logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Patricia G.  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 6, 2010 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi Becky,

You don't describe your video card and processor specs however, there are some basic parameters
- If you have an onboard video card you can't upgrade just the video card, because it is an integrated unit
- In my opinion, onboard video cards and chipsets(almost all of them) have low performance for rendering purposes
- In my experience, just a good video card doesn't solve the issue--> you'll need a good "render set"--> good processor (2.6 GHz or up)+ plenty of memory (4 Gb or up) + a good videocard (512 Mb or up).

Now, if you wish to go to better levels, say RAM= 8 Gb, notice that not all the OS are able to handle this, so you'll need a 64 bits OS

If you wish to post all the specs of your computer, and additional questions, I;ll glad to help

Patricia
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
BeckyP  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 8, 2010 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
BeckyP

Hi Patricia,

According to what I could find, my video and processor specs:

Intel Pentium Duo 2.2 GHz

RAM 3 Gb

Video Card:

Intel G33/G31 Express Chipset family
286 MB Graphics Memory
System Vido Memory 128 MB
Dedicated Video Memory 0
Shared Sytem Memory 158 MB
Set @ 32 bit (64 bit not an option)
Screen (Monitor) refresh rate 75 Hz - (only other option is 65 Hz)

OS - Vista

Is this the info you need? Based on your numbers, it looks like my system is a bit slow for faster rendering. And am guessing, that since there is 0 dedicated Video Memory, the video card is "onboard". (???) Can you tell if my desk top is upgradeable?

Thanks for your help,

Becky
Patricia G.  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 8, 2010 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi Becky,

Yes, this is the information and nope, you can't upgrade the system unless you change the motherboard, and in this case, I'd suggest to buy a new computer.
If you see your specs and numbers, they are very clear--> you have a chipset --> this means that, for rendering purposes, you have just a chip in your motherboard. For this reason, you don't have dedicated video memory.
Now, check the interesting part--> you stated that you have 286 MB Graphics Memory --> System Video Memory 128 MB --> Shared System Memory 158 MB --> Dedicated Video Memory 0 --> Notice that 128 MB + 158 MB = 286 MB--> so as your shared system is consuming resources for rendering calculations, there are low resources for graphic purposes, because they are shared resources

In other words, if you intend to do serious rendering, I'd suggest a new computer with a dedicated video card (with a good cooling system), plus good processor and enough memory

If you wish to be sure you are buying the right computer, post the new specs here or email me

Patricia
BeckyP  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 9, 2010 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
BeckyP

Hi Patricia,

Thanks for confirming my suspicions!

My next computer will be a laptop. Hope to buy in the next month or so. Grateful if you can adivise what you use or if you can give me the names of a couple of brands / model #s so I can check (and learn the) specs before I buy.

Very grateful for your help.

Becky
Patricia G.  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 9, 2010 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi Becky,

the brand of the computer is not very important (BTW my laptop is Toshiba), but the brand, model, type and capabilities of the components are very important
Processor--> I'd recommend Intel (2.6 GHz or up)
Video Card--> I'd recommend ATI Radeon (512 Mb or up)--> The ATI Radeon cards manufactured by HIS have a double deck cooling system and work like a charm. The new NVidia cards work fine, however, not all of the models work with full accelerations
Memory--> 4 Gb or up

Good luck with your new computer!! :-)

Patricia