logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lindsayta  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2020 2:43:14 PM(UTC)
lindsayta

United States

Hi - attached is a drawing of a project I'm working on. I see color differences between some materials when floating on topography vs set to a set/fixed elevation.

Grass - nearer to the house is floating (light), whereas the grass nearer the wall is set to an elevation to indicate fill behind the wall (dark).
Fill - right at the wall is brown fill material (dark) at a set elevation, whereas the same material for the general landscape elsewhere (floating) is light.
Concrete - the driveway is floating (light) and the sidewalk near the house (fixed elevation) are the same material.
Wall - the major portion of the wall is set to a fixed elevation (dark), whereas the stones along the upper part of the driveway (light) are floating.

Why are these colors different? I some cases I can get them to look the same if I choose a different material.

Tom
3realignedCurvedLot&House.jpg (57kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
Patricia G.  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2020 7:54:05 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi there,

You are seeing 4 different issues

1 - The shadows of the objects.
2 - The effect of the floating effects
3 - The size of the polygons composing the the object.
4 - The 3D rendering effect. Also, in Punch, the programs apply the textures / colors in tiles from one corner to the opposite corner of each wall segment, for this reason, the shadows of the two parts (lower and upper) look different. In order to set the desired effect, change the lighting settings.

Punch, as any program, has a learning curve. The best way to learn the program, IMO, is practice + practice + practice => Read and follow the manual (this is important), see the videos => try to create elements not related with your project, so you will become familiar with the commands and how to manage the different components and effects .

If you are interested, in my eBook for Windows V20 I describe the the textures and effects in detail.

Hope this helps.
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
lindsayta  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 5, 2020 3:46:13 PM(UTC)
lindsayta

United States

Hi Patricia - the specific question I have is the "floating effect", if I understand your terms. That is, colors are different if I change a surface from floating to a set elevation or vice versa. I don't mind it - it can be quite informative, actually, but I'm just curious if it's intentional or can be controlled.

Tom
Patricia G.  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 5, 2020 6:20:46 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Imagine that you have a fabric placed on an undulated surface, following the contour => the sheet is "floating" on the surface, therefore, there are shadows that modify the look of the texture.

Hope this helps.
lindsayta  
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 6, 2020 3:07:15 AM(UTC)
lindsayta

United States

Interesting, okay. Been looking at your website, impressive. I've had quite a learning curve, and clearly there is much more to learn. But the program has gotten me to where I need to be for my retaining wall project. The most difficult part has been trying to estimate the contour lines in our property, but that's in good shape now.

Thanks so much.

I do have one more question that I'll possibly ask.

Tom
Patricia G.  
#6 Posted : Saturday, June 6, 2020 12:14:04 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

You're welcome! ThumpUp
lindsayta  
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2020 6:23:50 PM(UTC)
lindsayta

United States

Hi, sorry to come back to this, but I am unable to get the colors I want for a surface that is defined by a fixed elevation. Hopefully you can help me.

For example, I can define a pathway. I want it to be white, so I choose white paint. When the pathway is floating above topography, it is white. But when I define a fixed elevation, it becomes gray. And there is nothing I've found either through another choice color or through editing that can get it to be white.

I've found this same issue regardless of material - floating vs fixed grass, floating or fixed walls, floating or fixed pathway, etc. My primary problem has to do with a retaining wall, which must be set to a fixed elevation - I cannot find or create any colors that match those of commercial wall blocks.

Any suggestions?

Do you know if v21 operates the same way?

Tom
lindsayta  
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2020 6:36:16 PM(UTC)
lindsayta

United States

To be a little more clear, I can find or create desired colors in the Library panel to the right, but when I select and apply them in the 3D drawing view to items that are set by a fixed elevation, they are not that color. White becomes mid-gray, and I'd say any other color's luminance seems to drop by 1/3 or so (estimating).

But if floating above topography, the colors are the same as in the Library panel when applied. I would like that to be the case for items that are at fixed elevations.

I'm probably missing something simple...

Tom
Forum Host  
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 25, 2020 7:33:20 PM(UTC)
Forum Host

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Hello,

I believe that the answers that you received above are very clear and explain the issue.

Home Design programs insert colors and textures in context: lights, shadows, components, etc.
If you wish to change the material colors, you can use the Material Modifier.

Otherwise, you can submit a ticket to Tech Support so they can check if there is any issue with your file or your hardware.

All the best.
Punch! Software Forum Host
Questions or Comments about the Forum? Email Me!
[email protected]