logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dalun  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 28, 2022 6:27:54 PM(UTC)
Dalun

I am struggling to have 2 different exterior wall thicknesses (11" and 7.5"). The 3.5" difference is stone veneer vs siding. When I change the thickness of any exterior wall segment, all of the connected exterior walls change -- so I get all at 11" or all at 7.5". Is there a way around this? I prefer not to put an extra wall on the outside for the 3.5" stone. Thank you.
Patricia G.  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 28, 2022 7:05:23 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi there,

There are 2 situations:
1 - Exterior walls => in Punch, the exterior walls must be an enclosed perimeter. In this enclosed perimeter, the walls share the thickness.
2 - Interior walls => if you created an enclosed perimeter (exterior walls), you can add the interior walls using different thickness, as you can see in this image.

Walls with different thickness.jpg (34kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

Important concepts:
- if you have two walls and you join them using the arrows of your keyboard, you are connecting the walls => this means that the walls are together but they are independent => they don't share the properties and work as 2 separated walls.
- if you have two walls and you join them using the mouse, you are merging the walls => this means that the walls are fused => they share the properties (including thickness) and they work as only one wall.

Note that exterior walls should be fused.
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
Dalun  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 29, 2022 1:33:54 AM(UTC)
Dalun

Hi Patricia, Thank you for your quick and very informative response on the two wall connection methods and their subtleties. So it looks like there is no good solution for adding extra thickness to some exterior walls for the stone veneer and not others.
Patricia G.  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 29, 2022 3:08:32 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi there,

You can use a workaround:

Create the walls in the perimeter with thickness= 7.5" => select the wall with different thickness => create an identical wall with thickness= 3.5" => place this new wall on the side of the 7.5"=> in this way, the thickness of the wall will be 7.5"+ 3.5" = 11"

Hope this helps.
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store