logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chscory  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 18, 2023 3:51:13 AM(UTC)
chscory

United States

I am drawing a home with 6" exterior walls and 4" interior walls. The 4" interior walls do not join with the 6" exterior walls. Is there a setting that I am missing?

I am using Architectural Series V22
Patricia G.  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 18, 2023 12:51:09 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi there,

Although we draw all the walls with the same tool, in a Punch floorplan, we have two types of walls: exterior and interior.
The exterior walls define the perimeter of building, house, etc and these walls are contiguous (fused). This is important because this enclosed perimeter defines several parameters. The exterior walls share the mentioned parameters, so they must fused using the mouse and look as a unit (outlined in green in the image).

The interior walls are independent so they are not contiguous and this is noted in the plan, as you can see in the image below.

Fuse.jpg (21kb) downloaded 7 time(s).

So, the short answer is that the recommended method is creating the walls in the perimeter first, and then, the interior walls.

Punch, as any program, has a learning curve. The best way to learn the program, IMO, is practice + practice + practice => Read, search and follow the User Guide (this is important) => try to create elements not related with your project, so you will become familiar with the commands and how to manage the different components.
If you are interested, my eBook for Punch V22 for Windows includes the all the features, lots of tutorials, screen guides, tables, examples, rendering results as well as images.

Hope this helps.
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
chscory  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 19, 2023 12:51:50 AM(UTC)
chscory

United States

Thank you Patricia. I also noticed that the dimensions don't always add up. Is there a way to see the angle of the wall and adjust it if necessary? That way you know the walls are parallel and perpendicular.
Patricia G.  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 19, 2023 3:12:55 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi there

Originally Posted by: chscory Go to Quoted Post
Thank you Patricia.
ThumpUp

I also noticed that the dimensions don't always add up.
Not sure what do you mean?

Is there a way to see the angle of the wall and adjust it if necessary? That way you know the walls are parallel and perpendicular.
You can rotate a wall following an angle, but you can't verify the angle between two walls.
Now, if you wall is not straight, I'd suggest that you select one of the ends and move it using the arrows of your keyboard. In this case, verify that "Snap to Grid" is unchecked.
Also, check the Auto Snap and Laser Alignment settings.

Tip: to draw a straight wall (no angle) => press the CRTL button in your keyboard while you are drawing the wall.

Hope this helps.

chscory  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 19, 2023 3:32:45 AM(UTC)
chscory

United States

I have 2 rooms side by side the wall between them with a dimension is 11' long but 1 room dimension says 11'1 and the other says 10'11. I tried to upload a .png picture of the drawing but it wont upload
Patricia G.  
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 19, 2023 1:11:22 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi there,

I tried to upload a .png picture of the drawing but it wont upload
To insert pictures in your post, please follow these instructions.

I have 2 rooms side by side the wall between them with a dimension is 11' long but 1 room dimension says 11'1 and the other says 10'11.
The issue is the room space definition => The room dimensions (label) show the dims between the axis of the walls. The wall to wall dimension tools show the distance between the surfaces of the walls.
Notice that rooms with different wall thickness consider just one thickness therefore you must calculate the area as explained above.
There are lots of interesting posts about this issue, such as this

Hope this helps.