logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Arthur07  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2020 3:46:32 PM(UTC)
Arthur07

Mexico

Good Morning,

This weekend I recently upgraded my Punch Home and Landscape Design software to Windows Ver 20. I have a file from my architect for an addition plan in DWG format and I want to open it up in this program to see how some modifications may look. It took a while to find a way to open the DWG file because at first the Import button is not functional (I had to open a new plan, then insert an object like Hallway and click continue before it would allow functionability of this command).

I selected the DWG file and selected open, but everytime I do, the program immediately crashes and can’t open the program. Has anyone else experienced the same problem? Is it a bug in the program? Or am I doing something wrong? Is there an alternative method to open the file? [As a more advanced possible issue which I haven't gotten to yet, can I import two DWG files into the same file? I have one DWG from the topographer with lot lines and a second DWG from the architect and wonder if I can open one on top of the other...but I have to resolve this issue first.]

Thanks so much,

Arthur
Patricia G.  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2020 4:47:16 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi there,

Originally Posted by: Arthur07 Go to Quoted Post
I have a file from my architect for an addition plan in DWG format and I want to open it up in this program to see how some modifications may look. It took a while to find a way to open the DWG file because at first the Import button is not functional (I had to open a new plan, then insert an object like Hallway and click continue before it would allow functionability of this command)

If the menu is grayed out, then you are in "Quick Start mode". The Quick Start mode is just this, a fast layout, so you can use or just bypass it.
Therefore, you don't need to add a room => after you press the "Continue" button you will be able to save, import, trace, print, move, as well as use all the Punch features.

selected the DWG file and selected open, but everytime I do, the program immediately crashes and can’t open the program. Has anyone else experienced the same problem? Is it a bug in the program? Or am I doing something wrong? Is there an alternative method to open the file?

No bug here. In Punch, when you use "File => Open" you can open a Punch file (PRO file). If you wish to use a DWG file, you must import the file => File => Import => DWG
If you experience problems to import the file, follow this tutorial in my website.

[As a more advanced possible issue which I haven't gotten to yet, can I import two DWG files into the same file? I have one DWG from the topographer with lot lines and a second DWG from the architect and wonder if I can open one on top of the other...but I have to resolve this issue first.]

Yes, you can. Use different tabs and levels.

Punch, as any program, has a learning curve. The best way to learn the program, IMO, is practice + practice + practice => Read and follow the manual (this is important), see the videos => try to create elements not related with your project, so you will become familiar with the commands and how to develop the different components.

In addition, you will find tutorials and resources in my Website and Facebook page

If you are interested, this is the link for the V20 eBook for Windows. My eBook includes several tutorials about starting and developing a project, setting floors and elevations, etc.

Hope this helps.

Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
thanks 1 user thanked Patricia G. for this useful post.
Arthur07 on 3/3/2020(UTC)
Arthur07  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2020 5:19:11 PM(UTC)
Arthur07

Mexico

Thank you Pat! I just glanced at your links and it looks like you have a lot of useful information there. I will have to take some time and review the information in depth and attempt it again.

Thanks again!

Arthur
Patricia G.  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2020 5:27:02 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi Arthur,

You're welcome!

Thank you for your feedback ThumpUp
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store