logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DavidOB  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2024 5:26:41 AM(UTC)
DavidOB

United States

Hello, I created a project about 15 years ago using Pro Platinum V8 on Windows XP and set it aside after months of work. I just purchased Professional V24 and am trying to update the old project, now running Windows 10. When loading the project I am receiving an error saying it is unable to locate the Topography file (.PTO) associated with the design.

I clicked “Yes” in response to its question about whether I wanted to load a new Topography file, navigated it to the folder where I had copied the old .PTO file, and clicked “Open”, but nothing happens. It doesn’t seem to change anything in the actual project.

The Terrain tab is blank. None of the Terrain function buttons seem to work (for instance, I can’t draw topography lines). I see the house plus trees, etc. in the 3D window, and all of the other 2D elements of the project seem to be intact, but I am still unable to see any grass or ground/terrain features.

What do I need to do to restore the old Topography?
Patricia G.  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2024 12:53:13 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 144 time(s) in 142 post(s)
Hi there,

Verify if the topography elements appear in the Landscape tab

Or, just in case, check all the tabs / levels.
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
DavidOB  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2024 3:31:17 PM(UTC)
DavidOB

United States

The topography does not appear to be anywhere in the project on any of the tabs, as far as I can see. Only the landscape elements appear in the Landscape tab. The Terrain tab is empty. The landscape elements and the house itself are viewable in the 3D view, just not any ground/grass (only white space).
Punch V24 Missing Topography.png (126kb) downloaded 2 time(s). Punch V24 Missing PTO Error.png (14kb) downloaded 1 time(s). Punch V24 PTO File Location.png (53kb) downloaded 1 time(s).
Patricia G.  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2024 3:36:38 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi there,

I will need to check the files. Zip the files and attach the zip file to this post.
DavidOB  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2024 4:10:58 PM(UTC)
DavidOB

United States

Project & PTO Files.zipx (213kb) downloaded 1 time(s).
Project & PTO files zipped and attached.
Patricia G.  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2024 7:50:30 PM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Hi there,

Thank you for posting your files. These are the issues I found:

- The PTO file integration process works fine. As you can see in the image attached, the topography lines are in the First Floor => Landscape tab. Probably, they were in this location in the original file. If you wish, you can move these lines to the terrain tab.

Plan 2D.jpg (65kb) downloaded 2 time(s).

- The topography lines show several issues with their elevations / location. For example, check the topo lines on the right => on the same place you have lines with elevations +60" and -243".

- In Punch, it is always important to check and customize the settings. Check Design => Options => 3D preferences => Visible 3D elements => the Lot options must be checked to visualize the topo options (it was unchecked).

- In addition, I'd suggest that you review walls and roofs.

Some additional tips Smile :
Punch, as any program, has a learning curve. The best way to learn the program, IMO, is practice + practice + practice => Read and follow the manual (this is important), see the videos => In order to get started, try to create elements or a simple plan not related with your project, so you will become familiar with the commands and how to manage the different components and solutions.

If you are interested, my eBook for Punch V24 includes all the features, lots of tutorials, screen guides, examples, how-tos as well as images for each setting. In addition, it includes a full chapter about topography.

Hope this helps.