logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kezlam  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 14, 2021 5:50:51 AM(UTC)
Kezlam

United States

Hi everyone I am new to Home & Landscape Design Pro. As a fun first project I am making a replica of my house. My roof is actually a really hard challenge. I didn't expect that... I made a video I will link to explain what I am trying to do better than words.

Youtube Video showing question

Basically I have a section of roof that continues under my dormer that in real life has a break a few feet inside the dormer. The dormer cut tool doesn't work to the edge of the roof. I will include some images here for people that don't want to watch the video. I am very new to the software. Thanks!

Kenzie
Kezlam  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 14, 2021 5:52:02 AM(UTC)
Kezlam

United States

Images weren't posting so I am replying with an image of what I am trying to do.
Image of roof question
Patricia G.  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 14, 2021 4:02:06 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi there,

Thank you for posting detailed information (it helps to point the problems) ThumpUp

Some notes and tips.

Notes:
- Punch is a Home Design program, this means that the program understands constructively the components that you are drawing. For example, in a drawing program, you draw an element and by editing the mesh, you can convert an element into another one. However in Punch, a wall, for example, can be only a wall, with the constructive elements of a wall and the framing properties of a wall. So, modifications can be created if they make sense constructively.
- The roof that you used is a Ready to Use Gable roof (first tool in the Roof tab) => note that you can't edit the ready to use roofs neither you can add / delete points in these roofs. If you need editable roofs, create your components using the Freehand Roof tool (second tool in the Roof tab).
- To clarify the solutions below, the element that you are pointing in your video (pointed with a magenta arrow in the image below) is called Fascia

Roof 1.jpg (34kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

Now, the tips and solutions:

- I created a similar situation. In the image below, you can see the Ready to Use roof (pointed with a blue arrow in the image below), the section that you want to edit (pointed with a green arrow in the image below), and the Fascia (pointed with a magenta arrow in the image below).

Roof 2.jpg (91kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

Now, check the situation in Framing mode => as you can see, as the main roof is a solid, therefore there is no way to cut the Fascia.

Roof 3.jpg (207kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

- In the 2 images below (Shaded View and Framing View), you can see a Freehand Roof edited with points added. As you can see, the Fascia is not present and you can extend the main roof to create the roof returns.

Roof 5.jpg (71kb) downloaded 1 time(s).
Roof 4.jpg (81kb) downloaded 2 time(s).

If you prefer, you can create the roof returns with separated pieces of roof (Freehand Roof tool).

Punch, as any program, has a learning curve. The best way to learn the program, IMO, is practice + practice + practice => Read and follow the manual (this is important), see the videos => try to create elements not related with your project, so you will become familiar with the commands and how to manage the different components and effects .

If you are interested, my eBook for the V21 programs includes a full chapter about roof as well as the images and instructions about 21 types of roofs.

Hope this helps.

(BTW, you website is nice! Cool )
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
Kezlam  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 16, 2021 7:31:55 PM(UTC)
Kezlam

United States

Wow thanks so much for the info! I didn't fully know how the 2 different roof tools worked differently. That is amazing! I have watched all the training videos available and read much of the manual but until you actually use the tools its hard to understand exactly how they work. I am not an architect or in that field. I am doing this as a hobby but I love it and am trying to learn more. I am in the videogame industry and use 3d software daily. I was actually looking to purchase your ebook as well as your collections. Love your detailed response. I tried my best to show the issues I was running into. I knew there must be a solution. This software seems very solid. It's a little clunky from a 3d modeling perspective but I have learned a lot fast and it has been very intuitive. Again, thanks so much for the response. I plan on spending time this weekend digging into this.
Patricia G.  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 16, 2021 7:54:16 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

You're welcome! ThumpUp

Kezlam  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 18, 2021 6:23:34 AM(UTC)
Kezlam

United States

Hi Patricia, I ordered your ebook. The help you gave me in your response worked perfectly. The download link is not working. It fails every time I try to download the ebook. Firefox wont even start the download and Chrome fails. I will keep trying but I wanted to let you know. Thanks again for the help.
Patricia G.  
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 18, 2021 1:48:32 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hello,

Thank you for your purchase and sorry for the inconvenience!

Sometimes, this issue happens due to IP limitations.
Anyway, I just sent the file via WeTransfer. If you don’t see the email, please check your Spam / Trash folders.

I hope you enjoy the eBook!