logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Patricia G.  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 4, 2007 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi tamshere,

When you mask a plant picture or any other picture you intend to insert in Punch, the object in the picture must be touching the base of the picture.

Check this example with a cathedral
Imagine that your image has 30'x 60', and the bottom of the image (grass) has 5'x 60'. If you painted black the grass area, Punch will render the 30'x 60' image with a 5'x 60' transparent area. To allow the "house's landing", you need to crop the 5'x 60' area (in this case the image elevation will be 0") or change the image's elevation to -60" so the 5'x 60' will remain under the house level.

In the image attached, you can see 4 pictures inserted. The first has the grass "as is", the second has the grass masked in black, so Punch rendered it transparent (but the picture's size is the same), the third has the grass masked in pink (without use, just to check the situation) and in the last image, I cut the grass, so the cathedral is in the same level of the grass

Hope this helps

Patricia
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store
tamshere  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 2, 2009 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
tamshere

Hello again-

I posted the original inquiry on this topic, and while your info didn't solve the problem, I just never had the time to re-pursue. But this problem is still bugging me. I have had many pictures with the object in the picture touching the base of the picture, but they still float. I've also had some pictures with hardly anything touching the base (just a small trunk) and they don't float. I've experimented with cropping, coloring the base...still doesn't seem to work. I'll try to attach some pics as examples.

Any other help you can offer would sure be appreciated...thanks, and Happy New Year!
Patricia G.  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 5, 2009 12:00:00 AM(UTC)
Patricia G.

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Hi Tamara,

I received your email and I answered it today
As per your request and for learning purposes, I am attaching one of your images, as well as an additional comment
This is the image of the plant Tamara sent me

Just an additional note / trick: as discussed, the problem happens (in a way or other) when the masked plant doesn't touch the bottom of the picture. So, how can you determine if this problem is happening and how to visualize the masked plant?--> After you used the Plant Editor Power Tool, Punch will create a set of 3 files (PTX, PTI, PPV)--> this means that the plan can be visualized as a texture (PTX) for example. So, if your Punch version has the Material Workshop Power Tool, you can easily open the PTX plant file and visualize it

You can see the black area at the bottom of the PTX--> this is why your plant is floating

You can also right click in the name of the PTX file (using the Windows Explorer) and open it with a graphic program (the PTX file is a bmp file). Using MSPaint, for example, you can re shape your file without the black bottom, and save it as *.PTX (you'll need to add the .PTX suffix manually)

I hope this helps

Patricia
Patricia G.- Forum Moderator
My Website: Punchhelpers
My Facebook page: Punchhelpers on Facebook
My eBooks: Pat’s eBooks
My Store: Punchhelpers Store