimeter (as there are no true "footing" that extend laterally outside the perimeter of the slab). It appears one thing I could do is draw a stiffener beam to simulate the thickened edge around the perimeter and do a "move to floor" or "move to plan" to keep it out of the foundation plan, then simply uncheck foundation so the wall footings don't display.

2. Second issue is how to set elevation for that slab, as all but about 2" of the slab is below grade. I assume I should set the slab at 4" thick and elevate it -2" from the grass. But I'm not sure if that is wise, as it complicates the setting of the higher floor elevations. I have printed out Pat G's elevation organizer to help set the default floor elevations and wall heights, but I'm not sure how negative values impact this process (and I only have two levels). Maybe it's better to draw everything starting at zero and then fill in with topo tools later.

3. Third issue is that one end of the building's ground level has a 4' tall 8" thick poured concrete retaining wall (slab poured up to it) with a 2x6 wall framed on it. If I try to draw it traditionally the segments fuse and the properties get transferred to the other walls. So, one idea I had was to create it in the landscape plan, then nudge it onto the perimeter edge. Q: should I just draw a 2x6 wall from the top of the slab up to ceiling all around and then move the retaining wall into place where it would "co-exist" with the framed wall? Or should I try to draw the 2x6 wall on top of the retaining wall? If the latter, I need to set some wall breaks to accomplish that, and elevating and specifying the height of the upper 2x6 wall becomes a bit of a challenge. Thoughts?

I have also experimented with making the slab the 'basement" with a wall height of, say, 1". Then drawing the ground floor walls on top of that. Not sure that helps me with any of the above and it complicates the elevation and wall heights of the subsequent two levels.

I think I'd like to start again from scratch and define everything vertically at the outset. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Happy Thanksgiving,
Dave

Patricia G.  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 22, 2018 2:22:55 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi Dave,

First, let's review some important concepts:
- Punch is a 3D Home Design program, intended for architectural design and visualization. Therefore, as it is not intended for engineering purposes, the number of structural options is limited and it includes just the basic structural elements.
- Note that almost all the foundation elements (except Foundation Piers) are not visible in 3D Liveview.

Originally Posted by: dave.t Go to Quoted Post

1. First issue is drawing a monolithic slab foundation/floor so that the foundation plan doesn't show the dashed line around the perimeter (as there are no true "footing" that extend laterally outside the perimeter of the slab). It appears one thing I could do is draw a stiffener beam to simulate the thickened edge around the perimeter and do a "move to floor" or "move to plan" to keep it out of the foundation plan, then simply uncheck foundation so the wall footings don't display.

Try this workaround => define the Framing properties and set the foundation width with same width of the walls.

2. Second issue is how to set elevation for that slab, as all but about 2" of the slab is below grade. I assume I should set the slab at 4" thick and elevate it -2" from the grass. But I'm not sure if that is wise, as it complicates the setting of the higher floor elevations. I have printed out Pat G's elevation organizer to help set the default floor elevations and wall heights, but I'm not sure how negative values impact this process (and I only have two levels). Maybe it's better to draw everything starting at zero and then fill in with topo tools later.

It will depend of your goals: for example, if you are creating a file for permit purposes, you must set the parameters as calculated by your builder, engineer, etc. If you edit the levels, don't forget to use the automatic adjustments.

3. Third issue is that one end of the building's ground level has a 4' tall 8" thick poured concrete retaining wall (slab poured up to it) with a 2x6 wall framed on it. If I try to draw it traditionally the segments fuse and the properties get transferred to the other walls. So, one idea I had was to create it in the landscape plan, then nudge it onto the perimeter edge. Q: should I just draw a 2x6 wall from the top of the slab up to ceiling all around and then move the retaining wall into place where it would "co-exist" with the framed wall? Or should I try to draw the 2x6 wall on top of the retaining wall? If the latter, I need to set some wall breaks to accomplish that, and elevating and specifying the height of the upper 2x6 wall becomes a bit of a challenge. Thoughts?

Levels are just locations in the space, so I'd suggest to create a different floor for each elevation.

Hope this helps.
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
dave.t  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 22, 2018 3:27:06 PM(UTC)
dave.t

United States

Thanks for the input and help, Pat. I'll try the ideas.

Dave
Patricia G.  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 22, 2018 3:43:45 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
You're welcome! ThumpUp
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store