logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Patricia G.  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 15, 2015 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi Tom,

Thank you for buying my eBook! :-)

Regarding your questions:

1 - First an important note: in my eBooks (all of them) there are links to other topics, tools, etc. So, by clicking on the links, you will get additional resources. This is important, for example for your first question "Alignment on Table top onto the legs? I was only able to get it aligned by switching to 2D and “nudging” the top onto the legs. Is that the best way?" => the step 8 of the tutorial (page 66) explains the alignment and it is linked with the alignment tool, that is the best way to align the elements.

2 - Regarding your second question "you started out with a 12 point cylinder, but when I drew my circle, it only had 4 points. Should I have used the multi-gon tool? And in either case, how did you get it to 12 points?" => in the tutorial, the Step 1 reads "using the 2D drawing tools create a polygon => set the curve tension." => as you see, I didn't start with a circle. Now, if you create a polygon with 12 sides, you will get 12 points. The "curve tension" (this concept also includes a link for additional definitions and resources) converts the straight lino to curved lines, depending of the value of the tension (more tension = more curve).

Regarding the third question: "The remaining elements and points can’t be selected and modified, as shown in the image/" nope, as you can see, the image is showing the hide detection, therefore these points can't be selected.

The problem with the Sketchup objects is the number of polygons that make the objects very heavy (in kb)and therefore they will slow your 3D process. I'd recommend the 3D Custom Workshop. If you have my eBook "Importing, Exporting and Printing", check the polygons issue, starting at page 13.

Patricia
--> My website: www.punchhelpers.com
--> My all in one e-book: Learning Punch Software (R): Training, Tools & Tutorials - Second Edition
--> My e-book: Learning Punch Software (R): Basic & Advanced Training-Second Edition
--> My e-book: Learning Punch Software (R): Importing, Exporting and Printing-Second Edition
--> My e-book: Learning Punch Software (R): Power Tools-Second Edition
--> My free e-book: Learning Punch Software (R): Mini - Tutorials
--> My e-books free video presentation: Pat's e-books
--> My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/punchhelpers.links
--> My Tips & Tricks notes: https://www.facebook.com/punchhelpers.links/notes
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
Newell, Tom  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2015 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Newell, Tom

Hi Patricia,

I want to create a copper pipe, 3/4" diameter that would be in the shape of an oval or an oblong shape (it has something to do with the water pressure regulator). Anyway, what would be the best method to create a round pipe in the shape of an oval? (Think of it as a hula hoop, only smaller and more oblong. LOL).

I tried to make a rectangle, knowing I could turn it into a column-like object, but couldn't figure out how to fillet the corners...

Secondly, when does the Custom Workshop Pro get used? The 3D custom workshop seems so capable, I don't understand when or why a person would need the CWP?
Patricia G.  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2015 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi Tom,

Not sure what do you mean by "fillet the corner"

As explained, you can start by creating the 3D solid (as the leg of the table) or by creating the 2D shape and extrude it (as the column)
In your case, these are the 2 options:
1 - Elements in blue in the image attached => You can create a 2D circle => select it => resize object (outlined in green in the image attached) => set the dims as desired so the circle will become an oval (in this case, I changed the 16" x 16" circle to a 16" x 20" oval => Extrude the oval => you will get the oval or elliptic cylinder cylinder.
2 - Elements in red in the image attached => You can create a 2D circle => Extrude the circle => select it => resize object (outlined in green in the image attached) => set the dims as desired so the circle will become an oval (in this case, I changed the 16" x 16" circle to a 16" x 20" oval (pointed with black arrows in the image attached) => you will get the oval or elliptic cylinder cylinder.

Custom Workshop Pro: it does conversions between more sophisticated formats, and it has some additional tools.

Patricia
--> My all in one e-book: Learning Punch Software (R): Training, Tools & Tutorials - Second Edition
--> My e-book: Learning Punch Software (R): Basic & Advanced Training-Second Edition
--> My e-book: Learning Punch Software (R): Importing, Exporting and Printing-Second Edition
Newell, Tom  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2015 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Newell, Tom

Hi Pat,

I have figured out (thanks to your tutorial) how to extrude the oval into a cylinder. What I'm trying to get is an oval-shaped ring...like a garden hose laying on the ground in the shape of an oval. I need the diameter of the "garden hose" to be round, and the overall shape to be that of an oval. In 3d workshop pro, there is something that is close to what I want, called a "torus"...what I want is like a torus, only I'd like an oval shape. Thoughts?

LOL, I just now realized I can attach a picture. Hah! The item on the left is what I'm trying to create. The vertical water pipe is easy, I'd like to add the horizontal, oval shaped thing.

Tom
Patricia G.  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 16, 2015 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi Tom,

Glad to know that the tutorial helped! :-)

If you wish to post images --> follow these steps:
- upload your picture to a free online photo album like Photobucket or Flickr or Picassa, for example
- Look for the link of your picture (usually, photo albums provide a "link for a forum" script) --> copy the full URL --> Paste the link in your post.

In order to develop a torus with the 3DCW, you can use the "Revolve" tool, following the instructions and notes in the eBook (page 54)

Patricia