logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CynthiaAdams  
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 17, 2023 9:27:38 PM(UTC)
CynthiaAdams

I have been using Punch for about 15 years. I am currently using Design Professional Version 17.7 but I am thinking about buying the new Version 22.

My issue is the 3D image rendering speed. Have they addressed how to speed up the software or are they still using the same ray tracing techniques which seem to take about 15 minutes to render a nice final quality image for export?

I am currently running Punch! on a HP Pavillion 360 quadcore Intel Core i5 10th generation @1 Ghz laptop running Windows 11 with 8 GB Ram, 500 GB hard disk, with Intel UHD graphics on board. It is used for drawing with the compatible pen and that part renders images very quickly.

I have had these same rendering problems with other systems including one with a solid state hard drive and a dedicated graphics card which I thought would fix the problem.

What is LuxCore and does that affect my problems with 3D rendering?
Patricia G.  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 18, 2023 12:25:45 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi there,

First and very important, notice that not all the Punch programs include the same features, so I'd suggest that you check this chart .

Now regarding the rendering issue: Luxcore is the new rendering engine. It is faster than the old system because it doesn't use the video card.
From the Punch website:

PHOTO RENDERING ENGINE (LUXCORE)
The new photo rendering engine is a physically based rendering (PBR) solution exploiting state-of-the-art algorithms that simulate the flow of light according to physical equations. Also introduced are a new set of physically based materials with parameters based on the optical properties of metals, glass, matte, glossy, and transparent surfaces.
PBR lighting and materials combine together to produce stunning images of photographic quality.
Improved rendering times with responsive interrupt. Customizable rendering settings lets you control draft and final rendering time limits. Quality results in minutes instead of hours.
Wide range of lighting options.
Drag and drop light effects onto any surface to create custom lighting designs such as light bulbs, strip lighting, fireplaces, neon lights.
Gamma correction to help control brightness of the scene.
Exterior lighting includes HDRI, sunlight, and skylight.

I'd suggest that you check the new features and images in the "What's new" tab in this page.

More images and features in my eBook for V22 page.

Hope this helps.
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store