logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Egan, Howard  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 16, 2020 2:14:51 AM(UTC)
Egan, Howard

I have some areas in my landscape that have a slope in a confined region. The slope tool doesn't seem to have any boundaries. How should I approach this?

Just for simplicity, assume I have a rectangular region bounded by some retaining walls, but the interior region isn't flat. How would I give that region a grade?

I tried messing around with using the contour tool, but that doesn't seem to have any horizontal boundaries to clip the contour against either. It also seems to add a lot of distortion to the topography outside of the lines in areas that should be flat.

Many thanks.
Forum Host  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 16, 2020 2:21:00 AM(UTC)
Forum Host

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Hi there,

Please inform the exact name and version number of your program (V15 or V18 or V20, etc)
Different programs and versions include different features, so we need the information in order to provide the correct solutions.
Punch! Software Forum Host
Questions or Comments about the Forum? Email Me!
[email protected]
Egan, Howard  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 16, 2020 2:40:20 AM(UTC)
Egan, Howard

Landscape Design 20 version 20.0.1.
Patricia G.  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 16, 2020 5:10:03 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi there,

You can set the slope with the slope tool or with two topography lines (with limited length). After this, set the flat sides using building pads.

Hope this helps.

Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
Egan, Howard  
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 16, 2020 5:34:47 AM(UTC)
Egan, Howard

Hi Thanks:

No that doesn't help, the slope tool only sets the slope for the entire drawin. There doesn't appear to be a way to confine what the slope to a specific area unless I'm missing something. If there is please let me know.

Contour lines also don't do it. In fact they introduce all kinds of undulations in the topography all over the drawing in areas that are no where near the topography changes.

Please clarify how these tools are supposed to work.

Thanks

Patricia G.  
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 16, 2020 4:50:01 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi there,

Please, see the image attached.

In 2D, the slope tool covers all the work space, however, if you set building pads on the sides (pointed in blue in the image below), the slope becomes confined to the area between the building pads (pointed in red in the image below).

Hope this helps.

Egan, Howard  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2020 7:12:31 PM(UTC)
Egan, Howard

Thanks Patricia,

I wasn't understanding then I read how to do it in your book. That cleared things up, was a little disappointed with the outcome that the program won't create a discontinuity (hard break in elevation) between two building pads, but I assume it attempts to create a legitimate topographpic model of the entire property without any breaks.

Reducing the patch properties to the minimum and topo accuracy to maximum made it better, although I do have some drainages that are only 2 feet wide so I guess its always going to be a compromise.

Is there a way to hide a Building Pad? They get in the way once they are established and make it almost impossible to select other things that are right on top of the pad lines. I tried doing hide topography line, but assuming that doesn't work once its converted to a building pad. Uh, scratch that, hide topography lines isn't working for topography lines either. It only seems to show/hide if I am not on the Lanscape Tab (which is exactly when I need it to show/hide the most).

Patricia G.  
#8 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2020 8:30:55 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi there,

You're welcome! Glad to know that my eBook helped ThumpUp

Hiding the Building pads: try this trick => select the Building Pad => go to the Draw Styles Tab => Change the color of the lines and text to white (255,255,255) => the Building Pad and the label will "disappear". See more details about this procedure starting on page 171 of my eBook.

Hope this helps.