logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LHooks  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 19, 2024 9:10:43 PM(UTC)
LHooks

United States

I am a new user (using V22) and I am having a lot of trouble importing base information to begin a landscape design. I am not using the software for home landscape design but rather a larger scale, more of a small commercial scale. The base information I have is GIS information converted to DWG. I have tried importing both DWG and PDF format. At first the PDF was not to a proper scale. Then when I had it scaled properly it basically crashed the program and so did the DWG. I am very frustrated. I thought this would be easy to use but it is looking more and more like this is not the software for our needs. Any suggestions before we give up?
Patricia G.  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 19, 2024 10:52:01 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi there,

Originally Posted by: LHooks Go to Quoted Post
Any suggestions before we give up?
Yes, I have several suggestions for you.
In order to create the topography of your project, you can use several methods:

Option 1 - Import your DWG file and convert the information to topography elements (IMO, the best option). Notice that, if you experience problems importing your DWG file is because the file includes some elements that create interferences (hidden elements or blocks, old versions, hidden or blocked layers, etc) So, review your files and try to keep just the lines. In the image below, you can see a partial DWG file imported in the program.

Topo.JPG (70kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

Option 2 - If you have an image (jpg, png, etc) you can import the image and trace the topography using the elements in the Landscape tab.

Option 3 - PDF files are not a good option for topography. Of course, you can convert your PDF to image and follow option 2 above.

Punch, as any program, has a learning curve. The best way to learn the program, IMO, is practice + practice + practice => Take the time to read, search and follow the User Guide (this is important) => try to create elements not related with your project, so you will become familiar with the commands and how to manage the different components.

If you are interested, my eBook for Punch V22 for Windows includes all the features, lots of tutorials, screen guides, tables, examples, rendering results as well as images. In addition, it includes tutorials about cleaning and importing DWG files (described in option 1 above), converting files to topography, trace files, etc.

Hope this helps.

Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store