logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mackfoo  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 28, 2023 7:12:09 PM(UTC)
Mackfoo

United States

Placing cabinets seems to be very buggy. I select the cabinet type I want from the menu but when I click on a wall to place it, instead it places an island cabinet type in the room nearby. I cannot get it to place the ones I have chosen on the wall.
Patricia G.  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 28, 2023 7:24:00 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi there,

No bugs here => you just need to place the cabinet in the correct place.

When you use the Cabinet tool (Floor Tab), you have two options to place the cabinets.
- If you place the cabinet by clicking on the floor of the room, Punch will set an island cabinet.
- If you place the cabinet by clicking or dragging on the wall of the room, Punch will set a wall cabinet using the selected model => go to the cabinets' menu => select the desired model => click inside the wall.
See image below.

Cabinets and islands.jpg (48kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

Important Tip: you can insert the cabinet first and select the model after.

Now, if you wish to add cabinets without the walls, check my Cabinets Collection
It is a new collection with dozens of cabinets, islands, sets, pieces, etc. They don’t need to be attached to a wall and they can be customized using different models, hardware, materials, colors, and features.

UserPostedImage

Hope this helps
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
Mackfoo  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 28, 2023 8:29:41 PM(UTC)
Mackfoo

United States

I appreciate the help and that is definitely how it is supposed to work. However, it seems to have trouble detecting when you are on a wall and I have even had it place an island directly over a wall instead of the chosen cabinet.

As you approach the wall with the cursor it changes to "on" but it will still sometimes place an island instead.
Patricia G.  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 28, 2023 8:46:07 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi there,

It should work without problems. I am using it for years! Cool

Two additional tips:
1 - You must click in the axis of the wall (not on the surfaces)
2 - Zoom on the wall to confirm the placement of the cabinet.

Cabinet 2.jpg (37kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

Otherwise, check the conditions of your mouse.

Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
Mackfoo  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 28, 2023 9:38:02 PM(UTC)
Mackfoo

United States

As you approach a wall with the mouse the cursor changes to be "on", this happens before the cursor is over the wall and I assumed this meant that when you click to add something it means on the wall but that is not what happens. Does "on" mean something else?

As you test going more and more over the wall, there are points where the cursor is over the wall but it still places the island. There seems to be a sweet spot towards the center of a wall where it will actually work but there is also a random point that it will sometimes put the cabinet on the other side of the wall. The way this works is counterintuitive, when the curser says "on" it should be placing whatever you have selected on the wall. Also, it should never place an island when another type of cabinet is selected, why would anyone want that? It seems pretty likely that is a bug even though you may have been making it work for years.

I should also add that every time it places the island instead of what you want it resets any cabinet dimensions or design info you have entered. You can partially solve this by only placing the default cabinet and then changing its dimensions after, however, the default width is sometimes too wide for the wall space so it will not place anything.
Forum Host  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 28, 2023 11:47:03 PM(UTC)
Forum Host

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 18 post(s)
All the items that you mentioned as "bugs" are settings that work nicely when they are applied correctly.

It is important that the Punch users learn the concepts. If you check the cabinets' tool tip, you will find the basic instructions (wall included) as well as the links to find the tutorial and the text in the user guide. Learning and practicing the program are very important steps to use Punch.

Originally Posted by: Mackfoo Go to Quoted Post
As you approach a wall with the mouse the cursor changes to be "on", this happens before the cursor is over the wall and I assumed this meant that when you click to add something it means on the wall but that is not what happens. Does "on" mean something else?

Yes. I'd suggest that you check the importance of the "Snaps"

Originally Posted by: Mackfoo Go to Quoted Post
I should also add that every time it places the island instead of what you want it resets any cabinet dimensions or design info you have entered. You can partially solve this by only placing the default cabinet and then changing its dimensions after, however, the default width is sometimes too wide for the wall space so it will not place anything.

This was informed in Pat's post.
Originally Posted by: Patricia G. Go to Quoted Post
Important Tip: you can insert the cabinet first and select the model after.

Punch! Software Forum Host
Questions or Comments about the Forum? Email Me!
[email protected]