logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
X0mb13  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 22, 2023 8:12:33 PM(UTC)
X0mb13

Rank: Newbie

Joined: 3/22/2023(UTC)
Posts: 2
United States

Thanks: 1 times
Ver. 21, Architectural series, Windows 10
Intel i7
32GB RAM
GTX 980 Ti
SSD

I'm sure I've done something dumb, but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

A year or so ago, I started modeling our ranch style house in the software. It was initially intended to just be a basic visual aide, but as time has progressed, I've put more and more effort into making it look accurate. Recently, I added a basement level to the design, using the floors dropdown. I *THINK* I did everything correctly, as the floor layout appeared as intended, however, now I have a two-fold issue.

1) for some reason, it keeps trying to automatically add a roof to the basement level. It's not poking up through the main floor, but every time I change a height or elevation in the basement, it recreates it again. I've deleted the "roof" several times, but it keeps appearing.

2) somehow, grass seems to be hiding the ceiling of the basement. I attempted to put a cutout in the main floor so that I could add some stairs up from the basement. I enlarged the cutout thickness and can now see it on both levels, however, where the hole should be, there is grass instead. The basement ceiling and hole look as they should whenever I'm navigating in 3d or changing my viewing angle, but as soon as I stop and it re-renders, the grass covers the ceiling and hole again. I've verified that the walls are all connected. Everything renders as I would expect a normal room to do, but every time I stop moving the grass hides the basement ceiling or when looking down the hole from the main floor, it appears to be under the floor.

basement walls are 9ft, elevation of basement is -9ft

3) *bonus question* is there a way to change between floors in 3D? I thought I used to be able to freely move between them, but changing floors in the dropdown doesn't change my viewing position unless I reset the 3D view.
Patricia G.  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 22, 2023 9:34:15 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 11/1/2002(UTC)
Posts: 7,636

Thanks: 8 times
Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi there,

Originally Posted by: X0mb13 Go to Quoted Post
1) for some reason, it keeps trying to automatically add a roof to the basement level. It's not poking up through the main floor, but every time I change a height or elevation in the basement, it recreates it again. I've deleted the "roof" several times, but it keeps appearing.

Check the settings => by clicking on the exterior part of the exterior walls you will see a yellow band => click on the band => Properties bar => Options => the settings menu will open => the option "Automatically generates panels when changed" must be unchecked.

Originally Posted by: X0mb13 Go to Quoted Post
2) somehow, grass seems to be hiding the ceiling of the basement. I attempted to put a cutout in the main floor so that I could add some stairs up from the basement. I enlarged the cutout thickness and can now see it on both levels, however, where the hole should be, there is grass instead. The basement ceiling and hole look as they should whenever I'm navigating in 3d or changing my viewing angle, but as soon as I stop and it re-renders, the grass covers the ceiling and hole again. I've verified that the walls are all connected. Everything renders as I would expect a normal room to do, but every time I stop moving the grass hides the basement ceiling or when looking down the hole from the main floor, it appears to be under the floor.

Two important settings:
- Check if the exterior walls are forming an enclosed perimeter
- While you are flying or walking, the program considers that it is preparing the project and when you release the mouse, the program delivers the results, therefore if all is OK when you release the mouse, then you don't have problems.

Originally Posted by: X0mb13 Go to Quoted Post
3) *bonus question* is there a way to change between floors in 3D? I thought I used to be able to freely move between them, but changing floors in the dropdown doesn't change my viewing position unless I reset the 3D view.

You must change the elevation of the yellow man or chopper. For these tools you can define their elevation using the right button of the mouse or manually by double clicking the tool. So for example, double click the chopper tool => the default elevation is 1000" => if you wish, you can change the flying elevation to 800" or another desired value.

Punch, as any program, has a learning curve. The best way to learn the program, IMO, is practice + practice + practice => Read and follow the User Guide (this is important), see the videos => In order to get started, try to create elements or a simple plan not related with your project, so you will become familiar with the commands and how to manage the different components and solutions.

If you are interested, my eBook for V21 Learning Punch! Software: Training, Tools and Tutorials for V21 for Windows includes more than 610 pages and more than 1300 color images (showing all the features, tutorials, screen guides, tables, examples, rendering results and screenshots as well as the updates). Topics and tools are linked on the screen using more than 2300 hyperlinks.
You will find full chapters regarding topography, elevations and navigating in 3D.
Also, the purchase includes a gift.

Hope this helps.
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
thanks 1 user thanked Patricia G. for this useful post.
X0mb13 on 3/22/2023(UTC)
X0mb13  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 22, 2023 11:39:57 PM(UTC)
X0mb13

Rank: Newbie

Joined: 3/22/2023(UTC)
Posts: 2
United States

Thanks: 1 times
Thanks Patricia!



Taking the direction above, I was able to get the basement roof issue sorted out.

Regarding the grass issue, when clicking on the yellow/tan perimeter band, I needed to turn on "Excavate Topography" - once that was done, the indoor grass ceiling was gone.

and moving between floors - how the heck did I forget that you can go up and down in walking view by holding down the right mouse button? I guess I must have spent too much time working with a single floor!
Patricia G.  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 23, 2023 12:19:42 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 11/1/2002(UTC)
Posts: 7,636

Thanks: 8 times
Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
You're welcome! ThumpUp
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
Users browsing this topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.